• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

cseesea

Tattoos...OCS

I want to go to OCS. I have read the policy and looked online for information, but I’ve got some questions and thought maybe ya’ll could help me out.

I’ve got 6 tattoos and 2 scarification pieces. Several of these are large, but none are offensive. I have a chest piece that begins very high on my chest and if I wear any kind of open shirt it’s very visible, but not visible in PT gear. A collared shirt with a button undone would reveal a fraction of it though.

I also have 2 on my calf and one on my wrist that are visible in PT gear.

[FONT=&quot]I’m going to try to get waivers regardless, but and helpful feedback would be appreciated.[/FONT]

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I want to go to OCS. I have read the policy and looked online for information, but I’ve got some questions and thought maybe ya’ll could help me out.

I’ve got 6 tattoos and 2 scarification pieces. Several of these are large, but none are offensive. I have a chest piece that begins very high on my chest and if I wear any kind of open shirt it’s very visible, but not visible in PT gear. A collared shirt with a button undone would reveal a fraction of it though.

I also have 2 on my calf and one on my wrist that are visible in PT gear.

[FONT=&quot]I’m going to try to get waivers regardless, but and helpful feedback would be appreciated.[/FONT]

The ones on your calf and wrist will pose a problem. If you cannot get a waiver then you will have to have them removed. As for being visible under an open collard shirt, you should be wearing an undershirt anyways, so it shouldn't be an issue.

There are plenty or publications available and the issue of tattoos have been discussed a lot here on air warriors.
A little use of the search function and a willingness to piece together the information will give you the answers you seek.

On the flip side, I am not sure what kind of info there is on scarification procedures, however they should be in line with the tattoo regulations.

cseesea

Thanks, that makes me relax?a bit.

[FONT=&quot]I did search. No one else had more than a couple small tats and no scars either. [/FONT]eY

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
No dude, there is a guy who posts here (that was in the original tatt thread) who has sleeves of tatts and is in Kingsville right now. I saw it in ROTC when I was a middie, mostly on STA-21/prior E's, and I never remember it being a huge issue. That said, some of the more senior folks around may take issue, you can just never tell. As for waiver, waiting on someone more qualified to comment here. Like I said, I have seen plenty of O's with visible tatts

That said, the body mutilation stuff might raise some eyebrows, but as long as it is tucked away undershirt I don't imagine too many people would notice.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Yeah I saw a guy going through MEPS who was covered in tatts, he got waivers for them all although YMMV. Contact a recruiter and he will tell you straight up what he thinks. In my experience ORs don't blow any sunshine.

You should also post under OCS or path to becoming a Naval Officer not war zone. You will get better results and irritate less.

Ajleger

Agree with everyone here. I have a decent sized one on my calf, and one on my right arm, both were waivered easily with (I think) no issue. My OSO took care of it all. I just had to submit pictures and descriptions, etc. I'm sure I'll get plenty of flak at OCS, but so does everyone else for some reason or another.

smulet

I just wanted to let those who want to know about visible tattoos that I was approved, and I have a tattoo on my wrist that can be covered by a watch.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Pill_Hacker said:
Anyone like to share stories/pics about a Navy or aviation inspired tattoo?

Yeah, the one on the back of my arm, on the Tricep. I got it when I was in the Navy, in Guam, when I was drunk.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, the one on the back of my arm, on the Tricep. I got it when I was in the Navy, in Guam, when I was drunk.

Wait, what are you trying to tell me about the next 3 years of my life? Am I going to end up like this dude?

tattoo-expo-07-set-1-102.jpg

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
^^^What a freak. Hopefully when you do go out and get trashed, you have some good friends that don't let you end up looking like that dude.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Pill_Hacker said:
Anyone like to share stories/pics about a Navy or aviation inspired tattoo?

I got a stylized EGA on my chest back in November. I don't think I have any pics of it off hand, I'll browse through my folders and see if I have any...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You can also go shoot an AK-47 while you are hammered in Guam.....I think there are weird little shops for just about anything you would want to do there