• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoos of Wings

jmcquate

Contributor
Not trying make a "get off my lawn" post......tattoos are bush league, your an officer, learn how to act like one. Advice received from a SSgt at OCS.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I guess I'm in the minority here where I support tattoos, but first and foremost you have to follow the regs. Get whatever you want as long as YOU are happy with it. Now and 60 yrs from now. I don't think there's anything wrong with them but whatever you get can make you a target, whether it be for ridicule or more nefarious purposes. Like anything in life, understand the risks and proceed with them in mind.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Not trying make a "get off my lawn" post......tattoos are bush league, your an officer, learn how to act like one.
And I think judging people by the art they place on their skin as "bush league" makes you sound like a judgmental tool.
"Bush league" is poor leadership, poor grammar (your vs. you're, look it up) and an inability to judge a person on their actions, results, and effectiveness, not their appearance.
I'm an officer, I've been entrusted with aircraft, aircrews, and weapons as a Mission Commander/PPC in my platform; and been placed in a position to engage/carry all three in one of the higher profile areas of the world during a presidential election (SOH, summer of 2012) when Iran was trying to make a "statement."
I think all of my actions were those of an officer in the Navy, and required the trust and signature of my CO.

I managed to do it despite my tattoos, which are apparently a hindrance in your eyes.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Get over yourself.

To the OP, you are a grown up. Get a tattoo if you want one. Live with whatever perceptions you will be subject to from the clean-cut types who have an image of what they think an officer should look like.
If you can't, then don't.
Pickle

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I think that's up to the person who get's the tattoo, and them only. You may not like them and that's fine, but that's their decision.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Ya, how's that gonna look when your'e 70.
Like a draft horse and a grey splotch...Guess what? I won't be an Officer in the USN when I'm 70, so who cares? Get back to your original argument that my shoulder-filly makes me less of an Officer.

jmcquate

Contributor
Just what was drilled into my my head.............albeit a long time ago.......Officers don't get tattoos. Sorry if I pushed a button.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/tattoos-of-wings.42076/page-3#post-788805
I guess I'm in the minority here where I support tattoos, but first and foremost you have to follow the regs. Get whatever you want as long as YOU are happy with it. Now and 60 yrs from now. I don't think there's anything wrong with them but whatever you get can make you a target, whether it be for ridicule or more nefarious purposes. Like anything in life, understand the risks and proceed with them in mind.
This here is the best advice so far. I personally wouldn't get a tattoo but if that's your thing bear this in mind.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
And I think judging people by the art they place on their skin as "bush league" makes you sound like a judgmental tool.
"Bush league" is poor leadership, poor grammar (your vs. you're, look it up) and an inability to judge a person on their actions, results, and effectiveness, not their appearance.
I'm an officer, I've been entrusted with aircraft, aircrews, and weapons as a Mission Commander/PPC in my platform; and been placed in a position to engage/carry all three in one of the higher profile areas of the world during a presidential election (SOH, summer of 2012) when Iran was trying to make a "statement."
I think all of my actions were those of an officer in the Navy, and required the trust and signature of my CO.

I managed to do it despite my tattoos, which are apparently a hindrance in your eyes.
View attachment 14028
View attachment 14029
Get over yourself.

To the OP, you are a grown up. Get a tattoo if you want one. Live with whatever perceptions you will be subject to from the clean-cut types who have an image of what they think an officer should look like.
If you can't, then don't.
Pickle

Nice horse ink.....heee!!!

The+Brony+President+.+Wow+its+sad+how+gay+guys+are_a39f49_3179692.jpg

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Just what was drilled into my my head.............albeit a long time ago.......Officers don't get tattoos. Sorry if I pushed a button.

It's not that you pushed a button because tattoos are to each their own, I just find it hilarious that I can almost predict a response of "how's it gonna look at 70/80/etc" when I hear people talk about getting a tattoo. For me, I can guarantee I'll be looking ragged at 80 so my tattoos will probably actually make me look better.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Although the subject of this thread is titled "Tattoos of Wings", I found it interesting that when I proudly served as a Cincinnati Police Officer (during my nice 5 year furlough "vacation" at Delta Air Lines from 2001 to 2006) that some of my peers at the police department who sported tattoos believed that I should also sport tattoos (which I did not do)...to fit into the law enforcement culture. From my experience, the law enforcement culture is very fraternal...and I mean that in a positive way.