• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Executive Flight Detachment (HMX-1 and Presidential Helo)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VMX-22 does the OT&E stuff that HMX does with Phrogs. No real need to duplicate efforts.

Exactly. As backdrop, prior to 2003 and creation of VMX-22, HMX-1 provided an OTD (Operational Test Director) and pilots for MV-22 Operational Testing. In a way, VMX-22 sprung from the forehead of HMX-1 in order to have a dedicated Tilt-Rotor OT unit when the Osprey returned to flight after the hiatus in all flight testing after initial mishaps.

abt123

I bought a book and
according to Lynn Montross "Cavalry of the Sky" May 27 1950 is the anwer to my original question.

Bye.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think we can all agree that an Osprey would look pretty shit-hot in an HMX paint-scheme...

What, white wings and midwing with green fuselage? I suppose.

I'm still rooting for the darker shiny gray, but I think we're sticking with haze gray, unfortunately. And now here I am, sounding like the "E" channel for aircraft...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think we can all agree that an Osprey would look pretty shit-hot in an HMX paint-scheme...

What, white wings and midwing with green fuselage? I suppose.

Only the VH-3's and the VH-60's, the helos that usually carry the president, have the green and white paint scheme. The H-46's and H-53's in the squadron have a gloss green paint scheme with 'racing stripes', no white top.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Was a Presidential V-22 ever even seriously considered (VV-22)? Or was it assumed it'd be a long time before it was considered "reliable" enough? Or that the prop wash would destroy the White House landscaping?

No - the replacement for the obsolete VH-3D is the VH-71 - a sophisticated and modern European rotorcraft. Hopefully the Leader of the Free World can now fly in a up to date piece of engineering and technology.

mct_vh71800px_071217.JPG

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
No - the replacement for the obsolete VH-3D is the VH-71 - a sophisticated and modern European rotorcraft. Hopefully the Leader of the Free World can now fly in a up to date piece of engineering and technology.

Well, duh.

That wasn't the question. I think everyone knows that the VH-71, formerly the US-101, formerly the EH-101, is the replacement. It won a controversial competition with Sikorsky's S-92. The question was whether the Osprey was considered at all. I don't think that ever got past the concept phase, if at all. Someone with more knowledge of the competition could probably fill in more on how they winnow out the field at various phases.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Well, duh.

That wasn't the question. I think everyone knows that the VH-71, formerly the US-101, formerly the EH-101, is the replacement. It won a controversial competition with Sikorsky's S-92. The question was whether the Osprey was considered at all. I don't think that ever got past the concept phase, if at all. Someone with more knowledge of the competition could probably fill in more on how they winnow out the field at various phases.

V-22 dabbled in the CSAR-X competition against the same 71/92 entrants but was withdrawn. It would never have been suitable for the presidential missions for a number of reasons and was not entered.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
V-22 dabbled in the CSAR-X competition against the same 71/92 entrants but was withdrawn. It would never have been suitable for the presidential missions for a number of reasons and was not entered.

I would venture to guess that one of those reasons would be because the rotor wash would probobly blow over the press in the viewing area...not that that would be such a bad thing
evilgrin0007.gif

busdriver

None
I would imagine the un-proven factor had a lot to do with the Osprey not being looked at. As to CSAR-X, one of my previous commanders swore the Osprey was the perfect CSAR bird (he was slightly biased after being involved in its development), but with as much as it costs (the CV version) there's no chance the AF would buy 141 of the them.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Is there a reason that the 53 was not selected. It seems that the American made -53 would be plenty big enough and have a proven track record to be competitive. Does anyone know if it was even considered?