• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF cuts powerlines with an A-10

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The token USAF pilot in my Prowler squadron who left right before I got there was FRIBAT, as in Flew Right Into Big-Ass Tower. He was Dash-4 of a flight of four and hit a guide-wire of a big tower, pulled the handle as his bird spun out of control at less than 200 feet and walked away with hardly a scratch. So the whole A-10s hitting things at low level has a long history, expected given their job.

Oh, and if an A-10 gets a kill against a 'fighter' the fighter did something wrong just like a fighter that takes more than one turn to kill a Prowler.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
This discussion is ridiculous. The A-10 is badass at what it was designed to do - kill things on the ground in a permissive environment. It is not a remotely capable asset for any traditional air-to-air mission.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
This conversation reminds me of the old SNL Super Fans

Who would win in a fight, Ditka, or the..... :)

2sBrownBear

None
No self respecting Hawg driver would call himself a Fighter Pilot. We are just slow, fat, alcoholic Attack Pilots, and refer to ourselves as such.

I've seen some pretty experienced guys pull off great BFM and ACM against afterburning aircraft, we have some great HUD tape at the squadron, but no, we're not air to air fighter aircraft by any stretch of the imagination. If the traditional definition of a fighter is A/A, then we don't qualify, so don't ask me why the AF chose to designate Hawg squadrons as Fighter instead of Attack.

I for one would be worried if we consistently beat up on the pointy nose guys in A/A...it's their job to dispatch us like sitting ducks. My squadron has flown red air for a large multi national LFE, and during the mission commanders brief we spent most of the time scratching our nuggets exchanging quiet "WTFs does that mean?"

As for the power line collision, glad everyone is ok, and hopefully everyone walks away with their wings.

Renegade One

None
No self respecting Hawg driver would call himself a Fighter Pilot. We are just slow, fat, alcoholic Attack Pilots, and refer to ourselves as such.

I've seen some pretty experienced guys pull off great BFM and ACM against afterburning aircraft, we have some great HUD tape at the squadron, but no, we're not air to air fighter aircraft by any stretch of the imagination. If the traditional definition of a fighter is A/A, then we don't qualify, so don't ask me why the AF chose to designate Hawg squadrons as Fighter instead of Attack.

I for one would be worried if we consistently beat up on the pointy nose guys in A/A...it's their job to dispatch us like sitting ducks. My squadron has flown red air for a large multi national LFE, and during the mission commanders brief we spent most of the time scratching our nuggets exchanging quiet "WTFs does that mean?"

As for the power line collision, glad everyone is ok, and hopefully everyone walks away with their wings.
Hi… I'm curious as to your use of the plural/inclusive pronouns "I…WE…OURSELVES…US…MY...and OUR" until there is enough information on your profile page to remove my doubt.

Hey…I think I get it…you're a 'Hog [Hawg?] Driver. You just need to convince me. Gimme a base and a squadron, if nothing else.

Also, you DO merit "wings" under your user name…if you DO merit them, of course.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hi… I'm curious as to your use of the plural/inclusive pronouns "I…WE…OURSELVES…US…MY...and OUR" until there is enough information on your profile page to remove my doubt.
Yeah, help us to greet you properly by taking a bit of time to polish up your member profile.;)
Here is the "baddest ass" A-10 Warthog of all time!:eek:
WartHog Van.jpg
BzB, fast, skinny, alcoholic Attack Pilot:cool:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
we spent most of the time scratching our nuggets exchanging quiet "WTFs does that mean?"

He just demonstrated an extreme inability to use the term "head" in normal conversation. I'd say he is legit :)

No need to put him in the penalty "box", from his "cockpit" he is a master of putting "warheads on foreheads"

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
No complaints, it is just entertaining. The funniest thing is sitting through an LFE debrief at Nellis, with the fighter lead dropping just about every curse word known to mankind and then some, and with 2 ltCols heatedly calling each other names over the validity of some kill, yet the strikers still got their "war cranials" on target on time :)