• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
Red2 said:
She's right! When you show up for your NAMI they make everyone strip down and get processed before the tatoo inspection unit. If you are found to have a tatoo they put a note in your training folder to ensure that you don't get jets.

I am waving a HUMONGOUS, brightly-colored, neon, covered in lights, BULLSH!T flag on this one. Give me one good reason why you wouldn't be able to fly jets if you have a tattoo. This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, and if you buy it I've got a winning lottery ticket that I'll sell you for only a thousand dollars.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
flashypants said:
I am waving a HUMONGOUS, brightly-colored, neon, covered in lights, BULLSH!T flag on this one. Give me one good reason why you wouldn't be able to fly jets if you have a tattoo. This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, and if you buy it I've got a winning lottery ticket that I'll sell you for only a thousand dollars.

I think it was a joke..but then again, I have some really nice ocean front property in Arizona that I can sell for way cheap.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
flashy, I know primary and the drinking it inspires kills brain cells, but ya gotta recognize sarcasm in a post when you see it

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
zab1001 said:
flashy, I know primary and the drinking it inspires kills brain cells, but ya gotta recognize sarcasm in a post when you see it

Damn, I guess I fell right into that one. I just had a 12 hour day with a checkride and a solo (which rocked!), so I'm blaiming exhaustion. Speaking of the drinking it inspires...it's time for me to celebrate. Especially since I'm not scheduled tomorrow. The scheduling gods are smiling down upon me.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Marine Corps Tattoo Policy For Officers

The Marine Corps Tattoo policy (and process overall) for Officers is more restrictive in what you can do in comparison to the Enlisted side.

The best policy on tattoos prior to joining the Marine Corps is not to get them.

Why? Because you have to now hope that someone does not misinterpret what you're tattoo means. I've known plenty of individuals that have gotten shot down on the Officers side (even prior service Marines) because of getting something as simple as the eagle, globe, and anchor on their forearm.

If you're in the Marine Corps and plan to get them. Make sure you cannot see them when wearing a PT green T-shirt or PT Green shorts. If you do, it will effect you at some point in your career.

Think of it this way... If you were going to work for Donald Trump, do you think he would hire someone with tattoos on their NECK or somewhere else that's visible? Probably not because it's all about being a professional in the long run, and image is perception.

Remember, in most cases, you have someone that's twice all our ages making the decision on who they let into the Marine Corps, and how that person will be perceived by the public. A Marine in uniform in public is the best advertisement that the Marine Corps has. Those old guys up their in the headshed aren't going to let some hippy with a bunch of tattoo even slightly tarnish the reputation of the Marine Corps (As crazy as it may seem to some). Some might say it a bunch of crap what I've said, but I can tell you that tattoos are the fear of every OSO because all tattoos in the Marine Corps require waivers.

I hope that helps.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Survive. Evade. Resist. Escape
Hmmmmm ... that must be Army, AF, or some commercial outfit.

In the Navy/USMC the initials SERE stand for:
Survival
Evasion
Resistance
Escape

And Hollywood has yet to produce anything quite like SERE, DWEST, CWEST, or JEST.

Tattoos?
I do not know what current official policy is -- but I have read this thread and conclude that there seems to be a lot of difference of opinion on the subject of tattoos. I have always admired and respected a senior Navy PO or a USMC NCO sporting a decade(s)-old faded out eagle, trident, EG&A, "I Love Mother", --- whatever --- on their forearm. It always seemed to be representative of the "real" Navy; it went along with tailored "crackerjacks" with the cuffs turned back to reveal dragons and lightning bolts. Real "China Fleet" type Sailors/Marines, whatever that was .... they looked sharp and "salty".

But Officers with tattoos? If you already have 'em, then this discussion is moot. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but only offer an observation based upon prior experience. When I was "in" @ 12 years ago and prior, a Naval Officer with a tattoo might as well have V.D. in his medical record. A tattoo was a show-stopper and a dead-end for promotion. Period. No questions asked.

Do you really think it is any different today?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A4sForever said:
But Officers with tatoos? If you already have 'em, then this discussion is moot. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but only offer an observation based upon prior experience. When I was "in" @ 12 years ago and prior, a Naval Officer with a tatoo might as well have V.D. in his medical record. A tatoo was a show-stopper and a dead-end for promotion. Period. No questions asked.

Do you really think it is any different today?

Come on now, seriously, tattoo's don't mean **** today when it comes to being an officer and how you are promoted. Things are obviously a bit different than in your day. Though it is true, a person will be denied jets if he/she has a tattoo..........unless it's placed in a sexy spot, then it's okay :D

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You beat me to the punch Bunk. If I had a dollar for every department head I have had with a tattoo, hell, I'd have 4 dollars...

Seriously, guys, wait until AFTER you get commissioned to get any ink done, ensure it can't be construed as offensive in any way, and make sure it isn't visible in PT gear...or golf attire...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Michael W said:
You can get one wherever you want, I don't care it's your body, but if you want to fly jet's, you're going to need to get it taken off before your flight physical. We had a guy at OCS get his barbed wire around his arm removed for this specific reason, I didn't realize the scar you'd get from getting a tatoo removed. And for god's sake don't get one on your calf, that's like the epidemy of gayness.

