• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Quick question. I've been lurking here for awhile, but this thread is worrying me a little. I'm a college student about to apply to BDCP and I didn't even think of asking my recruiter about tattoos. I have my family crest, a hand holding a dagger with "Per Ardua" above it, on my inner forearm. It doesnt show with a longsleeve shirt, but definetly would in PT gear or short sleves. It means a lot to me and I don't want to get it removed. Am I screwed?

I would post a pic but I'm on a library computer. >_<

You're not "screwed", but it won't help. If the rest of your package is strong, you may be just as competitive as everybody else.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Considering some of the Marines and Sailors I've seen completely sleeved out, I don't think you're out of luck.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
I personally wouldn't even mention it unless specifically asked. Once you get accepted to the program, if they do find out, it's a lot more of a pain in their ass to get you out of the program (not that they would).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You've seen a lot of Marine and Navy officers "sleeved out"?

I have seen one (1). Ever.

Okay, not officers sleeved out, no. Officers with visible tattoos? Yes. If it was a big tat on your forearm or something, okay, I'd say give consideration to having it removed. But from what he's talking about - something that'll "peek out" occasionally in a short-sleeved uniform, I don't think it's a big deal.

I stand by my belief that pre-existing tats that won't be visible in summer uniform aren't a big deal, unless it says Aryan Nation 4 Life or something.

Zissou

Banned
I dont have a dog in this oddly emotional fight. And dont know the regs or social rules for the classier side of the house.

But, I don know a Navy 0-5 with a spider web on one elbow and a sleeve on the other arm. On his CO tour at this moment. Different communities may frown harshly on tats, and we are all products of our era to some degree. I dont think tattoos will be the scarlet letter that they once were.

Mumbles, you have a pic of your St. Michael?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Okay, not officers sleeved out, no. Officers with visible tattoos? Yes. If it was a big tat on your forearm or something, okay, I'd say give consideration to having it removed. But from what he's talking about - something that'll "peek out" occasionally in a short-sleeved uniform, I don't think it's a big deal.

I stand by my belief that pre-existing tats that won't be visible in summer uniform aren't a big deal, unless it says Aryan Nation 4 Life or something.

That's what he said he had.....a fairly large family crest on his forearm. Is it the end of the world? No. Is he "screwed"? No. Is this going to help him overall? No.

The bottom line is that there are likely many, many other applicants who have similar scores/grades/etc who do not have visible tats. This will make him stand out, and most likely, not in a favorable way. Now, if he rocks his tests and has a 4.0 from M.I.T. in rocket surgery, then he'll be selected tatts and all.

Now, please return to the newly revived and pointless debate of whether all of this is fair or not.

BENDER

pilot
"IT

Pennywiseclown.jpg

this is why I hate clowns:eek:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's what he said he had.....a fairly large family crest on his forearm. Is it the end of the world? No. Is he "screwed"? No. Is this going to help him overall? No.

The bottom line is that there are likely many, many other applicants who have similar scores/grades/etc who do not have visible tats. This will make him stand out, and most likely, not in a favorable way. Now, if he rocks his tests and has a 4.0 from M.I.T. in rocket surgery, then he'll be selected tatts and all.

Now, please return to the newly revived and pointless debate of whether all of this is fair or not.

Roger, I misread. On first read I thought it was on his upper arm (basically just above the inside of the elbow). But whatever.

Policy as far as I know is that thou shalt not get a tattoo on the arms, neck, etc, once you're in the Nav, but it's not a show-stopper for having one when you come in.

The kink is the "good order and discipline" loophole, used by someone who dislikes tattoos, or clowns, or the cut of your jib, or they're just narrow-minded and over-literal when it comes to the regs. I've had an O-5 try to tell me I can't shave my head because regs disallow "faddish" haircuts and shaved heads are "faddish".

So I guess to sum up, there's nothing that says ink can or should keep you out of the Navy/MC as an officer, but it can be used as a reason to make your application difficult by a recruiter who is so inclined. Sucks, but c'est la vie, c'est la guerre.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I dont have a dog in this oddly emotional fight. And dont know the regs or social rules for the classier side of the house.

But, I don know a Navy 0-5 with a spider web on one elbow and a sleeve on the other arm. On his CO tour at this moment. Different communities may frown harshly on tats, and we are all products of our era to some degree. I dont think tattoos will be the scarlet letter that they once were.

Mumbles, you have a pic of your St. Michael?

Here you go. Got in done in the PI. The Clark Holiday Inn.

Attachments

• stmiketat 001_800x600.jpg
    stmiketat 001_800x600.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 166

Easy Mac

Yeah...
The tattoo is the majority of my inner forearm. I have a 3.4, majoring in business, participate in student government and fight MMA. If that counts a a sport. Not a real technical package, but I come from an aviation family so I am told it is "in the genes."
I guess I can just work to improve my package and wear long sleeve shirts until my recruiter asks why I am wearing them in Georgia's 100 degree summer. =/