• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo

CAMike

None
Contributor
A fine example of an inconspicuous O-2 tattoo. So artsy!

image10lp.jpg

KEITH.MAX

Banned
Others would guide us as we drove our Hummers into the aircraft..Always a scary process because if we hit the jet than we will never hear the end of it..

ISLAMABAD SPAMMER = BANNINATED

kylie

My boyfriend is in OCS right now. I was out at a bar & a guy started talking to me, telling me he was a naval officer - he had a bunch of huge navy-related tattoos. I later told my bf about it & he laughed so hard, telling me the guy was definitely just trying to use a line on me (which obviously didn't work). He said most officers that have tattoos either got them a long time ago & NONE of them have military-related tattoos.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My boyfriend is in OCS right now. I was out at a bar & a guy started talking to me, telling me he was a naval officer - he had a bunch of huge navy-related tattoos. I later told my bf about it & he laughed so hard, telling me the guy was definitely just trying to use a line on me (which obviously didn't work). He said most officers that have tattoos either got them a long time ago & NONE of them have military-related tattoos.

Your boyfriend may not be the most accurate barometer of all things Navy.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor

Ummmmm....ok. He (your BF) MUST be right, then.

kylie

I didn't say he did... it was his opinion. I wasn't saying yes or no on anything & qualified by saying it was my boyfriend, & why he would say that... Sorry if it seemed like I was saying that's the way EVERYTHING ALWAYS is. I wouldn't ever make a generalization on anything - whether it's about the navy or... anything else.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
...I was inferring that a. I'm not going to cheat on my boyfriend & b. I'm not a dogtag chaser.
I'm not sure what you thought I meant...

Ever think they might be messing with you?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Someone wants to be part of the counterculture, work as a barista in Seattle, not in the Nav/MC.

There comes a point through when the counterculture becomes the mainstream culture... Tattooing is reaching that point.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
There comes a point through when the counterculture becomes the mainstream culture... Tattooing is reaching that point.

Seriously? Maybe it's because I'm in Orange and White land, but I only know a few people with serious (visible in uniform) tats, and their either Marines or Prior enlisted ENS. No one gives a rip if you have your fraternity letters on your shoulder, but you don't see sleeved out officers running around often.

statesman

pilot
Im not suggesting that you will see punk rocker sleeved officers anytime in the near future... but American tattoo culture has exploded in recent years, and while older industries and organizations tend to be more conservative with what they view as being appropriate, newer industries (which are largely run by a younger generation) are usually very open and liberal concerning tattoos and piercings.

The general trend is tattoos and tattooing are loosing their taboo. I know of at least two O-6s who started getting tattooed AFTER making O-6. I did some concept drawings for a tattoo for one of them...

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
The most beautifully crafted tattoos seem to be the ones done by bamboo, by the old experts in the far east. Don't get a mediocre tattoo in icky primary colors.

And the important part is what is underneath the tattoo.

statesman

pilot
Ill take the machine over bamboo (or other traditional methods for that matter) any day of the week... along with modern pigments...