I'm starting to become a little concerned about the gouge around here. I did read A-4'sforever response before it was removed but being the busy guy I am, I can't always respond in a timely manner. Just to clear it up, as far as I know, tattoo's do not hold you back from flying anything, nor does it hurt anyone's chances of making rank. I know jet guys with tatts, helo guys, prop guys (including me) who have tatto's. Mr A-4 only read what he wanted to and then responded. For aviation, nobody cares if you have a tattoo. C'mon people (specifically A-4sforever), lets use some common sense.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
bunk22 said:
I'm starting to become a little concerned about the gouge around here. I did read A-4'sforever response before it was removed........ Mr A-4 only read what he wanted to and then responded. For aviation, nobody cares if you have a tattoo. C'mon people (specifically A-4sforever), lets use some common sense.

No, actually, I just removed my post because I thought it was stupid. I usually try to do better than that ... nothing mysterious or thickheaded -- just a stupid post by myself. So I removed it.

But on the subject of tattoos, I was a staff observer many (15?) years ago at a command screen board and one individual did NOT screen because he had "tattoos" -- If memory serves me, a letter from a former C.O. questioned his judgement in getting them. Times and policies may have changed, I'm only relating the reality of the situation when I was "in" ...

Like I said in my earlier post, I like some tattoos, just not on me.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A4sForever said:
No, actually, I just removed my post because I thought it was stupid. I usually try to do better than that ... nothing mysterious or thickheaded -- just a stupid post by myself. So I removed it.

But on the subject of tattoos, I was a staff observer many (15?) years ago at a command screen board and one individual did NOT screen because he had "tattoos" -- If memory serves me, a letter from a former C.O. questioned his judgement in getting them. Times and policies may have changed, I'm only relating the reality of the situation when I was "in" ...

Like I said in my earlier post, I like some tattoos, just not on me.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that in your day, tattoos may have been a bad thing. Today, no. I'm talking about your standard tattoo's, not the extreme of having your entire body covered or at least like my brother with 8 on each arm. In that case, I don't have a clue. Things obviously change over the years. For example, on another website, a yound kid inquired about being a fighter pilot and an old timer (50's-60's) told him that unless he was an academy grad with 20/20 or better, he couldn't fly fighters. I spoke my piece since things have obviously changed in the last 3o years.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
my 2¢ on the topic .....

my last Skipper (Marine, LtCol, Hornet pilot) has two tattoos, one on his arm (that can be seen when he wears Chucks) and one on his back. on numerous occasions i saw him out in the 'barn' showing them off to the Marines

S/F

Crowbar

None
Here is the page 11 entry I (and everybody else) had to sign at OCS regarding tattoos:

IAW MCO P1020.34G, I have been counseled this date concering the Marine Corps Policy on tatoos, brands, and body mutilation. I fully understand that any tatoos, brands, and body mutilation that have not been previously waived by MCRC or additional tattoos, brands, and body mutilation I may receive in the future might result in my disqualification and discharge from any officer program in the United States Marine Corps. Additionally, violation of the above mentioned order may disqualify me from being commissioned as a 2nd Lt.

The uniform regs say:

1004. PERSONAL APPEARANCE
"1. Marines will present the best possible image at all times and continue to
set the example in military presence. The Marine Corps uniform regulations
for standards of personal appearance and grooming are as specific as
practicable in order to establish the parameters with which Marines must
comply. Marines are prohibited from:
(a) mutilation of the body or any body parts in any manner, and;
(b) attaching, affixing or displaying objects, articles, jewelry or ornamentation to, through or under their skin, tongue or any other body part.
Female Marines, however, may wear earrings consistent with paragraph 3009.
(c) tattoos or brands on the neck and head. In other areas of the body,
tattoos or brands that are prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale
or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps are also
prohibited.

(d) this regulation does not prohibit necessary medical or surgical procedures conducted by licensed, qualified medical personnel."

I think "discredit" is very subjective and times/policies have changed because someone a little less liberal is interpreting the rules these days. Just a guess, though. I know when I mentioned tattoo my MOI flipped out and told me to at least wait until I got to TBS. Since then the urge has passed, though....

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
phrogdriver said:
If you have a design that discloses your MOS, e.g. pilot wings, it will probably be a debrief point. For good reason--you just told the enemy what you do.

Not to be sarcastic at all, but wouldn't the enemy notice that you had just parachuted out of an aircraft? Or that you were wearing a flight suit? I have heard a lot of rumors about tattoos like this, ie Recon Marines can't have any tattoos, etc, so I am just curious how much it actually matters. For instance, for all of the Marines that have "meat tags" with all of their identifying information, or for people that do have their MOS (0311) tattooed. Not trying to be a wiseass or anything though...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just because you have a flightsuit on doesn't mean you were the pilot/nfo/aircrew/observer/sensor operator/photographer, etc etc etc. It's all about disinformation. Thats all I'll say about that. You'll learn more at SERE.

I've met plenty of Recon guys and spec ops guys with tatts, military related and not.