• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Touchdown(full) Autorotations

SuperStallionIP

Large Steel
pilot
We flare fine, but if we get too slow (a/s in the flare) on practice autos, we may not have enough power to arrest the rate of descent. Lots of weight and inertia falling out of the sky. Depends on the weight. Best weight to start practice autos is about 49-50k. Nr tends to build rapidly in the descent and flare, so lighter is better.

I prefer to be even lighter than that....say about 45k or less, and with a nice 10-15 kt headwind. You generally tend to float in the flare and it makes them much more comfortable.

hscs

pilot
You can overspeed in the summer in the desert in an h-60 if you don't manage your weight. Auto will have to be the last thing, and many times you have to dump quite a bit of fuel to reach even a 116% target.

Had a student overspeed a -60S on me during a poor 90 deg auto. Only hit 121 -- maintenance won't do anything until you get one of the overspeed lights to come on.

plc67

pilot
In reference to CH-47autos I flew the hook A model in the Guard and we did autos to touchdown but didn't bring the condition levers back. You had the engines almost on line when you started pulling the thrust lever(collective) in the flare and terminated pretty nose high and on the aft wheels. We, of course, were pretty light when we did these.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There's a reason why the Bell 206 series (TH-57, TH-67, OH-58 A/C)is the safest single engine aircraft in the world - and it the ability to safely auto in a widest envelope of altitude/height and airspeed combinations.

I always got a kick out of the differeing Army and Navy philosophies on doing training autos to touchdown. The Army says do it to concrete, The Navy says it's ok with grass/sod. When the Army adopted the TH-67 they couldn't figure out why they kept cracking skid tubes - we clued them in on the fact that if they weren't letting their students bang them on concrete every day at MGW maybe they would be ok. Oh and not doing autos at 3200# with a pax in the back seat and 90 gallons of fuel.

If I remember the HT's limits on full autos it's less than 3000' DA and 60 less than 60 gal of fuel.

th67.jpg

OR
IMG_7961.jpg

For maintenence autos the most bizarre thing I had to do was fly a BK-117 up to altitude to do PMCF auto. Single pilot mind you, solo, power levers mounted above your head - the maneuver required you to pull both to idle (one at a time) and initiate the descent. *******s and elbows in the cockpit - let me tell you.

BK_117_02.JPG

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
Ooohhhh yeah the TH-67 days...I am surprised those things dont fall apart more often to be honest. I have done at least a dozen 6-point landings in those, nose 20 degrees off runway heading, while cushioning too late then lowering collective too fast...and we'd just pick up and do it again!

As for Nr - not sure what rotor systems everyone else has so this may not apply. But, when we came from Hawaii (hot) to Iraq (much hotter), we had to do Nr autorotational RPM checks to ensure they were within limits - most oversped which was fixed by a pitch change link adjustment. In a nutshell, we expect autorotational RPM in the 58D should be 100% +/-2, plus 1% for every 1000' over 3000' DA, and 1% for every 500lbs over 4000lbs. Over the summer it was just too hot to maintain RPM within limitations so we had to adjust. Now, as it starts to cool down, we have to adjust back so there is enough RPM to maintain the auto -

bobbybrock

None
That is why the Army should have kept the Huey.That thing was a truck. I remember slamming that thing hard. I'm actually going to get the chance to fly her a little more. The guard facility I'll be flying at has a few left and I get to go to the IP course. Should be fun. I think they will be switching to the UH-72 in 08 or 09. I wonder if that syllabus will call for autos to the deck.
Sounds like good times Chuck flying single pilot atuos with PCL's rather than a throttle.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As for Nr - not sure what rotor systems everyone else has so this may not apply.

Same, same for the -60. Obviously a different system, but the physics still applies.

@Bobby:

Is the UH-72 the new LUH the Army just bought? The EC-145, if I'm not mistaken?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the UH-72 the new LUH the Army just bought? The EC-145, if I'm not mistaken?

I find it really interesting that the Army has realized that the 60 is not in fact a Light Utility Helo and thre is a real need for such a bird. There are lots of very loud voices that say the 60 should replace the Huey for the USMC, I think the LUH should help muffle that argument. The Huey needs to be replaced sooner rather than later and if the Yankee works great but if not we might be smart to look at the LUH.
I realize this is quite a tangent but that is the AW way.