• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoos of Wings

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We have 5 or 6 URL Os in my squadron that have tattoos visible in short sleeve uniforms.

Working regularly with folks of all ranks from what I have seen it is still a rarity to see O's with visible tattoos.

Besides having visible tattoos wasn't really the topic of conversation... it was tattoos, and tattoos on officers in general.

If I can't see them how the heck would I know? More importantly, why would I care?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
statesman, we have drank together, and i am not at all trying to toss some salt on your game. But 70% of non-priors do not have tatts. I don't find offense with guys that do (one of my best skippers had one), but it isn't in any way the norm. That isn't really arguing anything other than to say that I don't believe it is as common as that.

I'm speaking anecdotally, don't have scientifically gathered statistics. I'm also counting tattoos period, not just ones that are visible in uniform. And I said URL Os, which includes priors. Either way, the number isn't as much the issue as is the fact that tattooing in all socioeconomic strata is increasing. The idea that officers don't get tattoos is well out of date.

@Flash, I don't know why you would care, visible or covered. But as I said the topic of discussion was getting a tattoo (particularly of wings) on chest or back or something, the whole start of this had nothing to do with whether or not it was visible. Someone made the comment that officers don't get tattoos, I say thats outdated thinking.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Like this?
davinci_helicopter_ch47_h65_backpiece_tattoo_3.jpg
Small world-turns out I work with this gent on a couple of projects, as I saw him in the gym sans shirt.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My guess is he earned them at Rucker, since he's got AF wings, as well.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My guess is he earned them at Rucker, since he's got AF wings, as well.

Those are supposed to be Army wings, the shield and wing are more pointed and he has a CH-47 hauling an artillery piece on the bottom of all that art.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Those are supposed to be Army wings, the shield and wing are more pointed and he has a CH-47 hauling an artillery piece on the bottom of all that art.

That's what I thought at first, but saw the star and thought they were AF wings and maybe he was AFSOC (yeah, I know it doesn't look like a NS Chinook, but again, the with the star!). After some brief Googling, I discovered that the Army has senior aviator wings, as well. Education complete.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, he is former Army helo driver. Haven't seen him since to tell him I saw his tat online on a forum...because that would sound weird as hell.

Unknown if he has any DaVinci-inspired tats, besides the ANA one. I'll ask, Flash.