• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

OldNavy

Yeah, I got a real leather one in 2001, but I am on the second set of cuffs. And they need to be replaced again.

Anyone know a good place to change them out? The PR's at my fleet sqadron would not touch it, and the local place that did it, did not do a good job.

I did a lot of sewing in my long and illustrious Naval career, but even being the PR god that I am, I wouldn't touch putting new cuffs in a leather flight jacket. It's very difficult to do correctly on a flat bed sewing machine and since the knit cuff, leather and inner lining all tend to feed at different speeds, it generally comes out looking like crap.

Most good tailor shops have a special machine with kind of a "donkey dick" base instead of a flat surface. Makes sewing on cuffs a breeze!

airfrogusmc

Aero Leather has great G-1 knits (100% wool) and do great work. They follow the old stitch holes so you can hardly tell anything was done.

butterbar201

WEARING LEATHER PRIVATELY .. or .. Wearing private purchased G-1 leather jackets

Hey all-

I just finished helo flight school and my dad as a gift wants to get me a custom flight jacket. It's still a G-1 spec just like the ones we're issued, but the collar is a honey brown wool fur and the lining is reddish. The leather is a little lighter--like a dark brown as opposed to the almost black brown we're issued. This jacket is absolutely authentic navy spec--just the specs are from the 1940s. Does anyone think that this will make any negative waves in my fleet squadron as far as being not in uniform? Does anyone have experience with this? Does anyone wear a jacket like this?

Thanks all.

John

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing a non-current issue flight jacket. Some jackass will probably ask you why you're wearing it with civvies, though, and you'll have to explain. It might make it easier on yourself to get a vintage jacket with the leather collar to differentiate it more. Unfortunately, I think that's the USAF/USAAC style.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I think the leather collar looks sweet, and have seen some navy folks wearing them (like the Blue's, for example).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the leather collar looks sweet, and have seen some navy folks wearing them (like the Blue's, for example).
Yes, but the Blues can get away with a custom jacket. The rest of us have to follow BUPERSINST whatever-it-is. You can't just buy a random leather jacket and wear it with a flight suit or khakis any more than you could get away with trying to wear a skintight blue flight suit.

That said, I've seen several people in my short aviation career that personally procure another (read better made) G-1. I plan to in the mid-to-near future. The issue one is crap.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I have a non-issue G-1. Most people don't even notice that it's different, and the ones that do think it's cool and ask where i got it and if i like it. Some other folks also have non-issue or modified issue jackets.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
The XO and head of the Navy side of the house for the ROTC department at The Institute wears his non-issue G-1 that he got custom-made in Japan.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a non-issue G-1. Most people don't even notice that it's different, and the ones that do think it's cool and ask where i got it and if i like it. Some other folks also have non-issue or modified issue jackets.

I was always fascinated by the legacy of the leather flight jacket and tradition of festooning it with patches so I suggested it as a topic to the editor of Air&Space magazine when I met him in 1986. He asked to write an article on it so I did and in the research phase, I realized how crappy the current issue jackets were in comparison to the original issue ones from the prior decades. To keep price to govt low, they had been relaxing the specification so that by the 70s, the original mouton collar had been replaced by a synthetic substitute and the goatskin leather was allowed to be replaced by anything that resembled it. After I was paid, I bought a Willis & Geiger jacket that was made to original specs. The difference was obvious and first time I wore it into the wardroom on JFK, I had people noticing it and an entire A-7 squadron used my connection to buy jackets for themselves.

Real goatskin is lighter than the curreny leather and "drapes" very well (industry term). Real mouton will turn honey brown after long exposure to the sun giving it a real vintage, salty look. The knit cuffs and waistband are also more robust and hold up better.

In a strange turn of effects, the Army Air Force canceled their A-2 leather flight jacket orders in 1942 because they had a tendancy to stiffen up in cold temperatures because it was lesser quality horse leather. Hap Arnold had worn them for years in open and unpressurized cockpits and was looking for the new technology multi-layer fabric designs to provide more warmth. So the Air Force went to the B-10 and then B-15 design jackets and the leather jackets slowly disappeared from their inventory. In 1987, the Air Force decided to bring back the flight jacket as an incentive for combat ready aircrews, but not as a piece of flight clothing (the Navy G-1 still remains a certified piece of flight clothing and only disappeared from inventory for a short period in late 70s due to supply system abuse until Lehman brought it back in early 80s). The odd circumstance was the initial issue USAF jackets in 1987 were goatskin whereas you never know what you'll get with a Navy jacket.

My advice, go get an authentic jacket (unfortunately, Willis & Geiger was bought by Land's End and then virtually disappeared and its jackets lost to history. They paid more for the raw materials than Navy was willing to pay for the finished jacket so they never bid on Navy contracts because the spec had been relaxed so much and they refused to sacrifice quality). The Vintage Leather Jacket forum is a great place to check out who is making decent jackets these days.

There is no more enduring symbol of naval aviation other than wings of gold themselves.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone think that this will make any negative waves in my fleet squadron as far as being not in uniform? Does anyone have experience with this?

Why not wear your issued one until you get a feel for the command? No reason to stand out as a new guy anymore than you have to.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
(the Navy G-1 still remains a certified piece of flight clothing and only disappeared from inventory for a short period in late 70s due to supply system abuse until Lehman brought it back in early 80s).

When you say a certified piece of flight clothing, do you mean that we're legally allowed to wear it with a flight suit, or legally allowed to fly with it. I was under the impression that it was the former and not latter. I'll have to check the uniform regs (organizational clothing section)... anyone else know where it would be mentioned (3710)?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When you say a certified piece of flight clothing, do you mean that we're legally allowed to wear it with a flight suit, or legally allowed to fly with it. I was under the impression that it was the former and not latter. I'll have to check the uniform regs (organizational clothing section)... anyone else know where it would be mentioned (3710)?

The Flight Jacket was introduced as flight clothing and not as part of the uniform. For decades, the Flight Jacket wasn't even mentioned in uniform regs because it was treated as same as coveralls (eventually replaced by flightsuits in WWII) .Things came to a head in late 70s when regional commanders (typically blackshoes) decided to clamp down on aviators wearing flight jackets and base COs had to respond accordingly.hence the "Flight Jacket wars" in the late 70s/early 80s where gate guards would confiscate the jackets and at Miramar, the offending person's CO would have to stand gate guard duty until next person was caught (which wasn't long). Cecil had a sign posted outside the gate "Warning - Flight Jacket Removal Zone" perhaps an indirect way to remind aviators to remove their jackets while warning other motorists of potentially swerving cars. At Oceana, they were not supposed to be worn outside "the fence" surrounding the hangars and aviators spoeeted dashing from their cars to the fence in a flight jacket were finded. At Pensacola, aspiring aviators would lose their jackets permanently after recently getting them if they tried wearing them through the gate...if they were in a flight suit, they'd keep the flight suit, but still get an audience with Schools Command CO. Meanwhile, USAF treated flight suit and jacket as a uniform and wore it even inside the Pentagon while Navy personnel were in summer whites during warm season and Service Dress Blue in cooler seasons.