• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoos of Wings

jbalesi

"Poop Dick"
None
I know the age old 'officers don't get tattoos' speech, but if I were to want to get one, what is the common consensus amongst the aviation community of getting a simple tattoo of your wings (on your chest/top of your arm near your shoulder/somewhere not visible in regular clothes)?

I've seen them on various salty old pilots, but I just thought I'd survey people here to see what they thought.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know the age old 'officers don't get tattoos' speech, but if I were to want to get one, what is the common consensus amongst the aviation community of getting a simple tattoo of your wings (on your chest/top of your arm near your shoulder/somewhere not visible in regular clothes)?

Not the biggest fan of ink but if you do please make sure it is good ink, the only thing worse than a cheesy tattoo is a shitty one.

I've seen them on various salty old pilots, but I just thought I'd survey people here to see what they thought.

I have seen plenty of guys get jump wings, EGA's, anchors or branch/rating insignia but I haven't seen anyone with NA or NFO wings.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you haven't seen it... for an interesting take on 'tats', google Ask the Skipper - Tattoo You (blog of August 8, 2014). If you decide to do the deed, a set of NA "crotch keys" is about as non-controversial body art as you could have.;)

There are several interesting threads on tattoos here on AW a while back, do a bit of search/research!:)
BzB

Last edited:

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Had a classmate in navy dive school get a tattoo of the device before we finished, he washed out during the last week. He wasn't the smartest tool in the shed, but I digress.

Side note, aren't all Marines required to have tattoos and find a wife that has more tattoos than they do? :)

Linky to post BZB mentioned: http://www.askskipper.com/2014/08/08/tattoo-you/

Seriously though, whatever your personal decision is, shouldn't matter what us the peanut gallery thinks! As always, anything you do can be subject to ridicule and criticism from your wardroom peers, have a thick skin!

Have you winged, and do we need to add NFO wings to your profile? If so, congrats!

John

NUFO06

None
We had a ROTC instructor who tattooed his army jump wings he earned as a cadet and a sub pin above that. He was mocked all the time, by both staff and mids. You are prob safe to get that tattoo once your out, but that is gold for the wardroom if you get it done while still wearing the uniform. It's your choice and to each his own, there are a lot worse tattoos out there then a set of wings.

CAMike

None
Contributor
AirTractor Tramp Stamp.jpg

Her "WINGS" are OK. I believe she has some affilliation at Airtractor.

Warfare specialty tattoos? Seriously? Can you imagine a SWO with gold colored cross swords? Uhg.

Sonog

pilot
I don't know you, but if I were with my buddies at the beach and I saw someone with wings tattooed on their chest, I would probably say "yo dudes look at this dbag".

Just contributing to the reactions so you know what you're getting yourself into.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To each their own. Here are some suggested tatoos:
prattandwhitney_engine_logo_tattoo_3.jpg

first_airplane_solo_tattoo_michelle_hall_3.jpg

grumman-f-14-tomcat-tattoo-navy-fighter-jet.jpg

douglas_a4_akyhawk_tattoo_navy_fighter_jesse_rix_3.jpg