• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
This post makes me feel bad for Huggy and Hacker for possibly having guilt by association with this asshole.

Pfft. They've got it easy; they don't have to fly with him. This douche-nozzle might be driving my ride

kc10_f18.jpg

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
When I walked in the duty office that day, I kind of did a double-take. I was thinking "WTF are you doing wearing that??" I don't even OWN one of those things and the SWO jacket is in the bowels of my closet, probably worn once.

I am getting annoyed every time I tell someone to buy brown shoes (when they are at the squadron doing the "khaki dance", when on duty or checking in), and they tell me "it's bad luck" or "I thought I'd wait until I winged".... to include the guy who was syllabus complete and STILL in black shoes.

The SWOter is even worse. I almost forgot where I was for a second. Honestly, it's NEVER been that cold that I had to wear the leather jacket. On top of which, we can wear the NOMEX flying, so I wear that in case I decide to take it to the helicopter. HOWEVER, if it does get cold enough, it's a no brainer. GROW A SACK (yes, even the female ENS on duty), and put it on. Just don't wear it out in town like some idiots (who might THAT be?) in a military town.

Didn't you wear it to a bar one day only to be caught by Master?

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
This post makes me feel bad for Huggy and Hacker for possibly having guilt by association with this asshole.

Damn it, did you have to mention our names in the same thread as this clown? I was trying to keep my skull down and out of the frag pattern.

Now, where did that scarf go...I have some ironing to do before my sortie today.

Bevo16

pilot
I was in one of the local admiral's offices last week making an appointment for a sit down. The admiral was out on travel and the only guy in the office was a commander with a SWO coat on. He was really cool, got me on the ADM's schedule and told me everything that I would need to bring with me to the meeting. As we were talking, I noticed that he had one of those "wing rings" on. I am somewhat fresh from the fleet, and still have a propensity for blurting out the truth. Before I could stop myself, my mouth had formed the words "Wow, sir, you are the first aviator that I have ever seen wear one of those SWO coats." Somewhat to my surprise (after quickly figuring out that I was kind of talking smack to a guy 3 pay-grades senior to me) he was still nice and polite. He just explained that he was FTS, and had not flown in a while, and he thought the SWO coat was warm.

I kind of felt bad afterward. I am just glad that I was not the first LT he had come across who needed a brake job on his mouth. I was just so shocked to see a senior aviator wearing one of those jackets that I could not help myself.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I was in one of the local admiral's offices last week making an appointment for a sit down. The admiral was out on travel and the only guy in the office was a commander with a SWO coat on. He was really cool, got me on the ADM's schedule and told me everything that I would need to bring with me to the meeting. As we were talking, I noticed that he had one of those "wing rings" on. I am somewhat fresh from the fleet, and still have a propensity for blurting out the truth. Before I could stop myself, my mouth had formed the words "Wow, sir, you are the first aviator that I have ever seen wear one of those SWO coats." Somewhat to my surprise (after quickly figuring out that I was kind of talking smack to a guy 3 pay-grades senior to me) he was still nice and polite. He just explained that he was FTS, and had not flown in a while, and he thought the SWO coat was warm.

I kind of felt bad afterward. I am just glad that I was not the first LT he had come across who needed a brake job on his mouth. I was just so shocked to see a senior aviator wearing one of those jackets that I could not help myself.

When I was in the VTs we had an O-6 show up to do a safety culture workshop wearing the SWO coat...I was a tad skeptical to say the least.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

When I was TAD to a Major Fleet, there were a lot of Aviators wearing the IKE. I gave them all shit for "conforming" and not wearing the Leather jacket. What do I care.....I'm just an O-4 and they were O-5's and O-6's. Most of them took it with stride....and I had a few show up with the leather on. :D

Peer pressure does work.

-ea6bflyr ;)

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...I was kind of talking smack to a guy 3 pay-grades senior to me...

That happens sometimes... But in my case, I was an E-4 and the senior was an O-4, our XO... I was on the mid-watch and was making a head run... Long story short, the XO told me to get back on watch, to which I responded, "Very well."

He responded, "I'll give you 'very well.'"

Fortunately, he had a very interesting sense of humor and was a very smooth submarine officer. He's now an O-6 and we remain in touch, after all these years.

But, alas... Back on topic...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That happens sometimes... But in my case, I was an E-4 and the senior was an O-4, our XO... I was on the mid-watch and was making a head run... Long story short, the XO told me to get back on watch, to which I responded, "Very well."

He responded, "I'll give you 'very well.'"

Fortunately, he had a very interesting sense of humor and was a very smooth submarine officer. He's now an O-6 and we remain in touch, after all these years.

But, alas... Back on topic...

You would have done better to say "Aye, aye, sir"

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW:

"Very well," is what you say when someone junior to you tells you what they've done or will do.
"Very good (sir/ma'am)," is when it's someone senior to you.

I prefer "Right on, my man." I don't recommend it, but it can be done.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After almost 45 years of wearing my Weps jacket, it needs cuffs, collar and liner repair. Does anyone know of a good repair shop for Navy Weps jackets. My email is icon@iconnetwork.org.

Thanks, phil

Are you talking about the G-8 jacket?

g8wep.jpg

If so, pretty much any good tailor shop in a Naval Air town (i.e., used to working with Nomex and knows where to get the correct stuff, so P'cola, VB, San Diego, etc) should be able to fix you up. Otherwise, you're probably looking at buying a new one. www.flightsuits.com has them for about $125.

For leather jacket restoration, Pop's Leather. Their shop is in Turkey (outside Incirlik), so shipping isn't cheap and it takes a while, but the guys I know who've had their modifications done say they do super work.