• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

phrogpilot73

It's a damn shame the Marines haven't had an A/A kill since 'Nam (not counting the one F-15C exchange pilot during the Storm).
I don't think it's a damn shame. A Marine pilot's job, plain and simple is to support a LCpl on the ground, holding a rifle. An A/A kill may or may not support that Marine. A CAS/DAS strike will.

I'd also say that we haven't really faced any opponents since Vietnam that had a robust Air Force. Not a shitload of A/A kills in general...

Yankee Uniform Tango
A Marine pilot's job, plain and simple is to support a LCpl on the ground, holding a rifle.

JoeFoss2.jpg

Indeed. Supporting the men on the ground is the ultimate goal of all air forces, and the Corps in particular. All my comment really meant was, shit, the AF/Navy got theirs, why can't get the Marines get some? ;) :eek:

[/wannabeism]

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Concur except AMRAAM was not introduced to Southwest Asia until many moons after Desert Storm (Sept 1991) and, even then, it had some integration issues when mixed loads were carried. .

I thought the Eglin Eagles carried them during ODS as an OPEVAL?

RocktheBloc

Anybody here on the F-14's first deployment in 1974?

I was interested in knowing if anyone here was part of VF-1 or VF-2 when they set out on the first Tomcat deployment aboard the Enterprise. In fact, was anyone here an F-14 pilot or NFO in the 1970s?

If so, what was naval aviation (or the Navy) like back then? What was it like flying a new aircraft like the F-14?

It'd be cool to know if anyone here flew other naval aircraft during that time as well.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
While you wait for replies to your post, I suggest buying this book.

http://www.vulturesrow.com/anytimebaby/

HeyJoe, one of the AirWarrior moderators actually helped with the book and I am fortunate enough to own it. It is basically a bunch of stories from Tomcat drivers and RIO's (NFO) , who flew the Tomcat from it's birth to it's sundown.

Great read and a great book to add to your aviation library. Also, I believe the proceeds go to a worthy cause. HeyJoe can expand on that.

P.S. You don't have to purchase online..you can go to a Borders or Barnes & Noble to get it.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
You won't be disappointed. Stunning photography in it too. As an avid F-14 homer...there were many pics from private collections that I never got to see before.

brownshoe

Contributor
You won't be disappointed. Stunning photography in it too. As an avid F-14 homer...there were many pics from private collections that I never got to see before.

Yes, it's a great book wonderful photos, I read it last year. Also "Tomcat!" by, Admiral Gillcrist is a very good read.

Steve

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check PM.

Thx (Ousooner) for endorsement. You may have confused Erik's effort with the "other" book that I work on as well. That is "companion" book that covers entire history of the Tomcat and has many images from that deployment and recollections form aircrews as well as other key folks. I also supported Erik's effort* has his amazing images of his coverage of the last squadrons to operate the Tomcat.

*Am hosting Erik this week as we plan the next big Naval Aviation project. that will cover all the rides in service today. Look for us in a neighborhood near you (he's at VAW-123 today).

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
While you wait for replies to your post, I suggest buying this book.

http://www.vulturesrow.com/anytimebaby/

HeyJoe, one of the AirWarrior moderators actually helped with the book and I am fortunate enough to own it. It is basically a bunch of stories from Tomcat drivers and RIO's (NFO) , who flew the Tomcat from it's birth to it's sundown.

Great read and a great book to add to your aviation library. Also, I believe the proceeds go to a worthy cause. HeyJoe can expand on that.

P.S. You don't have to purchase online..you can go to a Borders or Barnes & Noble to get it.

And if you buy him lunch....HJ might even sign a copy for you!

yak52driver

Contributor
Check PM.

Thx (Ousooner) for endorsement. You may have confused Erik's effort with the "other" book that I work on as well. That is "companion" book that covers entire history of the Tomcat and has many images from that deployment and recollections form aircrews as well as other key folks. I also supported Erik's effort* has his amazing images of his coverage of the last squadrons to operate the Tomcat.

*Am hosting Erik this week as we plan the next big Naval Aviation project. that will cover all the rides in service today. Look for us in a neighborhood near you (he's at VAW-123 today).

I bought the 'companion book' "Bye Bye Baby". Awesome pictures and annecdotes from the Tomcat crews and maintainers. I can't say enough good about it. As a Tomcat wannabe, it was a glimpse into the crews and F-14 and I enjoyed it a great deal. Highly recommend!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was interested in knowing if anyone here was part of VF-1 or VF-2 when they set out on the first Tomcat deployment aboard the Enterprise. In fact, was anyone here an F-14 pilot or NFO in the 1970s?

If you don't mind my asking, what is it about those two squadrons on that particular first operational cruise that interests you?

(Of course I wasn't there. But I may know some who were there, and may be able to help you, given a serious interest).