• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF cuts powerlines with an A-10

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah we're having the same issues in P-8 land, can't turn on our interrogator, but at least now we have TCAS and L16 which are definitely good for the SA.

L16 is only good if everyone is using it. It may be easier around Jax, but there aren't anywhere near enough MDLs to go around on a flight schedule around SOCAL, at least for the helo dudes. I'm kind of wondering if the P-8 and -60R share some radar characteristics that maybe the Super doesn't have, but I'd kind of doubt it. Or maybe the jet guys have just told ATC to pack sand while the HSM/VP guys are busy apologizing while pushing their glasses up their nose.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Polling transponders can't be harmful. TCAS systems work by polling nearby aircraft's transponders.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
L16 is only good if everyone is using it. It may be easier around Jax, but there aren't anywhere near enough MDLs to go around on a flight schedule around SOCAL, at least for the helo dudes. I'm kind of wondering if the P-8 and -60R share some radar characteristics that maybe the Super doesn't have, but I'd kind of doubt it. Or maybe the jet guys have just told ATC to pack sand while the HSM/VP guys are busy apologizing while pushing their glasses up their nose.

Seriously?

We've got support for everyone to have 2 JUs per squadron out on the east coast.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Polling transponders can't be harmful. TCAS systems work by polling nearby aircraft's transponders.

Eh, I didn't make the rule, just repeating it. Like I hinted at, pretty much everyone "solves" the problem. That said, I'm guessing the interrogator operates differently than TCAS. It might be written in a book somewhere, but I'm just not motivated enough to go to the secret squirrel building and log in to look it up.

Seriously?

We've got support for everyone to have 2 JUs per squadron out on the east coast.

I believe it's the same, at least on the HSM side, but that doesn't solve the problem if there's more than 2 aircraft airborne at the same time.

Renegade One

None
All the new "stuff" is obviously worth it's weight in gold. Think night, lights-out VIDs when the zombies come. Practice for it. Better to "know it" and not need it, than to need it, and not "know it".

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All the new "stuff" is obviously worth it's weight in gold. Think night, lights-out VIDs when the zombies come. Practice for it. Better to "know it" and not need it, than to need it, and not "know it".

Sorry, but not knowing why ATC has an issue about it has nothing to do with being able to use it. And if you read between the lines in my post(s), you'll see how it's not actually that big a deal for ATC.