• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS USS Gabby Gifford

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah, the letters LB&J shouldn't be anywhere near anything wearing stars and bars in my opinion. The NVN and VC may have pulled the trigger, but he put our guys there for no reason. Add McNamara and Kissinger to that statement. May they all roast long and hard in hell.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
So a supply ship is named Milk. Strangely appropriate...

On that note, it would be great to hear the name of a ship, and immediately know what class it is (e.g. LA & Ohio class subs). Most of the time I hear a ship name and don't know if it's a CVN, a DDG, or a containership. It's nice to see them building the new Enterprise. While we're at it, let's bring back Ranger, Constellation, Kitty Hawk, and Shangri-La. Oh, and how about the USS America? It's only the name of our country, after all...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Rule Number One...to get a commissioned naval vessel named after you you should be DEAD. Otherwise names like Intrepid, America, Essex, and so on are just fine.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

At least he was also a Navy veteran as well, unlike many of the others.

On that note, it would be great to hear the name of a ship, and immediately know what class it is (e.g. LA & Ohio class subs). Most of the time I hear a ship name and don't know if it's a CVN, a DDG, or a containership. It's nice to see them building the new Enterprise. While we're at it, let's bring back Ranger, Constellation, Kitty Hawk, and Shangri-La. Oh, and how about the USS America? It's only the name of our country, after all...

In most cases you can still tell, sort of. If you are familiar with Navy history many of the DDG names should be recognizable and cruisers and LHA/D's named after battles or previous famous ships.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Well...I guess we have it better than the Brits...they voted for RRV Boaty McBoatface.

RN Boat.jpg

Although we could end up with USS Droney McDrone, CVN(U) 1.

nav2-drone-uav-carrier.jpg

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_America_(LHA-6)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I am a lifelong fan of the novel Starship Troopers, by Robert Heinlein. If you have not read it as part of your military education, then please consider putting it on your list asap. This thread reminds me of a few lines from the final chapter... (regarding ship names)

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 12.57.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 12.57.48 PM.png

CAMike

None
Contributor
I wonder who might have the huevos to actually take command of T-AO 206?

Ding Ding.... Ding Ding.... Milk Arriving.