• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Growler Gallery

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm going to start the Prowler FRS fairly soon. Whats the latest word up at Whidbey for current pilots or those going through the FRS relating to the transition to the EA-18G?

Last word I got was that the first transition squadron will begin the process sometime in late '08, but that's somewhat of a moving target at this point. From what I understand, if they follow the model the F-14 guys used to transition, the whole squadron will essentially det down to Lemoore for the initial phase of training, then move back to Whidbey for the tactics phase once everyone is NATOPS qual'd in the G. Exactly how they'll integrate incoming CAT Is into the process remains to be seen, but it seems likely that those first ones will be identified before they get to Whidbey vice after.

As a side note, I don't know if there are any VT-86 reps looking at this thread (or how the strike vs strike-fighter pipelines look like these days), but it seems like it would make sense to put the G bound NFOs through that strike-fighter phase. Any insights there?

Brett

phrogpilot73

OK, I know that I'm just a dumb, hockey-helmet wearing, short bus riding helo guy and that I'll probably get flamed... But is it just the pod that does all the whiz-bang stuff? If so, have they ever thought about hanging it off of other aircraft?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
18G...Whidbey...mmmmm...Here is keeping my fingers crossed.

But is it just the pod that does all the whiz-bang stuff? If so, have they ever thought about hanging it off of other aircraft?

+1...more specifically, other than fleet standardization, are there any traits the Prowler/Growler has that make it more suitable than say...?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
OK, I know that I'm just a dumb, hockey-helmet wearing, short bus riding helo guy and that I'll probably get flamed... But is it just the pod that does all the whiz-bang stuff? If so, have they ever thought about hanging it off of other aircraft?

The pods are actually four parts. Transmitters, RAT, Universal Exciter and the backbone and fiberglass canoe that covers the antennas. They work with the ALQ-99 system that fills the back seat of the prowler as well as a bunch of other parts spread throughout the jet. The other major system component is the receiver package (the football and lumps on the side of the vertical stab) tells you what's up in and lets you select targets. All in all it's a large integrated system that's not easily portable. That's also the ICAP II stuff and ICAP III is even more integrated.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

To put it simply, it's more than just the pods. They're just the component that directs and transmits the RF energy which the "system" needs to go after various targets. The big improvement in the new jet/ICAP III is the systems' ability to receive and locate RF emitters and direct energy on them in different ways.

Brett

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Sine it is the E/A-18, does that mean it will carry missiles, guns and bombs?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sine it is the E/A-18, does that mean it will carry missiles, guns and bombs?

HARM, AMRAAM, no gun (ever) or other weps at this point, although Boeing is trying to sell a follow-on J-Weps capability.

Brett

MSkinsATC

pilot
450whidbey_growler.jpg

Here is the official quote...even though we can come up with much better!!

Commander Al Bradford, at left, and Commander Darryl Lenhardt, flew a new EA-18G "Growler" to Naval Air Station Whidbey Island. Bradford is the pilot of the two-man aircraft and Lenhardt is the weapons systems operator. The EA-18G will replace the Vietnam era EA-6B Prowlers based at NAS Whidbey Island. (April 09, 2007)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Cool....saw it break midfield yesterday w/ a Prowler around noon. Looks like a Rhino :)

Anyone know/ care to ellaborate on what they were doing up there?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Any idea how they're doing the transition? Still 4 a/c per squadron? Transition full squadrons at a time... or spread evenly?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Last word I got was that the first transition squadron will begin the process sometime in late '08, but that's somewhat of a moving target at this point. From what I understand, if they follow the model the F-14 guys used to transition, the whole squadron will essentially det down to Lemoore for the initial phase of training, then move back to Whidbey for the tactics phase once everyone is NATOPS qual'd in the G. Exactly how they'll integrate incoming CAT Is into the process remains to be seen, but it seems likely that those first ones will be identified before they get to Whidbey vice after...
Brett

Later, Vettemuscle asked:
Any idea how they're doing the transition? Still 4 a/c per squadron? Transition full squadrons at a time... or spread evenly?

Amazing, the answer appeared before the question was asked!