• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery, Troisième partie: la vengeance!

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
That sunrise shot is amazing! Best I've ever seen. "Lights" was well-known throughout the east coast A-7 community for his photos which were always prominent at every Corsair Ball.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That sunrise shot is amazing! Best I've ever seen. "Lights" was well-known throughout the east coast A-7 community for his photos which were always prominent at every Corsair Ball.
We met aboard America in 82 and did 2 tours there as CAG Paddles and DH while I did back to back tours in VF-102. When I went to JFK as a DH in VF-32, he was XO in VA-72. So we did a lot of sea time together and were always in the Photo Lab at night reviewing our processed film. When he retired as Commodore of STRKFITWING, I was taking pictures from police car leading procession of Harleys from Hangar to OClub.

Pags

N/A
pilot
We met aboard America in 82 and did 2 tours there as CAG Paddles and DH while I did back to back tours in VF-102. When I went to JFK as a DH in VF-32, he was XO in VA-72. So we did a lot of sea time together and were always in the Photo Lab at night reviewing our processed film. When he retired as Commodore of STRKFITWING, I was taking pictures from police car leading procession of Harleys from Hangar to OClub.
View attachment 26297
Walleye!!!

My only reference to that specific weapon is a Lex story that involves one and the lengths some are willing to go to drop it:

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Walleye!!!

My only reference to that specific weapon is a Lex story that involves one and the lengths some are willing to go to drop it:

Walleye was here....Al Qa’im Super Phosphate Plant and reputed WMD production site for Yellowcake. It was pretty heavily defended for a fertilizer plant! It was subjected to B-52 strikes as well as F-15E missions. The B-52s missed altogether due to winds aloft and the SAMs got the F-15E senior guy. Over to Navy for attention by SLAM and Walleye producing damage seen here captured by F-14 TARPS.

The Walleye Guidance Unit was also used for SLAM although the A-6E carried the SLAM and a hapless A-7E guided it to the target. We put the first one into Al Qa’im

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Walleye was here....Al Qa’im Super Phosphate Plant and reputed WMD production site for Yellowcake. It was pretty heavily defended for a fertilizer plant! It was subjected to B-52 strikes as well as F-15E missions. The B-52s missed altogether due to winds aloft and the SAMs got the F-15E senior guy. Over to Navy for attention by SLAM and Walleye producing damage seen here captured by F-14 TARPS.

The Walleye Guidance Unit was also used for SLAM although the A-6E carried the SLAM and a hapless A-7E guided it to the target. We put the first one into Al Qa’im
That's a long way to travel from the Gulf....I'm assuming you came via the Red Sea or Med?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like HP says, we were in Red Sea with Sara for the duration. America was with us initially. We worked central and western Iraq mostly but went to Kuwait and the eastern border of Iraq routinely with assistance of USAF tankers.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I wonder if you guys ever flew over the Jordanian King's yacht on your way to or from a mission.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder if you guys ever flew over the Jordanian King's yacht on your way to or from a mission.

We steered clear of Jordan but had CAP Station watching the Northern end of Red Sea in case Iraqis tried an end run through Jordan. We were cleared to fly over Saudi Arabia but stayed 12+ nm away from Jordan.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

@Jim123, from the Red Sea, we flew due east for our tanker tracks over Saudi Arabia passing over the Hajez Railway that took the faithful to Mecca from as far north as Constantinople in heady days of the Ottoman Empire. This was the land of Bedouin Tribes that Lawrence of Arabia once roamed while interdicting the railway that the Turks used to ferry supplies and troops. And we had a grandstand view like this one in height of Desert Storm.

Last edited:

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heading to work from the Read Sea to Iraq during Desert Storm over rugged Saudi badlands once roamed by Lawrence of Arabia. You can see why he was able to elude the Turks that did not stray far from the Hajez Railway and lifeline.