• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
How many here have finished the Wimpy burger or the meatball sub? I came within about 4 bites of the burger and I couldn't eat anymore.

It took me 2 days of eating that sub 3 times a day to finish it, and each meal I ate it at got me STUFFED!

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I know everyone on here is pretty much saying don't worry about studying until you start class....But is there anything specific we can memorize ahead of time that would be helpful to us?? Thanks.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I know everyone on here is pretty much saying don't worry about studying until you start class....But is there anything specific we can memorize ahead of time that would be helpful to us?? Thanks.

Not really man, unless you just feel the need to familiarize yourself with the books.

I would memorize which bars were good each night. IIRC the Dock on PB had 5$ all you can drink on wednesdays, Coyote's by the mall had a decent ladies night with plenty 'o trim running around on thursdays, TGIF's was good on tuesdays (.25c wings), florabama or Live Bait on the weekends, the Jellyfish on perdido was pretty good, so was VIP in gulf shores.

:icon_zbee

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None

Memorize which pocket of your flight suit you put your cover in so when you kick the handle on the toilet, your cover doesn't fall in. Remember to make sure all your pockets are zipped, too.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

I would agree w/ this statement, but you will hear a completely different thing when you get down here. They will tell you that you are "behind the power curve" if you haven't read the entire aero book by day 1. This is BS. For some, maybe it is important, but if you aren't an absolute rock, you should be able to figure things out with a couple hours of studying provided you pay attention in class. Oh yeah, don't use the Navy gouge crap online. It is useless b/c the ELP's at the beginning of each chapter tell you the questions you will see. So if you MUST study beforehand, just try to answer each of these objectives. I will say that I have seen a TON of over-studying and over-worrying in my classmates. You can learn everything you need to know by just being intelligent about how you study. Getting brain-f**ked over learning some obscure topic in the text, vs just learning what they TELL YOU TO KNOW (press "I believe button" here), and listening to all the horror stories that you will hear going around is a recipe for failure. Sit down, look at the ELP's, figure out what ones you don't understand, and learn them. Call it good after that, and insert other test taking skills you should have from college.

I resisted studying ahead while in A-pool, but what I DID do is start learning T-34 EP's. I have no idea if this will help, but I figured this is one area where my past flying experience and engineering degree will not help in any way. My thought is that knowing them like the back of my hand by the 1st day of Primary will only help give me more time to study the flights in detail, and help me remember them quickly when my IP is screaming at me....just my .02, keeping in mind that I don't know any more than the next guy

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I would agree w/ this statement, but you will hear a completely different thing when you get down here. They will tell you that you are "behind the power curve" if you haven't read the entire aero book by day 1. This is BS. For some, maybe it is important, but if you aren't an absolute rock, you should be able to figure things out with a couple hours of studying provided you pay attention in class. Oh yeah, don't use the Navy gouge crap online. It is useless b/c the ELP's at the beginning of each chapter tell you the questions you will see. So if you MUST study beforehand, just try to answer each of these objectives. I will say that I have seen a TON of over-studying and over-worrying in my classmates. You can learn everything you need to know by just being intelligent about how you study. Getting brain-f**ked over learning some obscure topic in the text, vs just learning what they TELL YOU TO KNOW (press "I believe button" here), and listening to all the horror stories that you will hear going around is a recipe for failure. Sit down, look at the ELP's, figure out what ones you don't understand, and learn them. Call it good after that, and insert other test taking skills you should have from college.

I resisted studying ahead while in A-pool, but what I DID do is start learning T-34 EP's. I have no idea if this will help, but I figured this is one area where my past flying experience and engineering degree will not help in any way. My thought is that knowing them like the back of my hand by the 1st day of Primary will only help give me more time to study the flights in detail....just my .02, keeping in mind that I don't know any more than the next guy

And for that reason ALONE, you're going to get sent to Vance...:D

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Oh yeah, another general tip (especially if you sit in the "pool" for a long time)....don't let yourself get to looking slovenly like some of the other ENS around you will. Haircuts occaisonally, and ironing the uniform once in a blue moon actually does make a difference in how you will be percieved. Not that you don't know this already (I know you are a prior), but just a reminder since there are more than a couple ENS rolling around who generally look like a bag of dicks (to quote a certain USMC ECMO Capt. from my roomatte's PRB)

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Not really man, unless you just feel the need to familiarize yourself with the books.

I would memorize which bars were good each night. IIRC the Dock on PB had 5$ all you can drink on wednesdays, Coyote's by the mall had a decent ladies night with plenty 'o trim running around on thursdays, TGIF's was good on tuesdays (.25c wings), florabama or Live Bait on the weekends, the Jellyfish on perdido was pretty good, so was VIP in gulf shores.

:icon_zbee
Sounds like you did your homework :D

WIDGET

anyone know what NP 1A, NP 1, NP 1B, and N 1 are?? They occur in wk 5 of api. Possibly flight physiology???