• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Topgun

Well?

• Good Omen

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Bad Omen

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • This thread is gay

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • You are gay

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Everyone is gay

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Englishmen are gay

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Thunderkiss should change his name to ThunderPuss

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Question about TOPGUN (not the movie)

I just saw a show on the Tomcat and the were talking about TOPGUN at the end and it mentioned how you have to have at least 3 years flying either Hornets or Falcons... is it now a joint thing for the Air Force and Navy? I thought it had been just Navy, then the Air Force had their red flag things. And also thought along with the Red Flag training would also have Navy/Air Force training.
Thanks for any responses... this site rocks!

FLY NAVY!

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Thanks for clearing that up for me! I knew they flew the F-16's as aggressors and stuff... but when they mentioned requiring time in the F-16 to get in, it just didn't sound right... since the 16 is an Air Force jet! lol

And that's another thing this show said, to fly Tomcats you needed to graduate from TOPGUN... ugh, what can you do. lol
Thanks again and God bless!

bighuggies

Saw TopGun for 1st time

since 3 weeks ago. I was wondering how pilots get their callsigns, i.e. Maverick, Iceman, etc.

If I'm correct, weren't Goose and Iceman's buddy (Slider/Kazanski?) NFO's? It would have been cool if they showed Goose manning the anti-radar equipment, weapons systems, etc. instead of saying, "Whoa Maverick, he flew by. I lost him. Oh wait, there he is!" all the while he's placing his greasy hands all over the canopy.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Real Naval Aviators don't get callsigns like Maverick and Iceman. If you do, then something is wrong.

bighuggies

So that part is Hollywood? Naval aviators don't get nicknames/callsigns, and they don't write "Maverick" or "Iceman" on the front part of their helmets?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh there is callsigns. But you normally get it for doing something stupid or embarassing, or whatnot. Most of Top Gun is hollywood.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
DO NOT FOR ONE SECOND think anything you saw in that movie was an accurate protrayal of Naval Aviation.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
If you get a callsign, its usually cause you did something dumb. Typically your callsign is something that you hate. If you end up liking it too much, you'll get a new one. And no you dont get to choose your own.

Integer1

Banned
I think that Hot Shots! is more realistic.

Topper Harley: I've fallen for you like a blind roofer.
-----
Topper Harley: Those are some long legs.
Ramada Thompson: I just had them lengthened. Now they go all the way up.
-----
Admr. Benson: I've personally flown over a hundred-ninety-four missions and I was shot down every one. Come to think of it, I've never landed a plane in my life.
-----
Topper Harley: That is the whitest white part of the eye I've ever seen. Do you floss?
-----
Admr. Benson: look out there at all you wonderful guys and I say to myself, "what I wouldn't give to be twenty years younger . . . and a woman."
-----
Ramada Thompson: I'm a virgin. I'm just not very good at it .

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
lowflier03 said:
If you get a callsign, its usually cause you did something dumb. Typically your callsign is something that you hate. If you end up liking it too much, you'll get a new one. And no you dont get to choose your own.

Not really man, most guys get them right away when they go to advanced (jets), have to ask a jet jock though as to the origins.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
All the pilots I met (Helo included), got theirs because of something they did. They told me the ones they started with got changed.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
You are allowed so many square inches of a colored design of your choice. Ive seen some pretty elaborate drawings. One SNA even had a huge spiderweb done on her helmet. Dunno the reason, I guess she just liked it.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
All that paint was done away with sometime in the early 90's I think. Now, like lowflier03 said, you can only have a certain amount of the helmet "non-white" and I think it has to be done in that RIDICULOUSLY expensive colored high-reflective tape. The aviators don't do the designs, the guys in the Paraloft, called PRs (for Parachute Rigger, although they're getting/maybe already have new names) do it. Quite an artform, when done properly.

As far as callsigns go, I've never heard of anybody in any community not getting "redesignated" once they show up in their fleet squadron. A cardinal sin would be to walk in a ready room on check-in day and say something retarded like "Hey guys, I'm so-and-so, but you can call me 'INSERT 'COOL' CALLSIGN". Do that and expect to be re-dubbed something nice like "sh!t-for-brains"...if you're that lucky. NewGuy usually sticks until you do something really dumb/gross/funny. Then they base it off that.

VAmookie

if you want to get some examples of callsigns, watch Top Gun. At the end of the movie in the credits, the list all the aviators who assisted in the making of the movie (consultants). If the have a call sign, its listed. One guy's name is something like LT. Caulk. So his callsign is Horse... play on words, horse cock

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been told of one female having "SUMAT" (Shut Up Men Are Talking). I've met another female who had "NoMO" (No Male Organs). Heard of a guy having "Scrotum".

Status
Not open for further replies.