• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thread with "Cow" in it for actual meat conversation

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because if you succeeded in tech or media, you must be an expert in other disciplines, such as farming.

It's science!

;)
In my experience, this is a fairly common problem with a certain subset of engineers and techies. “I know enough math for me to calculate the One Best Answer to this public policy problem.” And forgetting the whole human dimension of the problem.

And the more successful someone is in their own field of study, the more likely it is that they’ll think they’ve got the whole world wired and be able to figure out someone else’s.

engineer_syllogism.png

here_to_help_2x.png

Last edited:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
So back to the topic of meat...

Has anyone ever used mayonnaise as a binder or base for grilling? I grilled up some rockfish (Striped Bass for you non-East Coasters) and before seasoning I coated both side with the white stuff, then seasoned generously. To my surprise, after cooking I could not taste the mayo and the fillets didn't stick to the grill grate.

taxi1

pilot
Because if you succeeded in tech or media, you must be an expert in other disciplines, such as farming.

It's science!

;)
Well, the dude's a closer who delivers and by necessity is an empiricist, and he goes where the science takes him, which in this case is to having some cows.

Points for being in the arena.

taxi1

pilot

Has anyone ever used mayonnaise as a binder or base for grilling? I grilled up some rockfish (Striped Bass for you non-East Coasters) and before seasoning I coated both side with the white stuff, then seasoned generously. To my surprise, after cooking I could not taste the mayo and the fillets didn't stick to the grill grate.
Definitely going to try it

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It isn't magical enough to make fake meat taste any good!!

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
One of my old squadronmates suggested I try Kansas City Steaks https://www.kansascitysteaks.com/

Decided to give it a go. The package just arrived with a sampling of Filet Mignons, Kansas City Strips, Ribeyes and Steakburgers - with a few bonus Beef Wellingtons thrown in.

Starting with the burgers tonight - Anyone else try this company or Omaha Steaks?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

You just need a hotter grill :)

Seriously though, I've heard people do thus. I'll have to give it a try. Just had some grilled rockfish tonight actually

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let’s think about what mayo is. Nothing more than emulsified oil and eggs. That’s what you’re adding to the food, so it’s really no different than the egg wash you’d use before breading something.

It’s also clutch on steaks. Yes, steaks. Start with USDA Prime beef. Season ‘em, smoke ‘em until 10 degrees from whatever “done” is for you. Heat a cast iron skillet screeching hot with some butter. Give the steak a mayo brush on both sides, then sear it for a minute per side to get a nice crust and still not overcook it. You’re welcome.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
From “Southern Living” Magazine, the 50 top BBQ restaurants in the South for 2023. Pleased to see two of them were within a couple of dozen miles of where I grew up, #33 McCabe’s BBQ in the small town of Manning and #5 Scott’s BBQ in the 1 flashing caution light of Hemingway (population 459).

Plenty of places on here - enjoy!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Pierces Pitt BBQ off of I64 in Williamsburg va remains my all time favorite, and I’ve been to three of the places in that list.
Hell yeah…slip in a side trip to Jamestown Pie Company for dessert and I’m in!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'm headed down to Maxwell/Montgomery for a week of training next week. Other than Dreamland, any recommendations?

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
One of my old squadronmates suggested I try Kansas City Steaks https://www.kansascitysteaks.com/

Decided to give it a go. The package just arrived with a sampling of Filet Mignons, Kansas City Strips, Ribeyes and Steakburgers - with a few bonus Beef Wellingtons thrown in.

Starting with the burgers tonight - Anyone else try this company or Omaha Steaks?
No, but I’ve given them as gifts, the people enjoyed them.

I raise my own beef ?.?