• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery, Troisième partie: la vengeance!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A-29B Super T at Pax River during Imminent Fury (2007-10). M3P .50 cals had just been installed and we were heading to Fallon next to drop Mk-81 live ordnance.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
P.S.

Anniversary of D-Day today! A worker at NARA found a bunch of USN Combat Camera shots from D-Day that have been rarely seen. He posted them here....https://www.flickr.com/photos/42642564@N02/albums/72157708769183367/page1

The P-38 on the beach is interesting...more research is required!

Here is the story of the airstrip and a bit more on the P-38 unit that set up operations there on 11 June 1944. Story of A-1 Airfield at St Pierre du Mont

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

By odd circumstance, I always had VA-46 and VA-72 in my Air Wing despite being in two different ones. Our Desert Shield/Storm experience was the last deployment for this venerable warhorse. They were only Corsairs in theater but they were sturdy and did great
Work over Iraq. One day I was on a TARPS mission in the Western Sector of Iraq when the AWACS called out “Any aircraft with unexpended ordnance, check in”. I was Recon Coordinator for Battle Force Red Sea so I was coordinating with all the Strike Leads to see what targets they were planning so I could plan for current TARPS prestrike and poststrike imagery. So I knew VA-72 Skipper “Shooter” Saunders was leading a strike on some barracks in the Central Sector under control of a different AWACS and I Knew he had not dropped yet because I was was planning to head that way for poststrike BDA. So I dialed in his squadron tactical radio and said “Radio Check from Hey Joe” ...He answered right away so I gave him frequency for our AWACS and told him to check in right away.

He complied and the AWACS directed him our way so we decided to orbit and see what was transpiring. Apparently, the Iraqis were looking for a Brit SAS team that had been compromised while deep inside Iraq looking for SCUD missiles. There were numerous vehicles scouring the desert that were ripe targets and the AWACS was calling in all available to suppress them in order to give the team a fighting chance. The Corsairs had a field day rolling in on the Iraqi ground forces. Soon, A-10s showed up and began patrolling the roads at 10K and using their cannon on anything that dared to move. Much later, we learned this was the Bravo Two Zero SAS Team that lost several members and only one made it to Syria and safety. The other survivors were captured trying to make it across the border.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Clansmen used to go all out and wore kilts and everything to their Dining In's and other official functions.

Clansman from 1982 timeframe with Tartan fin flash. By deploying to Desert Shield/Storm, VA-46 and VA-72 gave up their transition to Hornets but produced several Flag Officers including a 4 Star (Lobster Fitzgerald), two 3 stars (Pat Driscoll & Woody Lewis) and a Rear Admiral (Ed Fahy). We were very close to both squadrons as a Band of Brothers.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last of the VF-43 Skyhawks in 1993 heading to USNA for a motivational flyover for the Mids. Skipper Okie Nance invited me to ride along in a F-16N and being my camera.
Overhead view as we transit Chesapeake Bay.
View out Ready Room window before we walked
Overhead view as we transit Chesapeake Bay.