• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF cuts powerlines with an A-10

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We used to shoot rockets about once a year in the early 90s and they're pretty cool to watch from the flight station. There's a community picture of a formation rocket shoot (2x shooters and a photo bird) that I loaded then flew. I also remember the annual 18x MK-82 drops or 4X Rockeye fun. I think that was the only time I ever saw STA 9/18 with racks on them. Those were good times.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shoot, John ...Zuni worked well for my friend and former neighbor (at Lemoore) T. R. Swartz! Remember, he took a MIG-17 down with a Zuni rocket fired from his A4 Skyhawk.

BTW ...re your Commissary comment ...I actually and literally did run into T R at the Commissary one day ...then followed a long discussion re my USN resignation, and acceptance with UAL. Both he and Ripper Waples, at one time, considered giving it up with USN. As we know, neither did so.
Yo Ron, saw "T. R." yesterday at the "Meet The MIDWAY Aviators" Memorial Day extravaganza onboard our beautiful Museum ship. Got only a quick hello with him, as he was up on the A-4E boarding ladder, regaling some young pre-teens with exciting tales from days long ago. I was relegated to showing the ships C-1A...it was the only bird I flew on MIDWAY for 2 deployments.;)

Also bumped into R1 who had the Tomcat display. All in all, it was a great day with an appreciative, friendly crowd (5,000+ and counting when I left), and soooo much better than the 'hordes' of unpleasant fellow citizens who greeted us upon our return 40+ years ago!:eek:
C Doc, Hugh & Crewman Bob.jpgColleen,Dad & Mike 27MAY '13.JPG'MEET THE AVIATORS' CVA-41 008.JPG
A4E-1.JPG
BzB

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We don't even do formation flying now, though that will eventually change with the in flight refueling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Yup, just as effective as the zuni rocket pods we carried around also. :rolleyes:

You can hang a sidewinder on the M-299 rail which the H-60 uses for Hellfire. When we first heard about it in the mid-90's senior leadership told JOPA to never thing about it.

Imagine the PG helo being loaded out for Air to Subsurface (torp), Air to Surface (hellfire) and Air to Air all at the same time??? I don't think the ORM matrix can go to that level of lunacy!!!

jmcquate

Contributor
Hell, I bet you could hang a winder on a 172 with a little re-wiring.........I bet some 3rd world shitholes have tried. That's the beauty of a heat seeker and why a retard with a MANPAD is scary.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You can hang a sidewinder on the M-299 rail which the H-60 uses for Hellfire. When we first heard about it in the mid-90's senior leadership told JOPA to never thing about it.

Imagine the PG helo being loaded out for Air to Subsurface (torp), Air to Surface (hellfire) and Air to Air all at the same time??? I don't think the ORM matrix can go to that level of lunacy!!!

Thank you. I now have a purpose in life again.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

Its not nearly as cool as you would think it is, it's just one more thing for some dorks to nerd out on. Aim-9 knowledge in the Cobra community consists of taking a test and the dude with the highest score gets to go shoot it at a flare, dude with the lowest score gets to be the unlucky asshole to launch the flare. That happens every once in awhile.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its not nearly as cool as you would think it is, it's just one more thing for some dorks to nerd out on. Aim-9 knowledge in the Cobra community consists of taking a test and the dude with the highest score gets to go shoot it at a flare, dude with the lowest score gets to be the unlucky asshole to launch the flare. That happens every 2 or 3 years.
Seems fair to me. Who's the airborne spare?

jmcquate

Contributor
Its not nearly as cool as you would think it is, it's just one more thing for some dorks to nerd out on. Aim-9 knowledge in the Cobra community consists of taking a test and the dude with the highest score gets to go shoot it at a flare, dude with the lowest score gets to be the unlucky asshole to launch the flare. That happens every 2 or 3 years.
Do you guys get an IR growl, or is it a WAG?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Is that changing now that the -Z has two regular hard points for AIM-9s?

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Is that changing now that the -Z has two regular hard points for AIM-9s?

I'm actually not sure to be honest, its not really a thing that gets thrown around alot. I'll have to talk to my Z buddies, we only have a 1-1.5? operational Z squadrons right now and it's going to come aboard a lot slower than the Yankee did. It's still DACM for us though, I don't see anyone launching a section of skids to go take out some aircraft, but I guess it is still a semi-viable option for ARG commanders to use aboard for defense of the ATF when we're embarked while transiting the straits. You always hear stories about the Israelis downing an aircraft with hellfire and the air to air kills between Cobras and Hinds in the Iran-Iraq war, but all in all, I don't see it becoming much more bigger for us. If not, it's just going to stay the same. I'd personally rather carry more rockets, hellfire, or 20mm and let the jet guys go do their thing. I'm pretty sure Harriers can carry AMRAAM nowadays too.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I'd personally rather carry more rockets, hellfire, or 20mm and let the jet guys go do their thing. I'm pretty sure Harriers can carry AMRAAM nowadays too.

I've heard some pretty cool stories about the uniquely difficult art of hunting attack helicopters from a jet. Supposedly it's not as cut and dried as jet guys might like to think.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I know it's part of VP lore, but just because some 50 pound heads at VX-1 strapped an AIM-9 to a P-3 once doesn't equal P-3s can carry AIM-9s. Just sayin'.

Shut your pie hole, nay sayer! :mad:

Legend has it a CIA P-3 shot down a PRC Mig with said sidewinder.

Please don't sink my dreams...:(