• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

HuggyU2

None
Tonight, I met and had dinner with Vance Parker, Tomcat guy from '76, and former Blue Angel. Great stories, which included events from the Tomcat's early years.

RocktheBloc

If you don't mind my asking, what is it about those two squadrons on that particular first operational cruise that interests you?

(Of course I wasn't there. But I may know some who were there, and may be able to help you, given a serious interest).

Simple. They were the first two (non-reserve) Tomcat squadrons and that deployment was the first ever for the Tomcat!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Great clips......they comment a little bit about that last one @ Nellis in the "Tomcat" book. Cool to see the actual show in question!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I don't think that was Snort. Doesn't sound like his voice.

That looks like it is a Moffett Airshow.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was a LOW transition.

He almost tied the record.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Reading through "Tomcat", it was funny to see a couple guys in there who teach our sims here in Meridian. Awesome photos and sea stories BTW for anyone who hasn't read it!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HJ,
See if Erik remembers me from the Rug Flop I brought him to in Bahrain in 06. He was doing a PAO trip to the boat in the gulf for the last Tomcat deployment.
Cheers,
G

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HJ,
See if Erik remembers me from the Rug Flop I brought him to in Bahrain in 06. He was doing a PAO trip to the boat in the gulf for the last Tomcat deployment.
Cheers,
G

He sure does as you rescued him when he was a stranger in a strange land. He should have sent you a book. If not, I'll tell him he has an unpaid debt.

yak52driver

Contributor
Seeing the roll rate from the HUD view gave a real feeling for how quick the Tomcat rolled. Amazing how fast that big fighter got around!