• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF cuts powerlines with an A-10

Jon Jones

Just saw this in the local paper: http://articles.ky3.com/2013-05-23/power-lines_39483002

Thought it was kind of funny. No one was hurt. Two A-10s doing maneuvers over the lake. One runs into the powerlines, shocking onlookers. The other pilot does the sensible thing and flies under the powerlines.

If I ever make it to flight school, I'm going to make sure to implement the second pilot's system of dealing with obstacles (i.e. not fly straight into them). Dodge, dip, duck, dive, dodge.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I stopped reading after the first sentence due to loss of credibility. The A-10 never has been nor will it ever be a "fighter jet". Stupid reporters.

HuggyU2

None
The A-10 never has been nor will it ever be a "fighter jet". Stupid reporters.
Well... maybe.
But keep in mind that during the first Gulf War, an A-10 pilot from my base got an air-to-air kill, as did another A-10 from the NOLA Guard unit.
Don't know if those 2 kills make it a "fighter",...
...but keep in mind that the F-16's didn't a single kill. Is the F-16 a "fighter"?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'd bet they'd prefer that to using the word "into" for describing a pilot's flight path haha

If you are that low in flight school, you are probably wrong or on short final. I'm sure the first pilot is 10x the aviator that any dude in the history of flight school has ever been, regardless of his esoteric low altitude power line avoidance game plan.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I ever make it to flight school, I'm going to make sure to implement the second pilot's system of dealing with obstacles (i.e. not fly straight into them). Dodge, dip, duck, dive, dodge.
Easy to say, but those suckers are hard to see (especially when you're 350+ kts, and they don't have the orange warning balls). Never tangled with them... but as a VA "Sandblower Centurion", have had a few close shaves!:eek:
BzB

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On more than one occasion when stopping at a USAF base for gas in a S-3 I was asked, "fighter, tanker, transport?" "Well, uh, none." "Fighter, Tanker, transport, sir?" Putting my pride aside just to get past the guy for a burger I would ultimately respond..."fighter", and shuffle away justifying my embarrassing answer by reminding myself we did deployed weapons while the tankers and transports didn't.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Well... maybe.
But keep in mind that during the first Gulf War, an A-10 pilot from my base got an air-to-air kill, as did another A-10 from the NOLA Guard unit.
Don't know if those 2 kills make it a "fighter",...
...but keep in mind that the F-16's didn't a single kill. Is the F-16 a "fighter"?

Helicopters don't count.

And American F-16s may not have had any kills in Desert Storm, but they did get 2 about a year later enforcing the No Fly Zone. Though, to be fair, if having an A/A kill is what makes you a fighter, Super Hornets and Strike Eagles are both out of the club.

jmcquate

Contributor
Helicopters don't count.

And American F-16s may not have had any kills in Desert Storm, but they did get 2 about a year later enforcing the No Fly Zone. Though, to be fair, if having an A/A kill is what makes you a fighter, Super Hornets and Strike Eagles are both out of the club.
I remember a F-15E killing a Hip using an LGB during Desert Storm.

Renegade One

None
Live with it…the Air Force has long called many aircraft "fighters" that the Navy and Marine Corps didn't/don't/wouldn't (Corsair IIs, Skyraiders, Thunderbolt IIs…you get the idea). If that's what "floats their boat" (weirdly inappropriate, I know…) what the heck.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Helicopters don't count.

At least the P-3 managed to bag a Chinese F-8...
Pickle
Fighter/Reconnaissance pilot

jmcquate

Contributor
USAF hates the letter A..........F-111 and F-117......really. At least the Vark could carry Winders.