• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thread with "Cow" in it for actual meat conversation

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Notwithstanding the possible elevated health risk, I have generally found the grind of chub :) packaged meat more paste like than a medium or course grind, which I prefer.

What's up with these new ground beef pearls. Don't recall what it is called. Like super course tiny balls of beef. Package promotes freezer to pan.
yeah, it was nasty stuff. We usually had to mix it with trimmings to change the consistency to something that had the structure and resemblance of ground beef. Ground turkey was the worst, it was literally meat paste.

I am guilty of plopping a vacuum packed steak right into the sous vide bath.
Maybe it's just a mental block, but I can't bring myself to purchase steaks or roasts like that. When were they prepared and how long have they been in transit or on a shelf? Usually, when preparing meat in-house it was 2-4 days on the shelf before it was marked down or tossed (or thrown in with the days grinds!)

It's one thing to have a primal piece of meat, that will be trimmed down, packaged and delivered in a bag, but the individual cuts. I just can't get myself to pull the trigger.

I have a friend that swears by the sous vide method, for me the only way to cook meat is on the egg. Long and slow or hot and fast, nothing beats that flavor.

taxi1

pilot
I have a friend that swears by the sous vide method, for me the only way to cook meat is on the egg
I don't swear by it, but the ability to plop a rock solid frozen steak or other meat into the bath and go do something of indeterminate length, then come back and just sear the beast in a pan or on a grill is low effort, and the power of pasteurization gives me a warm and fuzzy that I won't get food poisoning. Convenience.

With you 100% on the egg being better.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why the hell are the eggs so damned expensive!! It just doesn't seem to equate to the material and process that goes into them.

ABMD

Why the hell are the eggs so damned expensive!! It just doesn't seem to equate to the material and process that goes into them.
Transportation costs, rising cost of animal feed, inflation (which I heard was "0" recently)

On a recent trip to the grocery store I paid $3.99 for a dozen brown, non-organic eggs and $8.99 for a pound of bacon.:eek:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Notwithstanding the possible elevated health risk, I have generally found the grind of chub :) packaged meat more paste like than a medium or course grind, which I prefer.

What's up with these new ground beef pearls. Don't recall what it is called. Like super course tiny balls of beef. Package promotes freezer to pan.
Wait…now you guys are telling me this isn’t quality meats?

E2E24A19-D734-42E0-876D-0CA728608904.jpeg

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most people don’t want the hassle of building, populating, and maintaining their own chicken coop. And/or, may not be allowed to do so per municipal or HOA rules.
Ah...since I detect no sarcasm emoji, we were talking cooking meat. I was referring to the big green eggs and their copies.

ABMD

Ah...since I detect no sarcasm emoji, we were talking cooking meat. I was referring to the big green eggs and their copies.
Not sure what the market rate is for high quality ceramic, but there is clearly a difference between an old Weber charcoal grill and cooking on an egg. Propane isn’t even invited to that chat.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
This might be heresy to you high-dollar wood/charcoal folks, but I cook my meat on a Traeger. It’s just nice to have a way to automate temperature control. We get great results every time.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Oh come on you guys! Meat, heat, and eat….the rest is just “jets vs helicopters” stuff!