• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
P - cant beat the very friendly ladies at Wings n Things. I walked in with all my gear, they pretty much took it all and said "we know what to do, don't worry. everything will be done monday. Dog tags included.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The riggers at NASP do good work. The guys in the Fleet...well, they try. G-d bless 'em, and they do their real job - maintaining survival gear - very well. But I never sent them any sewing jobs that didn't get screwed up somehow. Squadron patch up about an inch from the shoulder, seriously crooked, loose seams, something.

Not knocking the PR's at all (see above about never pissing off anyone who can wield a needle, lose your records, or spit in your food), but you get what you pay for. I always took any sewing jobs with me on XC's to P'cola for the Wings & Things ladies. It doesn't cost much at all and they get it right first time, every time.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The riggers at NASP do good work. The guys in the Fleet...well, they try. G-d bless 'em, and they do their real job - maintaining survival gear - very well. But I never sent them any sewing jobs that didn't get screwed up somehow. Squadron patch up about an inch from the shoulder, seriously crooked, loose seams, something.

Not knocking the PR's at all (see above about never pissing off anyone who can wield a needle, lose your records, or spit in your food), but you get what you pay for. I always took any sewing jobs with me on XC's to P'cola for the Wings & Things ladies. It doesn't cost much at all and they get it right first time, every time.

I had Wings and Things sew the patches on my leather jacket because I didn't want to see what sort of results I might get out of the PR shop. So-so job on a flight suit? Meh. So-so job on my leather jacket? Bigger deal.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
The riggers at NASP do good work. The guys in the Fleet...well, they try.

When it comes to sewing jobs, I think the fleet PRs are like guys when it comes to wedding planning. They intentionally do a crappy job hoping they won't get asked for any more help. :D

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
When it comes to sewing jobs, I think the fleet PRs are like guys when it comes to wedding planning. They intentionally do a crappy job hoping they won't get asked for any more help. :D

Like the guys I had to ask to redo my JG bars on my flight suit. apparently the new airman on the sewing machine decided that it's better for them to run port to starboard, not fore and aft.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Like the guys I had to ask to redo my JG bars on my flight suit. apparently the new airman on the sewing machine decided that it's better for them to run port to starboard, not fore and aft.

Are you kidding me? There's no way he thought thats how it was supposed to be done. It was probably more like....FNG, lets mess with him. Or yeah, they just wanted to make sure you don't come to them for future needs.

Angels

Contributor
IS THAT WHY THERE WERE FERNS ON OUR WEDDING CAKE INSTEAD OF LILIES?!!! :icon_rage You are soooo fending for yourself for dinner from now on until you die! :p

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None

No kidding. And it takes a month to get your shit back. I even had one of my arms sewed closed after getting my LT bars put on. 20 bucks or so is well worth the money for me to get it done right in town.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
No kidding. And it takes a month to get your shit back. I even had one of my arms sewed closed after getting my LT bars put on. 20 bucks or so is well worth the money for me to get it done right in town.

Back in my Mech days, some guys in my shop gave my maintenance coveralls to the PRs. They sewed one of the pant legs shut and I fell down trying to get in them the next morning.

buscemi53e

Back in my Mech days, some guys in my shop gave my maintenance coveralls to the PRs. They sewed one of the pant legs shut and I fell down trying to get in them the next morning.

I can't say for sure about the Navy. But as a maintainer in the Marine Corps, I know for a fact that a case of beer greases the most dry wheels and goes a long way when it comes to any favor.

buscemi53e

About the Marine physical fitness question. We have to do a regular Marine PFT before API for MATSG. Then you have to do the Navy PRT thing during API, if you pass the PFT do not stress the PRT. It was by far the easiest thing we did in API. As for the studying, I had basically no collegiate level science/math background and I studied a fair amount during API but none ahead of time and did fine. Admittedly if I had been a Navy SNA, I would have been on the fence but I think they had to have something like a 96 average when I went through. I think it's a little ridiculous to have a minimum standard if you have to achieve far above it to make a cut.

Alright, I just puckered up a littler there. Did you say that Navy SNA's have to have a 96 or better GPA to pass?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Periodically they've upped the min required NSS in order to cull the herd a bit.

Something to keep in mind: 80 is the minimum passing grade for each exam, but if you get low-80's on all of your exams, you won't have a high enough NSS to graduate. You may still move on to flight-side, that's up to the Skipper, but at minimum you will pick up a pink sheet for "marginal performance".

Normally I'm a big advocate of the "if the minimum wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum," school of thought, but that doesn't really apply to API.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
True dat. I know a couple people who got put on SMS immediately when they started primary for their API performance.