• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS USS Gabby Gifford

Pags

N/A
pilot
"Fish don't vote."

As a historical note, ship naming has ALWAYS been political. States and cities used to get ships named in their honor because their citizens raised the funds via war bonds, etc to get the ship built.

jmcquate

Contributor
Interestingly, of the Presidents who have carriers bearing their names, Republicans outnumber Democrats 6 to 2 (only counting JFK once).
Dems have 3. FDR, JFK and Truman. As for Lincoln, even being the first Republican President, both parties now sorta see him as their own.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was only counting ships currently in service, but either way, it's still an interesting (though unsurprising) statistic.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Symbolism is very important in the military, why the hell do you think we have wings and take such pride in them among countless other things? This sort of thing doesn't hold the same meaning or the symbolism that another name might hold like Yorktown, Bataan or Bulkeley. It may be a small thing but it is still important to many, including me, and it adds up.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe that named her that because she doesn't have any guns?
holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I don't know. Still waiting on the USS Nixon, and USS Wilson. And they were both two-term, wartime presidents.

One who resigned in disgrace after committing a crime and another who almost single-handedly began American isolationism and put the world on the path to WW2. As much as people hate President Obama I don't think you can really compare him to either. ;)

jmcquate

Contributor
who almost single-handedly began American isolationism and put the world on the path to WW2.
I'll give you Nixon, but Wilson , for all of his faults (horrible racist jackass), the Germans and the Japanese put the world on the path to WWII. Naming ships for our Navy is political. Whether after States, Cities, or for a President (or John Stennis), its political. I wish we were more like the RN in ship naming......HMS Battleaxe is bad ass.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll give you Nixon, but Wilson , for all of his faults (horrible racist jackass), the Germans and the Japanese put the world on the path to WWII. Naming ships for our Navy is political. Whether after States, Cities, or for a President (or John Stennis), its political. I wish we were more like the RN in ship naming......HMS Battleaxe is bad ass.

Well, we've got an LBJ under construction, and as wartime presidents go, he was more controversial than Wilson. And if you want embarrassingly racist attitudes in a politician, don't look to closely at Stennis' record on segregation.

The counter-argument about Her Majesty's Navy and its badass ship names is that maybe if they were more politically savvy in naming their ships, they'd have more ships to name.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The counter-argument about Her Majesty's Navy and its badass ship names is that maybe if they were more politically savvy in naming their ships, they'd have more ships to name.
I think their problem goes well beyond the naming of ships.