• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS USS Gabby Gifford

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am a little surprised you didn't know about this before, this is old news.

Just the latest in a long line of blatantly political names stretching back to at least the USS Sam Rayburn and continuing with the USS Carl Vinson and too many others.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am a little surprised you didn't know about this before, this is old news.

Just the latest in a long line of blatantly political names stretching back to at least the USS Sam Rayburn and continuing with the USS Carl Vinson and too many others.
I thought at least Carl Vinson DID something for the U.S. Navy.

IRfly

None
I dislike the idea just because I don't like ships being named after folks who are still alive. Otherwise, can't see why this is a big deal.

Oh, and that "Seth McFarlane character" comment... Pure class.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought at least Carl Vinson DID something for the U.S. Navy.

And he deserved a carrier named after him, in the same class as one of the Navy's greatest heroes and the man who led the allies to victory in Europe among others? Pretty weak justification for such an honor, almost as weak as the one for Giffords.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And he deserved a carrier named after him, in the same class as one of the Navy's greatest heroes and the man who led the allies to victory in Europe among others? Pretty weak justification for such an honor, almost as weak as the one for Giffords.
Speaking of victory in Europe, Sir Winston only got a DDG to boot.

exNavyOffRec

I dislike the idea just because I don't like ships being named after folks who are still alive. Otherwise, can't see why this is a big deal.

Oh, and that "Seth McFarlane character" comment... Pure class.

I myself feel there are many many many more deserving people, ones that have either given their life to save another in combat or ones that came close to giving their life.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would be nice, but ain't gonna happen. The only thing a cool sounding name does is motivate the crew... and the folks who are paying the bills don't even have that in their scan.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interestingly, of the Presidents who have carriers bearing their names, Republicans outnumber Democrats 6 to 2 (only counting JFK once).