• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
new tattoo

anybody know if getting a tattoo could hurt my chances?
i don't currently have any, but a friend offered to give me a tattoo as a gift when i got my PPL. it's nothing big, basically a stylized pair of wings that wouldn't be anywhere you could see if i had a shirt on, but since every form i fill out asks if i have any tattoos, i'm concerned about how seriously the marines look at that, and what they're looking for.

the other thing is that i don't have any tattoos, so i filled out every one of those forms accordingly. so what happens if all my paperwork says i don't have any tattoos, and i then i show up this summer with one. is that going to cost me?

i like the design and want to get it, but not if it's going to risk my odds of ending up getting the seat i want.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I doubt they'll care. My advice though, wait till you're through SERE before considering any tattoos.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Tattoos will not hurt your chances as long as they are not where they can be seen in uniform. Trust me on this, I know.

EngineGirl

saltpeter

Sorry man your chances for selection are over. Tattoes were banned by a message sent out by the CNO just yesterday. I'm Kidding!!!

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
sweet, so i'm not getting a tattoo and i found out about a whole new type of fun i get to survive. some threads pay back a lot more than you were expecting, i guess. good stuff to know, though, thanks

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
all the guys at my OSO said never to get a tatoo. If you do get one make sure you know the meaning of it and there are no hidden meanings. There was a guy applying at the same OSO as I and he was denied b/c one of his tatoos was similar to one of a white sepremecists.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
I had to get two tattoo waivers in order to get into 188... From what I have learned, the current commandant does not like tattoos all over his Marines. Excessive amounts hurt your chances as do location (must be hidden in PT clothing), and the aubject of the tattoo also effect the decission. If it isnt tasteful (your wings would most likely be fine) then you would be screwed. I almost couldn't even get a waiver for one of my tattoos (a celtic cross) because some gangs are using celtic crosses now, however, I explained that my tattoo has to do with my presbyterian background, and it is a custom tat that is nothing like any of the gang tattoos, and there was no problem. When you fill out the forms for the waiver, your OSO will take a picture of your tattoo, another of you covering it with one hand (to show that it isn't huge), and you will write a statement explaining what it is, what it means, and why you got it. If you can handle all of that, go for it, if not... just wait untill after TBS, the tat parlors will still be there in a year.

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
adam28270 said:
what kind of tatoo was it zoombyu, the Lt.Col at our unit talked about it in one of our GMT's.
i cant remember exactly but it was pretty close to a white sepremecist tatoo with only a couple things tweaked a lil bit. I was in the office while one of the guys was talking to him on the phone and the guy said he didnt know what it meant and that a friend had done it for him. What a bunch of garbage that guy was a retard.

KBayDog

Save yourself the heartache - don't get one.

Tattoos were no biggie a few years back, but they (based on design/location) have prevented some otherwise highly-qualified NCOs from earning commissions in recent years.

If you have the time, you must think about the possible consequences of each and every decision you make, no matter how minute. You have the time with this tattoo, and you never know what the policies will be like in a few years. Is it worth the risk?

(Besides - Once you earn the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, it is tattooed to your heart forever...*tear*...)

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
I have never had a problem with any of my tattoos...neither have any of my friends. Then again, they are all tasteful and you can't see any of them in PT gear (and yes, I do have more than one). I guess its better to wait than be sorry though.

EngineGirl