• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
PropStop said:
I doubt they'll care. My advice though, wait till you're through SERE before considering any tattoos.

Yea, I've heard that those POW's with tattoo's in SERE get "special attention." Great. I'm going to have tons of fun.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
flashypants said:
Yea, I've heard that those POW's with tattoo's in SERE get "special attention." Great. I'm going to have tons of fun.

The only tattoos that get any attention for any length of time at SERE are military or US related. flags, wings, etc.

BTW SERE is nothing like GI Jane.

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
zab1001 said:
The only tattoos that get any attention for any length of time at SERE are military or US related. flags, wings, etc.

BTW SERE is nothing like GI Jane.

That's a relief. Thanks zab.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
michaels601 said:
it's nothing big, basically a stylized pair of wings

Dude, are you going to be an aviator? If so (and you want a tatoo) why not wait until you get winged, then get your Marine Corps wings done.

Saves you the trouble of hassling with it now, gives you a chance to make sure it's what you want, and the military wings are cooler anyway (I'd rather have them anyway).

Just a thought anyway.

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
varmintshooter- yeah, i'm gonna hold off for now, and yeah, i might earn those wings someday, too

fly navy- really? yikes. anybody else heard of that? 'cause i'm aiming for jets.

xeo- EGA? (again, crappy with acronyms, sorry)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
michaels601 said:
fly navy- really? yikes. anybody else heard of that? 'cause i'm aiming for jets.

Yeah, I heard that if you have a tattoo, that it disqualifies you from jets.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
michaels601 said:

Yep he's right!! I knew a guy at API and his good friend had a tattoo. When they found out, they told him he couldn't fly jets! He was sooo upset that he eventually washed out. I totally forgot about this when I posted earlier!

EngineGirl

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
EngineGirl said:
Yep he's right!! I knew a guy at API and his good friend had a tatoo. When they found out, they told him he couldn't fly jets! He was sooo upset that he eventually washed out. I totally forgot about this when I posted earlier!

EngineGirl

She's right! When you show up for your NAMI they make everyone strip down and get processed before the tatoo inspection unit. If you are found to have a tatoo they put a note in your training folder to ensure that you don't get jets.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I knew there was a reason I didn't get jets...the tattoo! And the fact I didn't ask for them.

Back to the thread. Did someone say to get your chain of cmd to approve your tattoo? I think I would crap myself if a Marine asked me to approve his tattoo. Just have some common sense and don't put it on your forehead. If you get some design just because it looks cool (tribals, anyone?), then you deserve what you get. Stick to service or college designs and you'll be okay. You'll get crap at SERE no matter what. I got,"US-MUCK?!? What is USS--MUCK? (USMC)" If you have a design that discloses your MOS, e.g. pilot wings, it will probably be a debrief point. For good reason--you just told the enemy what you do.