• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoos of Wings

exNavyOffRec

Nice horse ink.....heee!!!

The+Brony+President+.+Wow+its+sad+how+gay+guys+are_a39f49_3179692.jpg

I see someone found a picture of what Submariners wear when underway.

exNavyOffRec

I think that's up to the person who get's the tattoo, and them only. You may not like them and that's fine, but that's their decision.

My uncle has many tattoos, and I see others that are older with tattoos, many look like crap now, not saying not to get one, but if you do try and get it in a place that isn't going to be stretch too much with age.

My grandpa, a WWII Seabee, recently died. When he was on his deathbed I went to see him, and for the first time in my life I saw a tattoo he had on his arm. It was a heart with the name "Dotty" on it. That's not my grandma's name, either. Apparently he got it while he was in the service before he met my grandma, and for some reason never got it covered up. My grandma dealt with looking at that tattoo every day for 50 years. :D I'm sure she would have rather looked at a tattoo of a Seabee logo or something. So maybe wings wouldn't be the worst option.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Tattoos are a pretty generational thing. I didn't see a tattoo on an officer until 1996 - the previous 8 years in the service I had only seen two officers with tattoos and they both came from the enlisted ranks. After that, the number of Academy grads with tattoos slowly increased, as tattoos have become more accepted by society at large. Since I grew up with a smaller number of folks tattooed, my middle-aged mind think of tattoos as a more enlisted thing in the military, but I'll guess folks younger have a different experience.

Be that as it may - tattoos are pretty common today and worn by housewives, hipster chicks, senior military officers and executives in industry-nothing really "outlaw" about 'em anymore, for the most part. The first sleeve I saw (in person) was on a third class cook on my first ship-this was in '88, and there was only one other guy on the ship that had one like it. Nowadays, I'm sure I could see a more impressive bunch of ink my local Starbucks, worn by some female 20 year old barista, who DJ's on the weekend in an all-Vegan band. And I think most arguments about their appropriateness aren't going to change anyone's mind - like skinny jeans, gauge earrings, nose piercings, and oversharing on social media, they are one of those hip things that the younger generation has embraced that they *might* regret one day, but guessing it's subjective. Will it affect some people's reaction to them (like hiring them for a job)...maybe.

It's the younger generation's job to piss off the older generation - so it has been, so shall it always be.
Me? I fight back by not letting it get to me - in fact, I raise this drink to you, young person, with your neck tattoo and jewelry hanging out of your face. I won't give a second thought to your "tribal" ear gauges and tongue piercing, as long as you are nice to me and my family, you don't drive like an idiot, and you don't slow down the line at the local supermarket by using all the change you had in your ashtray to buy something.

exNavyOffRec

Tattoos are a pretty generational thing. I didn't see a tattoo on an officer until 1996 - the previous 8 years in the service I had only seen two officers with tattoos and they both came from the enlisted ranks. After that, the number of Academy grads with tattoos slowly increased, as tattoos have become more accepted by society at large. Since I grew up with a smaller number of folks tattooed, my middle-aged mind think of tattoos as a more enlisted thing in the military, but I'll guess folks younger have a different experience.

Be that as it may - tattoos are pretty common today and worn by housewives, hipster chicks, senior military officers and executives in industry-nothing really "outlaw" about 'em anymore, for the most part. The first sleeve I saw (in person) was on a third class cook on my first ship-this was in '88, and there was only one other guy on the ship that had one like it. Nowadays, I'm sure I could see a more impressive bunch of ink my local Starbucks, worn by some female 20 year old barista, who DJ's on the weekend in an all-Vegan band. And I think most arguments about their appropriateness aren't going to change anyone's mind - like skinny jeans, gauge earrings, nose piercings, and oversharing on social media, they are one of those hip things that the younger generation has embraced that they *might* regret one day, but guessing it's subjective. Will it affect some people's reaction to them (like hiring them for a job)...maybe.

It's the younger generation's job to piss off the older generation - so it has been, so shall it always be.
Me? I fight back by not letting it get to me - in fact, I raise this drink to you, young person, with your neck tattoo and jewelry hanging out of your face. I won't give a second thought to your "tribal" ear gauges and tongue piercing, as long as you are nice to me and my family, you don't drive like an idiot, and you don't slow down the line at the local supermarket by using all the change you had in your ashtray to buy something.

You would be surprised how many places have a "cover them" policy, and the #1 reason per HR managers that people aren't called back for subsequent interviews is that the person going for the job had visible tattoos. I believe it was the Florida Highway Patrol that was recently in the news for their new policy of "cover them", so officers that have arm tattoos are having to wear long sleeved shirts.

Since I have entered the corporate world I have yet to be at any meeting or business functions where any executives had visible tattoos.

I can tell you where I have seen people working with visible tattoos, hourly manual labor positions, or positions where they don't have exposure to the public.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Yes...because tattoos clearly delineate your level of professionalism. I find it disturbing that the FHP finds tattoos incompatible with a law enforcement agency. Don't get me wrong, tats are good if it's your thing, I just wouldn't go around throwing a set of wings on your back or chest or forehead or whatever.

tattoo1.jpg tattoo2.jpg

exNavyOffRec

Yes...because tattoos clearly delineate your level of professionalism. I find it disturbing that the FHP finds tattoos incompatible with a law enforcement agency. Don't get me wrong, tats are good if it's your thing, I just wouldn't go around throwing a set of wings on your back or chest or forehead or whatever.

View attachment 14034 View attachment 14035

The FHP isn't the only one (if I have the correct Florida LE agency), many have the same policy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes...because tattoos clearly delineate your level of professionalism. I find it disturbing that the FHP finds tattoos incompatible with a law enforcement agency.

The FHP isn't the only one (if I have the correct Florida LE agency), many have the same policy.

Different rules for different agencies but from what I have seen most Federal Law Enforcement can't have tattoos visible when in 'uniform', particularly for an agency like the FBI. The DEA seems to be a bit of different story along with a few others but most seem to have some standard.

Like it or not appearances and impressions still matter and tattoos haven't gotten to the point of universal acceptance.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
You would be surprised how many places have a "cover them" policy, and the #1 reason per HR managers that people aren't called back for subsequent interviews is that the person going for the job had visible tattoos. I believe it was the Florida Highway Patrol that was recently in the news for their new policy of "cover them", so officers that have arm tattoos are having to wear long sleeved shirts.

Since I have entered the corporate world I have yet to be at any meeting or business functions where any executives had visible tattoos.

I can tell you where I have seen people working with visible tattoos, hourly manual labor positions, or positions where they don't have exposure to the public.

I wasn't talking about visible tattoos; nor was the OP - I was just talking about tattoos in general. I've seen senior government executive types (two SES's, in fact) at the gym with tattoos on their biceps, thighs, and back of the shoulder. My first tour of HQ from '90 to '94 I saw none of that at the gym. Not saying that tattoos are cool, just more accepted.
And I wouldn't be the least surpised about a "no visible" rule, hence my point about someone not getting hired, but that's a different discussion. I would be interested in the data regarding visible tattoos being the number one reason for no call back came from HR depts; I would expect it would be things like being underqualified, lousy resume, and a bad interview. I would love to show my teenage daughter data like that to convince her to keep her skin unblemished.