• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

LET73

Also, don't you check out with the clothes you checked in with? November 21 in the RI would be no time for wearing shorts...
They don't make you wear what you wore when you checked in. Bring extra stuff; you can store your things in your car or a classmate's car until you need it.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
Also, don't you check out with the clothes you checked in with? November 21 in the RI would be no time for wearing shorts...

Most of us checked out in our blues that afternoon. Is this not the case anymore? I recall getting a discount on the ferry ride too ;)

44magnum

the stupid questions forum could possibly benefit from fewer acronyms...we aren't there yet
PSD=Personnel Support Detachment. Basically the people who handle all the administrative stuff. They have a whole lot of power because they control your record, and have the unique ability to lose stuff when you don't treat them with the highest level of respect.

The entire USG (United States Government) can benefit from the use of fewer TLAs (three letter acronyms). It's amazing how in the Navy people throw around acronyms so much, with a general understanding of what they are, but can't actually tell you what it stands for. Even the instructions can't agree sometimes. I have seen SCAT as Small Craft Assault Team, Small Caliber Attack Team, Small Caliber Arms Team, Small Craft Action Team, and any combination of the above.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you. This isn't the 70's anymore so is it frowned upon to travel back home in uniform or against regulation?

This would be part of a force protection brief, for several years before I left the NRD, the entire area I was in was under instructions not to travel in uniform, no bus, no airline travel in uniform, etc..

Our COC was used to flying in uniform as was I but we all had to stop, I will say I saw this directive violated ALL THE TIME and the biggest violator was the Army, the second was guys coming out of USN boot camp.

44magnum

Thank you. This isn't the 70's anymore so is it frowned upon to travel back home in uniform or against regulation?
I wish it was still cool to hang out or travel in uniform but it really isn't. Nowadays nobody wears uniform unless they have too, unfortunately. Especially in areas like San Diego and Norfolk. When I graduated boot camp I was proud as hell to travel in my dress blues. Now, a guy fresh out of boot camp or OCS will get laughed at by guys that have been in awhile (I probably did, when I thought I was being cool). There's nothing official against it though except for traveling overseas. The days of the bar scene in Top Gun are no more.

Thinking about it, its really not even cool to wear a collared shirt or pants anymore at all. It's all about the cargo shorts and flipflops these days. Maybe on a formal day a shirt with sleeves even. Oh I wish for the days when people dressed themselves appropriately.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Thanks for the info. Didn't see as cool as much as a representation of who you work for, that being America. It's a shame you have to publicly duck around the fact you are in the armed forces but I get it. As for the fresh out of OCS noob vibe I feel like one should be proud of the fact they successfully made it into the brotherhood of officers and rather than be laughed at encouraged to get to where their seniors are. Hell, I would have a lot of respect for a senior who gave me a pat on the back, maybe OCS will change my perspective though. Who knows.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
The lack encouragement for traveling home in uniform is a bit odd. When I was at DCOIC (direct commission officer indoc course, the reserve version of ODS) we were encouraged to travel home in our dress blues. I was one of maybe 3 or 4 that changed to travel home.

Official word on traveling in uniform is this: Travel Uniform Regs

That being said, traveling other places in uniform is generally more hassle than anything else. I have even come to dread the drive to/from drill weekends if I don't have time to change. Stopping for gas or picking up take out on the way home always garners strange looks. I flew once in uniform and it was uncomfortable and annoying especially as my schedule was so tight that I didn't have a chance to freshen up before going straight into meetings. Not fun and do not recommend.