• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

usmc_stud

pilot
just about any one can make it through flight school. other than medical problems (which are relatively rare) the only thing that trips students up is a lack of effort. show up ready to work your tail off and you'll do fine. study way more than you think you have to and if you end of being over-prepared, tailor it back (a little). you'll get plenty of briefs about the actually numbers and what trips up most students when you show up for API, but like OttoWrote8 said, don't worry about the statistics or how everyone else did, worry about yourself and don't let them get rid of you.

vincentjus

Trouble with swimming

I need some updated gouge on the mile swim qualification. Do we take that test right away at API or is it later on in the training? Do they prepare/train us for that swim?

The reason I ask is that I went to the base pool today and the instructors said I'm going to need a LOT of work if I'm going to pass the swim qualification. I never thought my swimming was a problem until now.

I passed the 3rd class qual with no problem and was a 2nd class swimmer when I was enlisted. I've never been uncomfortable in the water, but they said my stroke techniques were bad and made me work harder than I needed to. Dead floating, treading water and retrieving the block from the bottom all went without a hitch.

I'm to report to API next month so I'd like to know what I can do to get ready. Thanks.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
They build you up to it over three or so weeks and each session gets easier and easier.
BTW, if the instructors are still the same in Newport, they were using the same scare tactics over a year ago. Don't sweat it, you won't attrite over swimming.

red_ryder

None
You're not even in API yet? You have a couple weeks before the mile swim and you do endurance swims to get ready. And if you want I think you can go in and do remedial, too. They're very helpful, so as long as you don't panic in water easily and don't give up, they'll get you through.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Every class has a few guys that are far from natural swimmers (read: rocks)... An hour is more than enough time to slog your way through the mile. Definitely not something to lose sleep over. The stories you've undoubtedly heard (or will hear) are far worse than the real thing. This seems to apply to most things you'll encounter in API and flight school in general. Good luck.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I've never been uncomfortable in the water

Then you really have NOTHING to worry about. That is the key. The only guys I saw that didn't pass the swim were guys that freaked out at some point. If you keep a cool head and don't flat out give up you'll do fine. Almost everyone in my class finished with 15-20 minutes to spare. You will get plenty of practice ahead of time. The key is just to keep moving. If you can do that and keep your cool, you WILL finish.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I was an anchor, not comfortable in the water (in Aircrew school, and in API) and still made it through. Those guys are really good at their job. I made the mile in 71 minutes, sidestroked damn near the whole thing. My advice: bring goggles and vaseline (same advice I'd give if you are going to Seville Qtr.)

Crowbar

None
I've never been uncomfortable in the water, but they said my stroke techniques were bad and made me work harder than I needed to. Dead floating, treading water and retrieving the block from the bottom all went without a hitch.

I'm to report to API next month so I'd like to know what I can do to get ready. Thanks.

Your inability to read might be more a problem than the swimming:

the first post in the thread said:
For swimming, just do what they tell you to do. If you’re comfortable in the water, you’ll be fine. The mile swim is not hard, it’s just boring. Thirty-six laps in the pool. I took my time and made full use of the glide and still finished in just over fifty minutes.

Yes they train you to do the strokes. The program is designed to take someone who knows dick about swimming and get them through. If your strokes suck, be prepared to spend some extra time with the instructors, but don't panic. Worse swimmers than you have made it through.

gotta_fly

pilot
I know that there is a PRT the first day of API, is there a weight-in also?

The weigh-in happens when you get your anthro measurements done, way before API. When I checked in (June) they had just announced that too many people were arriving fat so they said everyone had to get their measurements done within two weeks of checking in. Given the current A-Pool situation, I'd do your best to show up within standards to avoid the headache.