• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

usaf times f-22 obogs

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
If I am not mistaken, the -22 that crashed out in AK gave a fail/warning to the pilot. I get that they are saying the issue was pilot error and not the plane but still, seems like if they had made the survival systems better (little tiny pin to pull the emergency air that would be like a racoon trap) at least ergonomically in this case they guy would have survived. I'm sure if there was a fail safe on the bottle that auto started the on board system as well as a warning, there would be no qualms about flying it? Is that a good assumption? That being said, I believe that is actually the work around here. If there is emergency stash of air on board already, make it redundant with enough O2 to be able to get down from altitude and land safely (guess that defeats the purpose of long range work over enemy territory?) and go flying until a permanent fix comes up?

Maybe its because I am not a racoon trapper (wtf?) but I could not really follow your stream of consciousness post. Here's a couple of thoughts that might answer some of your questions:

1) In the Hornet at least, the green ring to release emergency oxygen is relatively easy to find, unless you fly both high and low lots, in which case it will either be on the inboard or outboard of your left thigh. I try to make a habit of touching (though not actuating) it once a flight, along with the emergency jettison button just for muscle memory. I am guessing its probably in a similar place for the F-22.

2) You could have the emergency O2 automatically actuate with an OBOGS degrade but there are two issues with that. First, that would mean you would have a lot of false positives when someone took their mask off to drink some water or eat a snack and forgot to turn off their flow. Second, it still wouldn't prevent hypoxia events that aren't preceeded by an OBOGS caution, which I think are the most insidious.

3) You can still get hypoxia even with LOX, though its less likely.

4) Ultimately, everything the pilot breathes (LOX, compromised OBOGS, emergency oxygen) shares a common set of plumbing to the mask. So care needs to be taken either through engineering or propper emergency procedures to secure the source of bad air, lest you breathe the good with the bad and still pass out.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Maybe its because I am not a racoon trapper (wtf?) but I could not really follow your stream of consciousness post. Here's a couple of thoughts that might answer some of your questions:
quote]

My apologies, my response was directed, sort of towards usmarinemike's part about having ejection seats and survival training. Didn't mean for it to come off that lame.

The racoon trap bit is based off of pg 27 of this report http://usaf.aib.law.af.mil/ExecSum2011/F-22A_AK_16 Nov 10.pdf
meaning you shove your hand inside of something, try to grab it and then can't get your damn hand out. I got a feeling you gathered that from telling me where the ring was in your hornet.

I don't belong in the weeds on this stuff as I'm ignorant of it all being a non aviator, thanks for the responses and thoughts.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
While the F-22 is a lower density / higher profile asset, it can be argued that OBOGS equipped Hornets and all Supers have been suffering from systemic problems for longer. I get a VFA mask-on hypoxia HAZREP about once a week via the friendly spammers at WESS. OBOGS related hypoxia concerns have been in the VFA communities top three (of ten) for the past several years.

I have some cynical suspicions as to why the problem isn't yet fixed (and I've spent time on the phone with the Navy's "OBOGS guy" at NAVAIR) - but suffice it to say that the capability exists to fix the Hornet/Super Hornet problems so I hope this knowledge has been applied to JSF....

As usual Recovering LSO hits the nail on the head. I won't claim to know if the F-22 issues are the same or similar to the issues in the VFA community, but there have been known issues for quite some time since it was introduced on the Hornet. To boil it down on the VFA issue there is a molecular sieve that is supposed to let oxygen through and keep out pretty much everything else to yield something like 98% pure O2. That sieve has issues ... sometimes. Again, this is an oversimplification. But the Raptor is very high profile so it gets high profile attention.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Silly helo pilot question here. Other than the time to actually fill the bottles and install in the jet, is there is benefit to OBOGS as compared to LOX?

Maybe it's me, but if the LOX system worked well and the OBOGS has issues, it would seem logical to go with the more reliable system in new airframes....

The main reason is because LOX is dangerous. LOX leaks can freeze flesh instantly for aircrew in the jet or maintainers handling the equipment. A green apple is essentially a bomb as it is liquified explosives. But as magnet said it also allows for sustained flight or multiple missions without servicing.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Another important issue to remember is that guys are getting hypoxic with their masks ON... That's very insidious and frightening. The reason has to do with sieves (filters) like NVGPen mentioned. If you're flying around with your mask on, and you start to feel funny, you're first instinct might not be to take your mask OFF - though with the amount of visibility and awareness within the A-D/EFG community these days it's probably more likely.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Ughh, I can't stand reading the comments on that 60 minutes clip.

I'm going to have to vote for Creepy Pedophile if those are the only 3 choices. He's a good dude. I just curious how all of this will go down now.

On a side note, it's time for me to start growing a sweet mustache again. Are those really the only 3 choices I have? I do it mostly because it pisses the misses off.

MasterBates

I say bring back beards.

This is the "I work on an oil rig, and don't care to shave" look.

578264_10150760092869284_679034283_9345808_421149988_n.jpg

MasterBates

That is the "I've been on a fucking oilfield boat for a month, and am now on the first of 3 10+ hour layovers to get home" look.