• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Old NFO

None
Nice pics. What do you have hanging from the collar on the leather flight jacket?

It's a set of worry beads... Lots of Med flyers in the 70's-80's got them, that was how you knew someone had done a Med deployment.

XMID- I know your dad :)

Re the green flight jacket, I wore that going through VT-10, for some reason nobody ever said anything to me...:D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'M WITH YOU.
The only caveat is when some analretentive figures it ain't cool when its cold out!
Its a jacket!!
Got my first one in 1954 and wore it proudly in Korea at K-3

Jeesus .... how old are you anyway ... ??? You did a LOT of stuff in the Corps. How young/old were you in the USMC??

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
8wepjkt.gif

That is actually a Winter Flying (Suit) jacket that could be attached to matching pants and worn in conjuction with a "poppy suit". Many call it the "WEP" jacket, but that is an Urban Legend created by commerical manufacturers who seized upon its popularity and took "WEP" the label nomeclature. WEP actually means origin of the contract: BUWEP was Bureau of Weapons that existed in same timeframe as Bureau of Ordnance and Bureau of Aeronautics (later BUAER and BUWEP were merged into NAVAIR).

The tag looks like this:

BUWEP-U.S. Navy
JACKET, WINTER FLYING SUIT
SPEC. MIL-(L)-183428 (WEP)
Quite correct!

Here is my original issue tag, circa early '70's. - never saw the matching pants, and didn't want too. :D

Wore the Poopy-suit jacket to work, and saved the leather one for "church on Sundays." :D ;)

imgp0487aun6.jpg

fltjacketgk1.jpg

FlyinRock

When I finally got my hands on one after some skullduggery, I found it to be the warmest mid weight jacket I've ever owned. Even when soaked it kept me warm in sub freezing temps. I just flat wore it out and when time to finally and reluctantly trash it, gave it nearly the same reverance as one of our flags!
I wear one of the newer versions from time to time but I'm smarter now and don't get it soaked when its really cold out !! Hell I even wear silk long johns when it gets really cold and layer wool over them depending on the temps.
I'm a Montana boy and know cold weather.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4s
I'm in my 70's and I bet you are right on my tail!

I think you have a few years on him, but you're looking mighty good for 70+
trub.jpg

and still giving back from what your profile says (and IFS studs confirm) and a 2 year son? Is that what keeps you in shape?

Semper Fi, HJ

Batman97862

Banned
Just because your authorized a jacket or brown shoes doesn't mean they are mandatory. If you want to wear them fine, don't be busting others balls for doing what they want. If you do choose to wear them, do it properly, or least know how to wear them properly especially as a student. Remember as a stud, even if you're right, you're wrong. Once you're winged, and an LT I prefer the, "acknowledged Pilot" response to most of that crap.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Just because your authorized a jacket or brown shoes doesn't mean they are mandatory. If you want to wear them fine, don't be busting others balls for doing what they want. If you do choose to wear them, do it properly, or least know how to wear them properly especially as a student. Remember as a stud, even if you're right, you're wrong. Once you're winged, and an LT I prefer the, "acknowledged Pilot" response to most of that crap.

HUH ???

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Batman97862 said:

So you aren't pround of you Naval Aviation heritage? I don't know if I agree with the last statement; I've known several students that saved other's lives in the jet. Just because you have wings, doesn't mean you know it all.

My point is do want you want, and don't be a hater for others doing the same.

No hate, but lots of Ball Busting. Aviators are authorized to wear Leather & Green flight jackets. Why not take advantage of it instead of wearing your black IKE jacket or Refer? Sounds like you are either bitter or in the wrong business.

If you need some sensitivity training, we can schedule it for you. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

Batman97862

Banned
I'm proud of your mom, that doesn't mean I want to get a tattoo of her on my a$$.

Pride...the original sin.

"I don't know if I agree with the last statement; I've known several students that saved other's lives in the jet. Just because you have wings, doesn't mean you know it all."

I have wings...I know all! Superior pilots avoid situations that require there superior pilot skills.