• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I say this as an instructor:

STUDENTS: WEAR YOUR GODDAMNED LEATHER JACKETS AND BROWN SHOES.

You're in Naval Aviation. Everyone rates brown shoes, and you were issued the fucking jacket. Anyone who says you don't rate it is just being a tool, and I include your fellow idiot students in that statement. And explain to me how dressing like a SWO isn't "jinxing" yourself.

Out.

I'll echo Fester's sentiment above. Wear what you have. In fact, I think I'll pass the word through STUCON that Leather Jackets are fair game.

-ea6bflyr ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, you got me...I meant sentiment. I guess my COMP SCI degree is really paying off. :D

-1 to me for being a dumb ass.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Not at all...like "when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor", you were on a roll. Didn't know if you were using an obscure play on words or what?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Word on the street is that Nomex jackets are on backorder, and only leather jackets are being issued right now (API issue). So you're either going to start seeing more leather jackets being worn, or more Ike jackets and SWOters.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
VP-24- Best VP patch ever.

Agreed... I went through high school with a 6 foot tall wooden version of that patch in my garage. -My dad was the last CO of VP-24 when they decom'ed.

East

东部
Contributor
Thanx for sharing

Here are my flight jackets- The green one I wore from 1970-1985 when an asshole Academy Grad CO outlawed it, then my Leather one which I wore throughout my career... We didn't worry bout no stinkin rules :)

Nice jackets, thanx!
Especially the double-winged nametag on the G-8 (WEP)!

S.O.B.

pilot
Here are my flight jackets- The green one I wore from 1970-1985 when an asshole Academy Grad CO outlawed it, then my Leather one which I wore throughout my career... We didn't worry bout no stinkin rules :)

Nice pics. What do you have hanging from the collar on the leather flight jacket?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice jackets, thanx!
Especially the double-winged nametag on the G-8 (WEP)!

8wepjkt.gif

That is actually a Winter Flying (Suit) jacket that could be attached to matching pants and worn in conjuction with a "poppy suit". Many call it the "WEP" jacket, but that is an Urban Legend created by commerical manufacturers who seized upon its popularity and took "WEP" the label nomeclature. WEP actually means origin of the contract: BUWEP was Bureau of Weapons that existed in same timeframe as Bureau of Ordnance and Bureau of Aeronautics (later BUAER and BUWEP were merged into NAVAIR).

The tag looks like this:

BUWEP-U.S. Navy
JACKET, WINTER FLYING SUIT
SPEC. MIL-(L)-183428 (WEP)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So True. I wore mine as a student. The other day I was on duty and the SDO had on the sweater. I was like WTF are you doing in the sweater. She said she knew she could wear the jacket but thought it was bad luck and that other studs would give her a bunch of shit. If I saw a stud in a leather jacket I wouldn't even think about it. I really don't even think I would notice it since for the past 7 years I have worked everyday around guys in flight suits and leather jackets (during the winter).

Just freaking wear it.

When I walked in the duty office that day, I kind of did a double-take. I was thinking "WTF are you doing wearing that??" I don't even OWN one of those things and the SWO jacket is in the bowels of my closet, probably worn once.

I am getting annoyed every time I tell someone to buy brown shoes (when they are at the squadron doing the "khaki dance", when on duty or checking in), and they tell me "it's bad luck" or "I thought I'd wait until I winged".... to include the guy who was syllabus complete and STILL in black shoes.

The SWOter is even worse. I almost forgot where I was for a second. Honestly, it's NEVER been that cold that I had to wear the leather jacket. On top of which, we can wear the NOMEX flying, so I wear that in case I decide to take it to the helicopter. HOWEVER, if it does get cold enough, it's a no brainer. GROW A SACK (yes, even the female ENS on duty), and put it on. Just don't wear it out in town like some idiots (who might THAT be?) in a military town.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
When I walked in the duty office that day, I kind of did a double-take. I was thinking "WTF are you doing wearing that??" I don't even OWN one of those things and the SWO jacket is in the bowels of my closet, probably worn once.

I am getting annoyed every time I tell someone to buy brown shoes (when they are at the squadron doing the "khaki dance", when on duty or checking in), and they tell me "it's bad luck" or "I thought I'd wait until I winged".... to include the guy who was syllabus complete and STILL in black shoes.

The SWOter is even worse. I almost forgot where I was for a second. Honestly, it's NEVER been that cold that I had to wear the leather jacket. On top of which, we can wear the NOMEX flying, so I wear that in case I decide to take it to the helicopter. HOWEVER, if it does get cold enough, it's a no brainer. GROW A SACK (yes, even the female ENS on duty), and put it on. Just don't wear it out in town like some idiots (who might THAT be?) in a military town.

All the new studs checking into TW-5 should have to get an etiquette briefing from you. That way they'd know that you are the final authority on uniforms and you will tell them exactly what to do.

Seriously, get off your soap box, it's boring. If they don't want to wear said items, fine, it's not like they are breaking the regulations.

Instead of telling other studs they are fvcked up (who, by the way, are doing NOTHING wrong), pass advanced instead.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I was rocking my leather jacket with a flight suit last winter and a LtCol stopped me for not having it zipped up to nametag level. My response was along the lines of,"That's a rule?!?"

"If you have it on, it has to be zipped up"

"Okay, sir..."

That correction lasted about 5 minutes. Zipped-up looks horrible.

FlyinRock

People who won't wear it and then are cold are idiots. Plain and simple. It's a coat folks. It's original intent was to keep aviators warm in open cockpits. Now it keeps them warm on cold flightlines. Unless you're too stupid to wear it.
YeHahh did you ever hit it on the head! I'M WITH YOU

Plus, sometimes, you gotta stop caring what other people think (especially when those other people are flight studs). If you like it, and it keeps you warm, then fuck the huddled masses. Apparently their flock mentality will suffice to keep them warm.
I'M WITH YOU

Wearing it when it's not cold outside just to wear it is kind of silly. As is wearing it to Seville's or on a ComAir flight home (paired with shorts and flip flops....good look...). But if it's cold, then wear it.
I'M WITH YOU.
The only caveat is when some analretentive figures it ain't cool when its cold out!
Its a jacket!!
Got my first one in 1954 and wore it proudly in Korea at K-3

rare21

pilot
Contributor
When I got commissioned my nrotc unit XO told me to get a jacket a few sizes larger...because "you will get bigger no matter what." Thank God I followed that rule, a few years of donuts, coffee and sitting in a marked unit for 8 hours a day make that jacket nice and perfect.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Zipped-up looks horrible.

Especially when it's several sizes too big!

When my class finally got to go to the greatly anticipated flightgear issue, word was already out from preceding classes that the Leather Jacket supplies were being drained rapidly due to cancellation of the coveted icon. A DLA audit had revealed much abuse in handing out leather flight jackets (any unit could order them as a NSN item so they were used for barter or to equip anyone with a fine jacket). By the time we lined up, there were only ultra large and ultra small sizes left. Ultra small was obvious, but you could get by with the larger size if you did not zip it.