• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
What's up with the Army revising the 670-1 to OK hand and back of neck tattoos?

IMHO, it seems that the Army is lowering their recruiting standards in order to meet recruiting goals.

I'm getting mixed signals as to whether or not even removing it will make a difference.

Read MB's post from earlier in the thread, specifically:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=395956&postcount=102

Perception is reality with many.. Most don't care about the tat's but if you do get one who does, there is not a whole lot you can do to change their mind. You have already been written off as "not future CO/OIC/Whatever" material in their mind.
IMHO, having a visible tattoo is not going to do anything to enhance or otherwise bring value-added to your career, especially if you are going to be a newly-minted O-1.

If I were in your situation, I would interpret the "mixed signals" as a sign, and would personally have the tattoo removed.

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
If I were in your situation, I would interpret the "mixed signals" as a sign, and would personally have the tattoo removed.

It's getting removed either way, I'm just a cheap-wad and would rather put off getting it done until after I graduate--for financial reasons--if it wasn't going to make a difference as far as being DQ'ed goes. However, I'll cut it off if that's what it takes to get in the Navy (which is, strangely, a valid form of tattoo removal, according to the internet).

The only time it's visible is when my hair is up; I got it done under the pretense it was easy to hide, and before I finished being a stuck-up punk and got my act together. Such is life.

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
Another annoying tattoo (removal) question

Actually, make that questions. I used the search function, but couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for.

1. Have any of you ever had a tattoo removed to qualify for the Navy (or any other branch)?

2. Does the Navy frown upon civilian removal jobs? I hear that the military can be a little picky.

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
Did you try the search function? http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3882087 I'm not trying to be too much of a pr*ck, but there is a wealth of information on this site and questions will generally be welcomed, so long as one does the appropriate research.

I searched both tattoo and tattoo removal--while there is definitely a plethora of information, most of it isn't as specific as I need it to be. The closest I came was http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137630&highlight=tattoo+removal .

I'm asking because my OR has no clue, and I've heard a lot of conflicted information as to whether or not one is qualifiable after a tattoo removal. I was hoping someone may have gone through the removal process and have some first hand info. :)

smulet

I'm asking because my OR has no clue, and I've heard a lot of conflicted information as to whether or not one is qualifiable after a tattoo removal. I was hoping someone may have gone through the removal process and have some first hand info. :)

I don't know 100%, but my OSO just asked if I would be willing to get one of mine removed (a very small one on my wrist). So I assume it's alright... but you shouldn't assume anything... right:icon_mi_1

socalvet

Aging Tatooed prior, do I have a chance at OCS/Aviation?

Hello all,
I'm pretty new to this site and wanted to start off by thanking everyone because I have already learned a whole lot from reading these forums. Well I just wanted to get some opinions from some of you who were in a similar position as I am or know someone who has. My goal is to get accepted into Marine Corps OCS with an Air contract. But, there are a few challenges I face. Here's my background:

Just turned 28 yrs old
4 years prior active duty service
Earned B.A while still enlisted
GPA 2.8
Lots of volunteer activities (community service, volunteer firefighter, etc.)
I have not taken the ASTB or PFT yet.

I have spoken to my local OSO and she stated that for one, I would have to get an age waiver. She also stated that this may not be too difficult due to my prior service, but the bigger hurdle for me would be a tattoo waiver. I have "quarter sleeves" on both arms. Nothing offensive, but the tattoos come out of the sleeves of a pt shirt about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. You can not see them at all with a short sleeve uniform shirt on. She said a tattoo waiver may be possible but not promised. Is this true? Do I have a chance? Are the tattoo policies that strict and make it impossible or would it all depend on the rest of my package? Also, if I do get waivers for the tattoos, would my age be a problem? Is it true that my prior service and the rest of my package may help me out? What is the max age that a waiver can be given for for a candidate with prior service?

I am already studying for the ASTB and physically training for the PFT. I know I will do fine on both. I just wanted know if I have a chance or not because of the age and tatoo issues. What can I do at this point to help out my chances? Any advice would greatly be appreciated. I would be honored to have a chance to become a commissioned officer and would hate for a thing like my tattoos or age to get in the way.

Sorry for the loooong thread but I wanted to be as complete as possible and also maybe find out a thing or two that my OSO hasn't told me. Thanks again in advance for any info.

FlyinRock

I've seen a number of IFS students with tats so I'd guess it isn't an issue unless it goes way over the top with weirdness or profanity. Image and all that.......
Good luck
Ol Shy & Bashful