• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
we had a guy who basically couldn't swim when he showed up who passed the mile swim just fine

all you gotta do is float with some forward momentum and you'll pass, 80 minutes is a very long time to swim a mile.

S.O.B.

pilot
I may have posted this already but if the person has the right attitude the instructors will get them through. When I was there we would have people show up that were gong to RSS that couldn't swim and months later the would roll out as full fledged rescue swimmers. If I remember correctly there's a civilian on staff that coaches folks that are struggling.

ANGRY RIGGER

Sewing for flight suits

Ok studs, I need to know why yall are not using the Paraloft for sewing on your flight clothing. I pass word when we size you, I also give directions to your class leaders during week 3. Here is the thing, if students stop using the paraloft for sewing of flight clothing, this FREE service will go away. Just like it has in the Air Force. Plese give me some feed back on this, how we can help you guys. Short of setting up my sewing machine in BLD 633 and doing my work down there would there be an easy way for you guys to get me your clothing for sewing. This week is SLOW. I will have to go home if I get no sewing. I will even sew for instructors. Give me a call at 452-9624 (Tony) if you need help on getting them inducted.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Ok studs, I need to know why yall are not using the Paraloft for sewing on your flight clothing. I pass word when we size you, I also give directions to your class leaders during week 3. Here is the thing, if students stop using the paraloft for sewing of flight clothing, this FREE service will go away. Just like it has in the Air Force. Plese give me some feed back on this, how we can help you guys. Short of setting up my sewing machine in BLD 633 and doing my work down there would there be an easy way for you guys to get me your clothing for sewing. This week is SLOW. I will have to go home if I get no sewing. I will even sew for instructors. Give me a call at 452-9624 (Tony) if you need help on getting them inducted.

+1, much better deal than paying $40+ for all your backs at wings and things or wherever else.

UMichfly

pilot
None

+ 1 Million. I was blown away when I talked to a kid last week who was going to take his flight suits from Meridian to P'Cola for Wings 'n Things to sew his JG insignia on rather than just taking it downstairs in the hangar. Some people have no appreciation for how much booze you can buy for $40 apparently...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I didn't know that was an option for API studs. That's a great resource. After I transferred from Whiting but was still TAD at ASO school last year, you guys hooked me up when you sewed on my Hinge symbols. Appreciate the service.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
i had one flightsuit done by the place right out the front gate simply because it had to be done the next day.

i'll never go back because after 3 washes the stitching started to come undone.

my second flightsuit was done by the riggers at pcola and its stitching is still just fine, seems like much better quality in that regard.

FlyinRock

As with every department and division, no matter what its called today, you should spend some time getting to know the people who support you. The riggers are some of the best guys to know for any number of reasons. Like sewing your stuff, making up some "Cumshaw" clothing bags or pubs bags (mine are still doing good duty over 40 years later) and for personal safety gear.
Riggers are perhaps on a more personal level and I have an affinity for them having been introduced to skydiving by them back in the late 50's. Wish I had current access to the "loft".
Good people.
Semper Fi from Uganda
Rocky

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^^If not for any other reason, they can make your life hell if they don't like you.

"Sorry, sir, but we need to drop-hang you in the loft. Yes sir, Airman Bob lost the paperwork again. I know you did three times last week, sir, but those are the rules."

Neoflys1

Api

I was recently professionally recommended for pilot. I am trying to better prepare myself for everything after OCS (flight school). I don't have a superior "math" background, but I studied up to trig. However, that was years ago. I know basic math and did well on my ASTB. I was wondering if there is anything that I can do now to prepare. Or do I even need to get reacquainted with math?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was recently professionally recommended for pilot. I am trying to better prepare myself for everything after OCS (flight school). I don't have a superior "math" background, but I studied up to trig. However, that was years ago. I know basic math and did well on my ASTB. I was wondering if there is anything that I can do now to prepare. Or do I even need to get reacquainted with math?

Um... if you've just been pro-reced, then API and flight school is LIGHT YEARS away (even if you're headed to OCS in a month). It's just not a priority of yours right now. Take things one step at a time. Worry about OCS now, and API when you get there.

Seriously, they teach Music majors all they need at API, so don't worry about it. Certainly not NOW.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Like the others said. I'm almost done with academics - Music Industry major. They teach you what you need to know. Good luck at OCS. Don't F*ck it up.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I've got mixed feelings about using the riggers for sewing all the bling on my flight clothing. I took all 4 suits there as well as my jacket. It was amazing, high-quality work with free labor, but I still had to pay for all of my patches and name tags, which took two days themselves. In the end, I ended up only saving about $20-$25 over someone who went to Wings & Things, had to do all my own leg work, while they had all four suits done the next day (mine took over a week).

It's personal preference considering the trade-offs, but it is easy to see why the convienence of one stop shopping may outweigh a little extra cash for some studs.