• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was the single most enjoyable threadjack I have ever read.

Oh, and in the USMC - you can wear both green and leather flight jackets with service uniforms (except Alphas). I showed up in the battalion in my leather jacket and Charlies, and I thought some of them were going to have a heart attack!

When wearing them, what is patch policy?

fudog50

What an absurd post. As MMCO in a squadron and 26 years in Naval Aviation, its quite funny how out of whack and beyind regs we sometimes like to get. And then it takes a CWO or LDO to explain to you guys that you can't just do whatever the frick you want to do,,,there are regs.

You guys get issued a brown leather flight jacket in Pensacola unless things have changed fer cryin out loud.

It is yours for life. If you lost it or it gets ruined however it is a pain in the ASS to get a new one.

If it is worn out and needs replaced its a pain. If you lost it, we have to do a frickin survey on it. Either way we then send out a frickin message requesting a replacement to Pensacola. Then they frickin respond back with instructions where to send the worn out one to. Once they receive either the worn out one or the survey, they will issue a new one. Believe me, i been through this a few times, it is not fun.

So yes, go buy your own! It saves all of us time and money.

Then we can all laff and make fun of the new leatehr smell at every AOM.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What an absurd post. As MMCO in a squadron and 26 years in Naval Aviation.... If you lost it or it gets ruined however it is a pain in the ASS to get a new one......
Huh. What Navy did you serve in, by the way?? Different Navy than I was in..... or perhaps ... you and your Officers just don't get along ??? :)

I went through 3 leather and 3 green nylon jackets during my flying career. Used some for barter, kept 3 .... piece of cake ... no problems.

Of course, I took care of my men and they, as a result, took care of me .... :)

Perhaps that approach might have worked better for you???

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Huh. What Navy did you serve in, by the way?? Different Navy than I was in..... or perhaps ... you and your Officers just don't get along ??? :)

I went through 3 leather and 3 green nylon jackets during my flying career. Used some for barter, kept 3 .... piece of cake ... no problems.

Of course, I took care of my men and they, as a result, took care of me .... :)

Perhaps that approach might have worked better for you???

Because the leather jackets were being used to excess as incentives and barter, it flagged attention in a Defense Supply System audit in the late 70s and upon investigation, it was shown that more jackets were going through the system than there were aviators so they were cancelled as a supply item for abuse. Up until then, anyone, even SWOs could order one as they were just another NSN in the supply system. When aviators got the attention of John Lehman (when he was SECNAV), he brought back the leather jackets and brown shoes. When the jackets were reintroduced into the sytem, they were strictly controlled at Pensacola and issues against the SSN of the aviator hence the reason the jacket had to be surveyed before an new one was issued.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What an absurd post. As MMCO in a squadron and 26 years in Naval Aviation, its quite funny how out of whack and beyind regs we sometimes like to get. And then it takes a CWO or LDO to explain to you guys that you can't just do whatever the frick you want to do,,,there are regs.
Huh?? How is this any different than availing oneself of Brooks Brothers or Abbott's to pay a little extra coin for higher quality dress uniforms? Or procuring aftermarket flight gloves that are NAVAIR approved? Or getting a set of brown Belleville boots (also legal) instead of the black ones we get issued?

I'll grant you I've seen a couple privately purchased leather jackets in my brief career that were a little out there regs-wise (70's John-Travolta-esque wide collar, outside pencil pockets, etc.), but I fail to see how procuring a higher-quality jacket made to proper mil spec is somehow flouting the uniform regs or being "that guy."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Because the leather jackets were being used to excess as incentives and barter, it flagged attention in a Defense Supply System audit in the late 70s.....
Yeah ... but I think my point was the "attitude" of the "other" post which I found to be at odds with the relationship(s) I had with "the men" in general and Maint. Control in particular .... ;)

I plead "guilty as charged" to excessive flight jacket lust ... however, I am glad that the DoD plugged the cancerous $$$ hole of too many flight jackets floating around (probably saved a few million on that one, yes ???) while they continue to allow and overlook other holes in R&D and procurement that you could drive an aircraft carrier battle group through ... thus wasting billions. :)

I love it.

I'll take "my Navy" anyway, anyday ... :)

BlkPny

pilot
www.popsleather.com

They make great stuff.

Brett

Brett;

Two questions. Are the new leather jackets any different from the old Navy-issue ones from the early 70's? Are the older ones noticeably better?

Second, are Pop's jackets noticeably better than today's jackets?

I have a "slick" from the very early 70's, and if it is noticeably nicer than today's jackets, it would make a great winging gift for my son. If not, I might just get one from Pop's.

Thanks

BugDriver

pilot
The leather jacket I wear with my flight suit is from Pop's Leather.

Had them put in the fleece vest liner and *gasp* the side-entry pockets, so I can jam my hands in the pockets when I feel so inclined.

I'm MUCH happier with the one I bought from Pop's -- and it fits better too. (They take your measurements and custom-make the jacket, so no having to trade too-long sleeves for too-short torso length.)

And I've seen the "issue" jackets selling on eBay for the same as what I paid for Pop's to make mine for me -- so if some enterprising Ensign wanted to make an even swap out of it, I'd say it's possible.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Bug, did you go with the goatskin version? I saw where Pops has both the calfskin and goatskin versions. I like my issue one but if I could get one cut to fit me that'd be alot better. Thanks.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Why not wear your issued one until you get a feel for the command? No reason to stand out as a new guy anymore than you have to.

What do you recommend for those of us not fortunate enough to get issued a leather jacket in Pensacola? Apparently there are no new jackets coming through anytime soon as they don't have anybody contracted to make new jackets. At least thats what I was told during my original flight issue in summer of 06 and when I went back for Djets two months ago.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Brett;

Two questions. Are the new leather jackets any different from the old Navy-issue ones from the early 70's? Are the older ones noticeably better?

Second, are Pop's jackets noticeably better than today's jackets?

I have a "slick" from the very early 70's, and if it is noticeably nicer than today's jackets, it would make a great winging gift for my son. If not, I might just get one from Pop's.

Thanks
My private purchase G1 is leaps and bounds ahead of the crap I was issued 3.5yrs ago.

fudog50

Green Flight Jacket

Ok I've about had it with the Green Flight Jacket saga.....

I've been wearing it for 15 years now as a Chief and now CWO.

Everyone likes it, it looks good (professional) and it keeps you warm above all.

Why in the heck don't we just make it part of the uniform, instead of being shy about it?

It is the most logical and right thing to do.

Believe me, I've heard it all from many different bases.

This time around, the blackshoe Master Chief on the ship is making it his personal vendetta to get the word out that "it's NOT (redfaced, spitting, cussing) authorized off the ship".

So I say "noted Master Chief" and carry about smartly departing off the ship wearing my green flight jacket, along with the green flight jacket wearing Skipper, XO and Department Heads.

Lets open this one up for thoughts once again?

Thanks!
:icon_trou