• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Growler Gallery

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes he does...almost like sideshow bob...

He also bears a striking resemblance to Flash. :D

@Vettemuscle: Your questions have been addressed already in the other Prowler/G model threads. Check those out and post/PM me if you still have questions.

Brett

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
What is the airspeed restriction on the EW pod? It's a M1.8 plane according to the stats, even as a Growler, but I'm guessing it's a M0.88 plane if it's hanging the jammer pods. Any update?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is the airspeed restriction on the EW pod? It's a M1.8 plane according to the stats, even as a Growler, but I'm guessing it's a M0.88 plane if it's hanging the jammer pods. Any update?

I believe it is the same speed restriction for the pods........:eek:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have heard rumors up here that they are trying to get the pods certified for higher than .86M, but though I'm not an engineer I don't see a propeller of any kind going supersonic nicely. . .

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
1st Growler? - 1942

According to the base history, NAS Whidbey Island was commissioned on Spetember 21, 1942. I'm pretty sure the first growler "landed" somewhere on the base that day or the next.....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have heard rumors up here that they are trying to get the pods certified for higher than .86M, but though I'm not an engineer I don't see a propeller of any kind going supersonic nicely. . .

FWIW, my understanding is that the pods themselves have been tested > 1.0, but not on the kooky canted pylons on the SH airframe. Frankly, there's probably not much merit in testing above .86. The drag with all that stuff hanging off the wings is already going to present a monumental problem for going much faster then that without burning major amounts of gas. In the unlikely event that a G model has to bug high speed you can just overspeed the stores, as repairing any possible damage is cheaper than jettisoning several million dollars worth of pods - we often brief that in the Prowler. If it comes to a turning fight (even more unlikely), we can punch the stores and go that route, but without a gun or heaters, that's also a defensive, losing proposition.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was under the impression that propellors and rotors already do go supersonic.:confused:

Interesting. Here's some numbers for you science nerds to crunch:

Let's say you have a RAT blade that is roughly 7-8 inches long (radius of whole turbine) spinning at 400 RPM in a slipstream that is ~.86M. What is the effective relative airspeed experienced at the blade tip? Show your work. :D

Brett

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Interesting. Here's some numbers for you science nerds to crunch:

Let's say you have a RAT blade that is roughly 7-8 inches long (radius of whole turbine) spinning at 400 RPM in a slipstream that is ~.86M. What is the effective relative airspeed experienced at the blade tip? Show your work. :D

Brett

uhhhh.... 42?