• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Topgun

Well?

• Good Omen

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Bad Omen

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • This thread is gay

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • You are gay

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Everyone is gay

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Englishmen are gay

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Thunderkiss should change his name to ThunderPuss

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
Ok heres a question, This was going around my last ship. Is it true in order to be an Air Boss of a carrier you have to be a Topgun graduate?
and does anybody remember the real name of the bar we dubbed Pigs in Space?

Now lets do the Fallon Shuffle.....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Super18Ordie said:
Ok heres a question, This was going around my last ship. Is it true in order to be an Air Boss of a carrier you have to be a Topgun graduate?
and does anybody remember the real of the bar we dubbed Pigs in Space?

Now lets do the Fallon Shuffle.....
Nope, just a rumor, plus you don't have to be a pointy nose type to be Airboss.

Brett

B

Blutonski816

Patmack18 said:
Hey A4's or Schnug...

Ever seen that Top Gun patch, but the pipper is off to the left of the target, and across the top of the patch is added on "Never been to" Basically aluding to the fact of never being at Top Gun, not being able to shoot anything, but from a distance it looks like a Top Gun patch? I saw it on an O-4 here... he said it took him 3 years of hunting...

This one??

Attachments

• 91-00-6356-105-2.jpg
    91-00-6356-105-2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 108

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A-4%20skyhawk%20100%20over%20TX.jpg
Looks like Blutonski816 came through ... I had seen that one -- couldn't remember where. As an aside, this one used to be immensely popular with Studs and PlowBack Instructors in advanced training down in Kingsville and Beeville.

You guys who are whining about "pools" --- we had 'em also, even during Vietnam training surges -- something about trying to train 800 Studs with 150 aircraft. While in Pensacola and waiting to start VT-1, some of us came up with a "VT-0" patch -- had a couple hundred made for the POOL inhabitants -- I still have one on my flight jacket -- never see it advertised anywhere for sale today. It appeared somewhat conventional until you realized that a large SCREW was going from top to bottom through the Wings where the shield/crest would be ... "VT-0 ... POOL '69" ... I may take a pix of it and attach it if I cannot find it online ... or not.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't think anyone addressed the gent's original question. My two bits is selection is at squadron level however CO wants to run it. We convened an O-4 session during translant to look at all aircrew with one cruise under their belts who would be able to make workups and next cruise. We looked at airmanship, but also who would be accepted as a leader/instructor (ie if best stick was too arrogant and going to Topgun would make him even more so, the squadron wouldn't get right return on investment). hate to quote the Blue Angels special running on Military Channel, but there is an analogy to their assertion in their selection process that they can take a pilot and improve on flying skills, but personality is pretty set so they really home in on that aspect of candidates.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Boom's was great. Fridays at MCRD and I believe it was Tursdays at North Island. Mondays and Tuesdays were for recovery. BTW, you didn't need to be from Top Gun to do well at Miramar on a Wednesday night!!

You no only don't have to be a pointy nosed Top Gun guy to be the Air Boss, you don't have to be a pilot. Like everyother job in the Navy (except LSO), NFOs are eligible to fill the billet.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Air Boss is a post Command O-5 slot. Typically given to a carrier based aircraft pilot/NFO.[/font]

Wed at NKX, Thurs at Adm Kidd, Fri at NZY/El Toro....oowww my head....

Only so many lumpia you can eat in one week....

Saw this on line...I swear it's all true....
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A 747 captain (A4sForever) tries to make light banter with Sydney, Australia, Approach Control ... [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Captain: "Good morning, Sydney, this is HAL XXX, we're 50 miles out and have your island in sight ..." [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Approach: "Roger, HAL XXX... you're cleared to circle the island twice, then it's okay to land."
[/font]

GeoffStahl

Former E-2/FA-18 NFO
Simple answer really is....

timing

as always better to be lucky and in the right place at the right time than good.

I was in class 92-02 (back at Miramar), funny thing, I remember studying in the evenings rather than the O-club while I was at NFWS. Later when I was the Strike Fighter Weapons School in Lemoore, instructors there did have to be TOPGUN graduates, I don't know if it still is the case though.

In the end it ends up being a decent aviator in a squadron that is around for the class with an opening with the right hours and cruise experience, etc. Timing.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No Change of Command party is complete without...Lumpia!!!!!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Schnuggapup said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Air Boss is a post Command O-5 slot. Typically given to a carrier based aircraft pilot/NFO.[/font][/size][/font]

Yep, my skipper just got the job on the Lincoln. I just learned that the mini-boss job is now for non-screened O-5's.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wasn't the mini job always for non screened O-5s? I had two squadron department head O-5s go to the air dept. in the mid to late '80s. The Boss had been a squadron skipper and as I recall the guy who got the Mini job was a non-screen guy. By the way, the guy that got the Mini job was rather short of stature and refused every one of the white flight deck jersys the ship had prepared that said "Mini Boss". He insisted on being refered to only as the "Assistant Air Boss" . Trashed the tradition because of his own lack of self respect and pettiness. Maybe that is why he didn't command?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Again, I apologize for my complete lack of knowledeg, but what is the Mini Boss? Just a guy who helps the Air Boss?

Status
Not open for further replies.