• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery, Troisième partie: la vengeance!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Fearsome T-34C visiting Fallon in support of air to ground work from the Shoebox

Sigh. Seeing either of those two aircraft always make me frustrated. I really wish certain individuals hadn't pissed them away so they got taken away.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Raisin Refuelling Track over central Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm. The Strike Packages from the Red Sea formed up there on the 2-3 KC-135 tankers with plenty of give. We would send a KA-6D ahead of the normal launch to top off and provide an additional hose to tank from thereby doubling speed of topping off the Strike Packages. Tomcats shared their tanker with Prowlers and Corsairs and Intruders split the tankers that were stepped down below us.

Post mission, we would hit them again and take whatever we needed/wanted. We also had a KC -135 stationed over the Red Sea carriers 24/7 to provide fuel for CAP stations. Never had such plentiful gas in the air before or afterwards.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Maybe gone, but not forgotten

I'm not talking about the SFWS birds. I'm talking specifically about the blue one(s) you posted a picture of. 160945 and 160949. They were a good deal wasted on those that didn't know what they had.

Short version, the VS guys handed them off to HSL and were used as Opfor for LSF training. But there was only one guy in HSL land that was qualified to fly it until two just-out-of-VT-land guys showed up, both Stan IPs and one the assistant model manager (and the other who just needed a quick flight with the TW5 model manager to make him an ANI). Cost-wise, they were a fantastic resource and good-deal-wise, they were awesome to have, but there weren't enough people to fly them and the two VT guys also had DH jobs and had to deploy. Fast-forward a year and they went away. There's debate about why, but when you don't fly your allocation, it's hard to justify allocating them to someone that doesn't use them.

And even when they were going away, I managed to setup a way that the two of us could fly them both out to San Diego for drop-off, and even that got killed by an individual (a JO, no less!!!) who had no imagination or any real understanding of things T-34C.

Yes, I'm still bitter, as is the other guy.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fresh from the lost Shoebox from just shy of 30 years ago After missions to Iraq during Desert Storm, we had plenty of gas and time to do a little sightseeing on the way back to JFK in the Red Sea 26337

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ATAC Kfir flown by Lex on his last flight in March of 2012...RIP, warrior scribe
What a loss. Not just the man himself and what he didn't get to write, but that so much of what he did write has gone "poof" from the Internet when the hosting was cut off. The Wayback Machine seems to only have so much.

I will say reading the NTSB report made me think a lot differently about my personal Fallon ORM calculus re: diverts. Gave it more thought after than just "oh, Reno's right there; bingo is 3.0. Press!"

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
What a loss. Not just the man himself and what he didn't get to write, but that so much of what he did write has gone "poof" from the Internet when the hosting was cut off. The Wayback Machine seems to only have so much.

I will say reading the NTSB report made me think a lot differently about my personal Fallon ORM calculus re: diverts. Gave it more thought after than just "oh, Reno's right there; bingo is 3.0. Press!"

You may be interested in the spin off site: https://thelexicans.wordpress.com/2016/09/23/index-the-best-of-neptunus-lex/#more-17838

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
You are a bad influence, HeyJoe. I have things I should be doing rather than going through shoe boxes of old pics and slides. Had to include this one from 1975. Third time I'd gone to Oshkosh....this time with our wives/girlfriends. The three of us had been roommates in college and gone through the aviation program at U. of Illinois and had worked for Rudy Frasca. We brought our significant others to experience aviation at its finest. Camped under the wings of a flying club 182 and a Piper Warrior we'd flown in. After 45 minutes of looking at planes the first day, the girls had seen enough and were ready to sit under a shade tree. We told them we'd only just begun. Guy on the right has since retired after a career with Ozark-TWA-American. Guy in the middle retired after a corporate career and being the Chief Pilot for Marathon Oil Corp. I retired from the Navy and SWA. Pic was taken looking into the spinner of an immaculate Spartan Executive.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Days like this one were dank and gloomy below but I always loved punching through the overcast knowing it would be glorious above it. Wish I could stay airborne indefinitely on days like that but it was Slider time so hooks down and head for mother (JFK) for sliders, fries and some Dog....in the “dirty shirt”.