• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thread with "Cow" in it for actual meat conversation

Hair Warrior

Contributor
From his page of other posts. I was almost right.

View attachment 35902

I know that Bison were critical to the health of the plains, stirring up the soil, fertilizing it, creating micro-environments, etc., so no disagreement that cows can be a force for good. But my son works right outside of Greeley CO (you smell it before you see it) where the cows live in huge stockyards. Sharing diseases, getting massive doses of antibiotics, and very inefficiently converting calories from the earth into calories we eat.
You’re comparing CAFO feedlots to regenerative agriculture. They’re very different. I agree that CAFO feedlots don’t solve the grasslands restoration.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
As an OBTW, wife and I are heading across the country to Montana on an epic road trip this weekend. One of the sites I'm really looking forward to visiting is Grasslands National Park in Saskatchewan. Mountains are cool, but the plains have their own beauty.

View attachment 35904
Did you watch the Soil Carbon Cowboys video I posted earlier? Or the Alan Savory Ted Talk? Both are pretty fascinating if you like grasslands.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
As an OBTW, wife and I are heading across the country to Montana on an epic road trip this weekend. One of the sites I'm really looking forward to visiting is Grasslands National Park in Saskatchewan. Mountains are cool, but the plains have their own beauty.

View attachment 35904
I agree. There is nothing like the Pawnee Grasslands in Colorado in spring.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They will tell you it’s only happening in far-off places, but they are intent on making it pervasive and global, including North America. They are coming for your Constitutional right to raise a livestock animal on your own damn land, and for your right to buy a steak at a grocery store.

Today I learned that raising cattle was a constitutional right.

Also:

1659710931686.png

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I suspect I ate something like that on a stick in Olongapo many years ago.
My favorite guy in Olongapo would be turning his meat sticks and yelling out “Chicken, Beef, Meat!” Well…you just had to try “meat.”

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I was born and raised in Australia but think Eastern NC BBQ is the food of the gods. That being said, this NYT book review raises some difficult questions.
It’s actually an east-west divide rather than north-south. Columbia (South Carolina) and above is a horrible mustard based concoction. Along I-95 and eastwards in both of the Carolinas is the famed vinegar pepper sauce. The most famous pitmaster is Rodney Scott from Hemingway, here is a representative video.

number9

Contributor
It’s actually an east-west divide rather than north-south. Columbia (South Carolina) and above is a horrible mustard based concoction. Along I-95 and eastwards in both of the Carolinas is the famed vinegar pepper sauce. The most famous pitmaster is Rodney Scott from Hemingway, here is a representative video.

I always thought Western NC sauce was ketchup & vinegar, but Eastern NC was just vinegar. I spent a lot of time in the RTP area for work and used to love it there.

Funnily enough, there was a great South Carolina restaurant near me in the Boston suburbs but it shut down due to COVID. The mustard took some getting used to, but I didn't mind it at all.

taxi1

pilot

View attachment 35904
Just got back from the trip, and took almost that exact same picture. Beautiful, and maybe 30 people in the entire park.

We crossed into Saskatchewan from north east Montana in a part of the country where you don’t let your gas get below half a tank. Always thinking bingo profile.

Later, driving along two lane roads south of great falls Montana and Malmstrom AFB, I was amazed at the number of ICBM silos right off the road. You know they are there, but it is still odd to consider there is a megaton worth of explosives a hundred yards away, behind a fence and some motion detectors. Same with North Dakota and Wyoming near Cheyenne

.A895499A-7D9B-406A-AEB0-B61ACD468D09.jpeg

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Eastern NC was just vinegar.
Yes. New Bern thinks Barbecue is moderately slow cooked pork, chopped up, throw on a Food Lion hamburger bun, and doused in vinegar.

There is a shitty BBQ place in Havelock that calls themselves "Texas BBQ". Their brisket is nothing more than crockpot pot roast with ketchup, sugar, and some jalapeño.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Later, driving along two lane roads south of great falls Montana and Malmstrom AFB...

Just east of Great Falls is Highwood, MT and north of that is Fort Benton. Fort Benton is where my great (I think it's just one great) grand...aunt(?) settled a homestead. MT gave single women land to entice men to the area. Her kin still live in the Fort Benton area (and are kind of the grand poobahs of the area). The homestead is still there, but unfortunately the family waited too long to try and move it for preservation, so it's just slowly falling apart in one of the planter fields. I can't find a picture of it I took in 2013, unfortunately, but here's one of one of the relative's farm in Highwood.

52301293350_1c69eba66d_h.jpg

Genealogy isn't my strongest suit, so I think she would be one of my cousins with some removals thrown in there.

I also have the shot gun used to "keep the law" in Fort Benton back in the day (turn of the century or so, I believe). It hung up in the bar and was brought down when someone got too rowdy.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As an Ohio/Pennsylvania type, it amuses me to watch Southerners and BBQ snobs gatekeep BBQ. There’s nothing wrong with any variety of Carolina pulled pork. You can sauce or not sauce your ribs as you see fit. And knock yourself out with whatever brisket rub you want. Heck, maybe one day I’ll even go to Kentucky and have some mutton.

The only crime is cooking it shittily, or using a Crock Pot or Instant Pot.