• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UHHHH yes it is, I know of an aviator who was an Opso for an MSG company in a very desirable part of the world.

tehsleeper

When I talked to the Staff Sgt. of my OSO's office he was telling me that as of october if you have any tattoos bigger than your hand or if you have more than 4 you're instantly DQ'ed from being selected as an officer. I also heard it's becoming near the same policy for the enlisted. I had a friend who had too many tatoos so he was forced to join the army.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
When I talked to the Staff Sgt. of my OSO's office he was telling me that as of october if you have any tattoos bigger than your hand or if you have more than 4 you're instantly DQ'ed from being selected as an officer. I also heard it's becoming near the same policy for the enlisted. I had a friend who had too many tatoos so he was forced to join the army.

I seriously doubt this is true.

Tats won't help your situation, but aside from the published regulations already out about tattoos (sleeves, gang/obscene stuff, etc) , it's not an "instant DQ".

Technically, officer tattoos are not treated differently. Realistically, they are frowned upon if they are visible in uniform.

Ecureuil444

Habitual Waster of Time
Does anybody have any additional dirt on MSG on the officer side? Is it extremely competitive, a career enhancer, etc.?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Very few spots, and many people want it. From what I know (several associates that have done it/looked into it seriously) you basically have to know somebody.

One of my Captains wants to do this next tour, and I think he has a shot because he's a prior enlisted MSG. We'll see.

Don't bank on it, but don't let the odds stop you from trying to do it either.

As far as your career goes, it'll depend on timing. Do it as a Captain and come right back to the fleet so you can be a [insert job that's good for your community here] before you miss your window.

Navy_Brat_AT

Flash said:
Welcome to the forum, nice first post......Cheech. :confused:

P.S. Just so you know, the services are becoming more restrictive of tatoos lately, especially the Marines.

I respect that comment sir, but I believe that it's not true for all of the services. I know without a doubt that the Navy does not enforce "diehard" restrictions.
For Junior Sailors, perhaps. ("A" and "C" schoolers)

lmnop

I respect that comment sir, but I believe that it's not true for all of the services. I know without a doubt that the Navy does not enforce "diehard" restrictions. For Junior Sailors, perhaps. ("A" and "C" schoolers)

The Navy definitely has a policy and there are commands that enforce it. Maybe you haven't seen it, but the regulations changed in 2006, and all it takes is one persistent Officer or Senior Enlisted that dislikes tattoos for it to become an issue in a hurry. A command I was at had that scenario and it resulted in a data call where every dude had to submit pictures of each and every tattoo they had. The data call had two goals, 1) to see if any existing tattoos violated current policy and 2) to provide a database to bounce future tattoos off of to see if they were grandfathered or in violation of the new regs. It wasn't an 'A' or 'C' school and it wasn't just directed at the junior folks.

Batman97862

Banned
I recently got a waiver for a full sleeve. I should be commissioning next week. I would say don't bring up the tattoo, where long sleeves always. But do not lie about. I was asked specifically about tattoos at least three times. Just tell the truth. Like was mentioned before, read the navy policy. If it's not on the head or neck and doesn't depict nudity, drug use, or some type of supremacy movement you can get a waiver.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
I recieved a waiver for a tribal armband.

If i go through my physical, get final selection, and sign my papers to head to OCS etc. and THEN show up to OCS with a new tattoo would that be bad?

Something like an Eagle on my chest???

My girlfriend is a bad ass tattoo artist at Outer limits in Anaheim Ca and wants to give me a going away present. Such a good deal - FREE -

Pondering this....

thunder

Could she hook me up? I want a free tat.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
If we decide to get a tattoo, do we have to get it approved first or do we just go out in town and get it done (following regs, of course).

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
^^^^Sounds like he just asked if it's better to ask permission or beg forgiveness.:D:confused::icon_wink

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
Late and semi-irrelevant question (but I don't feel like starting a whole new post about it):

What's up with the Army revising the 670-1 to OK hand and back of neck tattoos? Are they going to be lone rangers in this policy, or is the Navy/AF/USMC going to jump on it as well?

Just asking because I have a small tattoo along my hairline that I need to get removed in order to be green-lighted for anything else having to do with the Navy. Between the search function, my OR, and several retired sailors at the Legion, I'm getting mixed signals as to whether or not even removing it will make a difference.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've seen ANG crewmembers w/ neck tatts below their ears and hairline. Thought it was unusual by our standards but of course have no idea what theirs are. I guess it was legit