• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo

Jim

tattoos

i was wondering how common tattoos are in the navy officer corps. i'm a senior in college headed to ocs next july and considering getting one in an inconspicuous place like my upper arm or back (not navy related and not a marijuana leaf or anything like that). i was just wondering how the DI's and chiefs look upon tattoos and how the rest of the military in general views them. would i be the subject of ridicule as richard gere was in "officer and a gentleman", or aren't they a big deal anymore. i'm familiar with the regulations governing tattoos for the most part, but i'm just looking for any personal experiences. thanks.

-jim

SaraCoffman

I have a tattoo on lower left side of my back and will, hopefully, be getting one on the arch of my foot soon. Mine is in a pretty inconspicuous place. I don't think the DIs can look unfavorably on tattoos because they most likely have a few themselves; if they're like the military men I know. But, it would be interesting to know the experiences of those who have gone through OCS with tattoos.

SmithS

Jim
I go to OCS in November and I was told by doctors at MEPS that if I got a tattoo before OCS it could disqualify me when I got there. I'm not sure if that's true but that's what I was told. If you really want one, I'd probably wait till after you get commissioned.

leonsparx

good point, most likely the prohibition on getting tattoos prior to OCS is the risk of hepatitis. it may be in its incubation phase and not yet detectable with standard testing. this is also why you can't give blood for a certain time after getting a tattoo.

after a certain period of time--12 to 18 months if i recall correctly--you should be ok.

i am speaking in medical terms, not with regards to OCS rules, so as always "check!"

moestud

I would say that tattoos are fairly common in the navy. I have three, two of which are on my ankle, very easy to spot. I went to ocs 3 years ago and never had any problems. The DI's will find more to pick
on than your tattoos.
I had all of my tattoos before I went to OCS, only one doctor commented on them, something about making it easier to identify me should I be found dead. Nice guy ;) haha

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I can remember in OCS and TBS being told directly, "Officers don't wear Tattoos." If this statement is true or not, you got me. I do know, at least in the Corps, your Tat's better not show while in uniform. If you submit a picture for promotion or schools or what ever and you have a visible Tat, it is a BIG strike against you. Food for thought on placement of your body art. By the way, that Doctor was right. It does make you identifiable. After a helicopter accident, one of my Marines was beheaded and charred over his entire body. We were able to make out his tattoo and were able to identify him in the field. Maybe a well placed Tat isn't such a bad idea. True story......Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Ray

You can have a tattoo as long as you can't see any part of it while in a uniform. So shoulder/back/foot are usually ok. But they really don't like it when you have one.

Honk if you demand satisfaction.

Hartman

I think I'm the only person in the Oct. 26 class that does not have a tattoo. I'll see if I can get one of an anchor on my forearm before I show up. That would be f'n awesome!!!

BONE77

Hey linguist, I was in a bad mood worring about my application, and your comment about the tattoos made me laugh. That was funny, just what I needed. Take care,
BONE

Pokabrowngirl

LBFM inspector
A Tatoo will do nothing more than make you look like a person without foresight. I got one right after enlisting in the Navy. I thought it looked pretty sharp, and liked it for about 7 years. I got commissioned anyway, nobody docked my fitreps for it. However, I have spent the last five years, 10 times as much money as I paid for the thing and about 7 laser treatments to get rid of the thing. It's still there. My advice: Get a picture of the tattoo you want, put it up in front of your mirror. Look at it every day for 5 years. If you still like it, then go ahead and get it, realizing what you will have to do to get rid of it. It's just that what looks totally bitchin' to you today will look silly as $hit to you 5 or ten years from now.