• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo

jmavalos

New navy tatoo screening

LS2 Avalos
OCS- Supply

Fellow shipmates, I was wondering what is the new policy on this new"Tattoo Certificate".. Do i need to take pictures of all my tattoos and submit with my package?.. or do i only need to take pictures if they are exposed when wearing uniform or PT gear?

-note** none of my tattoos are exposed when wearing PT gear.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I WAS WONDERING WHAT KIND OF TATTOOS PEOPLE HAVE THAT ARE NAVY JET PILOTS OR SNA'S. ARE THERE ANY SPECIAL TATTOOS THAT F-18 PILOTS GET?

THIS WEEK i DECIDED TO BE A NAVY JET PILOT SO LAST NIGHT I GOT A TATTOO OF NAVY PILOT WINGS. RIGHT NOW THERE'S A RASH ALL OVER IT BUT I THINK IT WILL LOOK GOOD WHEN THE RASH IS GONE.

MY UNCLE WAS A MARINE AND HE HAS A "U.S.M.C." TATTOO THAT I LIKE A LOT. i WAS THINKING OF GETTING A "U.S.M.C." TATTOO NEXT WEEK BUT i THINK i LIKE THE NAVY BETTER. MAYBE I COULD GET A "U.S.N." TATTO AND JUST CHANGE IT LATER TO "U.S.M.C." IF I CHANGE MY MIND.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY GOOD PILOT TATTOOS?

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!

There goes a future X-34 pilot.

mschwall

Ok, so now for a legitimate tattoo question; I have tattoos on my side/upper back that cannot be covered with 4 of my hands(banner on upper back, not more than 1/4 of back. but my right side is nearly completely covered). They are not offensive in any way and cannot be seen in PT geat. Does anyone know if getting into OCS will be a problem because of that?

Prospect

I am new here and have many different questions that I'll find the appropriate threads for, but I figured I'd start here since this might be my biggest road block.

I am a 27 year old female, an art school gradute so of course I have tattoos. I haven't seen anything on here about sleeves yet; I have phoenix wings tearing through my skin that stop above my elbows, but then I have the words "Carpe" and "Diem" on each of my forearms. So these are a little more than just "a tattoo."

I want to join with the intention of being an Officer after I complete my degree, and really want to get into intel - are my sleeves going to hinder my ability to be taken seriously...?

81montedriver

pilot
I am new here and have many different questions that I'll find the appropriate threads for, but I figured I'd start here since this might be my biggest road block.

I am a 27 year old female, an art school gradute so of course I have tattoos. I haven't seen anything on here about sleeves yet; I have phoenix wings tearing through my skin that stop above my elbows, but then I have the words "Carpe" and "Diem" on each of my forearms. So these are a little more than just "a tattoo."

I want to join with the intention of being an Officer after I complete my degree, and really want to get into intel - are my sleeves going to hinder my ability to be taken seriously...?

I can only speak about the Marine Corps but absolutely they will affect your application. The Marine Corps is currently trying to scale down their numbers so applications will be more competitive. Next, officers have always been discouraged of having tattoos. This doesn't mean that they are forbidden to have them, but currently boards would prefer if you can have them all covered up by PT gear. Sleeves down to elbows won't be covered by PT gear. If you did apply you wouldn't be applying for Intel, you would be applying to become an officer and wouldn't select your MOS until afterwords.

Nonetheless, you never know until you try. I'd contact an officer recruiter if I were you and get the latest information. Good luck.

MasterBates

Being the Navy forum, I have a few friends who have a decent amount of ink and are Naval Officers. Some were priors, others were not. That being said, I'm not able to think of anyone who has them below the elbows off the top of my head.

It's allowed in the Navy. I have picked up on a "Officer tattoos should not be visible in Khakis/Whites" vibe from some leadership, but I know of at least 3 people who are not priors who have tattoos that show in whites. I'm usually around the flight suit wearing crowd all the time, so there be more people with tattooed forearms, but I'm not able to think of them off the top of my head.

Apply. The worst that can happen is they say no. I would advise against getting more tattoos in visible places until you know how the recruiter and the boards are treating them though.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
I haven't seen anything on here about sleeves yet; I have phoenix wings tearing through my skin that stop above my elbows, but then I have the words "Carpe" and "Diem" on each of my forearms. So these are a little more than just "a tattoo."

from the uniform regs

http://www.npc.navy.mil/Comman...ns/Chapter2/2201.htm

b. Location. No tattoos/body art/brands on the head, face, neck, or scalp. The neck area for purposes of this regulation is any portion visible when wearing a crew neck T-shirt or open collar uniform shirt. In addition, otherwise permissible tattoos/body art/brands on the torso area of the body shall not be visible through white uniform clothing.

c. Size. Individual tattoos/body art/brands exposed by wearing a short sleeve uniform shirt shall be no larger in size than the wearer’s hand with fingers extended and joined with the thumb touching the base of the index finger. Tattoos/body art/brands that exceed size criteria are waiverable provided they do not violate the content and/or location criteria.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Tatoos on officers. Great. How about some "inconspicuous" piercings? So, you want to work your ass off to be a Naval Aviator and then look like the average loser working at Starbucks?

If they were inconspicuous then no one would see them... I'm not pierced, but I don't see the problem.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Piercings anywhere other than the ears in women or anywhere at all for men are indeed illegal in both the Navy and USMC. Unless you want to pull the Prince Albert out for your flight physical, I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm pretty liberal on such things generally, but this is the military, not the Blue Oyster.

Someone wants to be part of the counterculture, work as a barista in Seattle, not in the Nav/MC.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Tatoos on officers. Great. How about some "inconspicuous" piercings? So, you want to work your ass off to be a Naval Aviator and then look like the average loser working at Starbucks?

Actually, Starbucks doesn't allow visible tattoos or unusual piercings. ;)

A7Dave

pilot
Actually, Starbucks doesn't allow visible tattoos or unusual piercings. ;)

My mistake. Kudos to them. It is time for the Nav to put a brake on the inroads of deviant civilian fashion statements into military life.

In regards to your Sylvia Plath quote- you know what became of her, right?

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
My mistake. Kudos to them. It is time for the Nav to put a brake on the inroads of deviant civilian fashion statements into military life.

In regards to your Sylvia Plath quote- you know what became of her, right?

Head in the oven was the one that was finally successful, IIRC.