• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

usaf times f-22 obogs

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The thing with the USAF guys was interesting - in the way they were convinced to do it. Didn't catch the original airing, but found this. Seems like the Congressman sitting in the corner is what gave them some leverage.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The thing with the USAF guys was interesting - in the way they were convinced to do it. Didn't catch the original airing, but found this. Seems like the Congressman sitting in the corner is what gave them some leverage.

Leverage? Yes. Immunity? No.

Those guys are going to get corn holed by their chain of command.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I'm not too sure about this. What they did is a very PC thing, and that is the way of the future around here (in the military).

How so? Is it PC to talk to the press without approval? I would think that's almost the opposite of PC.

They won't get court-martialed or anything, or even NJP'd.....but it's safe to say that they're at terminal rank.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
How so? Is it PC to talk to the press without approval? I would think that's almost the opposite of PC.

They won't get court-martialed or anything, or even NJP'd.....but it's safe to say that they're at terminal rank.
No way HD … not with a Congressman on their side and the media labeling them as “whistleblowers”. If these two dudes sense any reprisals, they start a shit-storm by contacting that Congressman or the media. No Colonel or General will risk their next promotion on these two cats. I wouldn’t be surprised if AF HQ doesn’t put these two dudes up on a pedestal and put a good spin on the whole situation by saying they “did the right thing by coming forward”. IMO, with this interview, a bunch of tap dancing Generals at the Pentagon just made fixing the F-22’s OBOGS issue their number one priority in the AF.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Agree. You toss whistleblower status on someone, and it doesn't matter...if there's even the hint that someone is going to shitcan these dudes after they become media darlings for doing this, that person, his boss, and his boss's boss heads will roll.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot

Like it's been said, it doesn't matter what the military thinks, but what the public thinks that really matters. Leadership won't stand up to the public. Even when they are right.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Could be, but I doubt it. I think you guys give to much credence to the mythical whistleblower status.

It's not hard to slip somebody the velvet knife and end their career. It's hard to really prove that's what happened, though.

These guys will be (somewhat) media darlings for the rest of the week and then be quietly forgotten by everybody outside the air force.

The dudes inside the air force will remember this quite well when fitrep and assignment time comes around. Good thing they're in the guard. Hope they have the hours for the airlines.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
LT Jack Daly tried blowing the whistle about a cover-up.

He stated before Congress: "I have been accused of having fabricated the entire event and labeled a liar, a lunatic and a traitor. My loyalty to the United States Navy has been questioned and I have been passed over for promotion. I have even been accused of withholding intelligence from the U.S. on this issue."

I don't know if they'll go that big on these two, but there will be career reprecussions.

Pags

N/A
pilot
You have to wonder if things are so bad inside the AF's lifelines that these guys felt their only recourse was to discuss company business on 60 Minutes. Or did these guys just not properly utilize their chain of command to ensure that this issue is fixed? I'm assuming that there's an AF version of a hazrep or a community top ten to let the program office know that this needs to be fixed now.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The dudes inside the air force will remember this quite well when fitrep and assignment time comes around. Good thing they're in the guard. Hope they have the hours for the airlines.

It's a given that this pair's climb toward USAF COS is over. I see them as "career suicide bombers", sacrificing themselves 'for the cause'.... that being: to get the Chair Force brass off their a** AND FIX THE PROBLEM! After all, it's not like the Raptors are critical to our mission in the 'ghan as of now.:rolleyes: I hope I'm right.
Bzb

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
As I recall from the interview last night both were already grounded for refusing to fly, they both had experienced hypoxia so I'd say they already had nothing to lose. The Major was med down the Captain flat out refused to fly, so both were grounded.