• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Video of Chinese J-15 carrier ops...

Renegade One

None
Prowler's wing is wet outboard of the wing fold.
Never thought I'd say this to you Brett...but "your's is bigger...and thicker".;)

Some other stuff they will need/learn over time:
-Reflective tape on cranials
-Need for a "Tilly" (crash crane)

They have some interesting deck lighting arrays that I can't quite figure out....for helo recoveries, perhaps (the "T-Bar" shaped thingie?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The French have an interesting version of the ball that gives you line up cues as well (I'm pretty sure). I'll find a pic if someone doesn't beat me to it. Time for chow.

jmcquate

Contributor
Never thought I'd say this to you Brett...but "your's is bigger...and thicker".;)

-Need for a "Tilly" (crash crane)

They have some interesting deck lighting arrays that I can't quite figure out....for helo recoveries, perhaps (the "T-Bar" shaped thingie?
And doing it at night.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
wow, I am guessing that the high number of officers that were lost during the fire was due to them being trapped in their staterooms?

That's correct. Good friend and fellow A7 IP with me in VA-122 narrowly missed dying that day ...he had the SDO duty, and was in the RR when it all went down ...lost his room-mate and several other friends. :(

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
... The result? The Flankers used by the Russians and Chinese can only take off with very light fuel and weapons loads in comparison to the loads that US and French carrier aircraft can be launched with.
It's kind of funny that a light fuel and weapons load on a Flanker will probably make it as capable as a fully loaded Hornet...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
From what little I remember from engineering school, I'd guess that the flanker or fulcrum would need to be modified if they were ever going to try and use it with a catapult.

jmcquate

Contributor
With the weight limits the ski-jump has I'm assuming that a tanker with buddy stores is not in the picture.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
-Need for a "Tilly" (crash crane)?
Maybe also, that backlit "I-Pad like" thingy they use to show Pilots the launch gross weight, for their approval.
wow, I am guessing that the high number of officers that were lost during the fire was due to them being trapped in their staterooms?
True. The fatalities included CDR Rod Carter, CVW-16 Commander (CAG). He was buried at sea, with full honors...in accordance with his wishes.
BzB

HuggyU2

None
Is it fair to assume those were all auto-lands?
I just don't see these low-time Commie carrier pilots making this work, even though it seemed to be perfect conditions.

Side note: you think they have an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet on the boat? With Gen Tso's Chicken?
If so, what happens when the sailors get hungry 30 minutes after eating??

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I just don't see these low-time Commie carrier pilots making this work, even though it seemed to be perfect conditions.

Can't get into numbers on here obviously, but that's not an accurate assumption. And I'd be surprised if those are coupled passes - I'd consider developing a functioning equivalent of Mode I ACLS a bigger accomplishment than a few safe passes by a test pilot under daytime VFR.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Refueled from what? If they are doing blue water ops then the 'tanker' will have the same limitations as the other aircraft launching, if closer to shore I don't know though they don't have much from what little I have seen.

The Chinese have a very limited tanker fleet (single digits) though they are trying to buy some Il-78s from Russia. As far as I know they are a LONG was off from having an organic tanker capability on that carrier.

Think of this carrier (and any that follow for the mid-term) as being used to play spoiler within the "first island chain" (Japan to Phillipines) and bully neighbors like Vietnam over the Spratly and Senkaku islands. Like Flash said, this is a long ways off from a blue water capability. However, they could do some interesting things if they integrate it properly with their relatively advanced ballistic missile and EA capability.

The Chinese military at this time is very stove-piped. They are quite advanced in certain fields (and in those cases usually by exactly copying western technology and tactics), but others they have chosen to disregard.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
It wouldn't be that hard for them to convert their Flankers into organic tankers if they haven't already. Now I don't know how much give they would have, but those are big engines, and they don't have to do cyclic ops.