• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

WEGL12

VT-28
Do we start getting quizzed randomly on all the information in the OCS gouge packet the day we show up?

Candios will quiz you right away to help prepare you for RLP and other inspections. I remember our chief quizzing us some the first week as well but not as often.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
I'm assuming you're not given much time at all in that first week to prepare for gouge quizzes?
Between all the medical visits in the first week and people taking forever to get through the chow line, you have plenty of time to study. When I was there, the candios would only quiz us if we wanted them too. There's no punishment for not knowing the gouge until RLP.

Between all the medical visits in the first week and people taking forever to get through the chow line, you have plenty of time to study. When I was there, the candios would only quiz us if we wanted them too. There's no punishment for not knowing the gouge until RLP.

So chow hall is pretty laid back? In AF boot camp you couldn't even turn your head and had to perform all sorts of aerobatics just to be able to sit down without being screamed at. Then you had about ten seconds to eat anything on your plate while the skinny kid with the eating waiver got to relax like he was at Olive Garden.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
Not laid back at all. There are entry procedures which you will become painfully familiar with along with eating by the numbers etc. You'll hold your gouge pack in front of you while you wait to start eating. You tube some videos for an idea.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
So chow hall is pretty laid back? In AF boot camp you couldn't even turn your head and had to perform all sorts of aerobatics just to be able to sit down without being screamed at. Then you had about ten seconds to eat anything on your plate while the skinny kid with the eating waiver got to relax like he was at Olive Garden.

Here is a demo done for families on the morning of graduation:

Not in the slightest. You'll have to hold the gouge pack out in front of you (straight arm out) when studying, which you'll be doing pretty much whenever standing in line, waiting, etc. Eating by the numbers is gone, thank god. Nearly made me starve during indoc week, people kept chocking, etc. Also, don't assume that because you don't have to do a,b,c stupid things at boot camp that there isn't x,y,z waiting to replace it.

Here is a demo done for families on the morning of graduation:

Not in the slightest. You'll have to hold the gouge pack out in front of you (straight arm out) when studying, which you'll be doing pretty much whenever standing in line, waiting, etc. Eating by the numbers is gone, thank god. Nearly made me starve during indoc week, people kept chocking, etc. Also, don't assume that because you don't have to do a,b,c stupid things at boot camp that there isn't x,y,z waiting to replace it.

I expect OCS to be worse than boot camp in many ways but thanks for the insight and the video.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
That's kinda disappointing to hear. In bootcamp our wash was done in those laundry bags, never got clean, never got dry. I'm now mentally preparing to smell like a ripe asshole again....
Didn't have to have laundry done in the laundry bag. Did hand wash it on the floor of the shower stall half-naked crammed between several other dudes while the DI yelled "SCRUB" and we had to yell "HARDER".

Then later on they made everyone throw their PT gear into the wash together; it wasn't stamped yet, so you hopefully ended up with something that fit. But yea, after indoc week you do your own laundry, whether your class has a 'laundry body' or you just go and ask the first 1-2 people you see if they also need laundry done is up to your classmates.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
You'll have to hold the gouge pack out in front of you (straight arm out) when studying
This is what I was talking about in my previous post. As shown in the video, you'll do that until everyone gets to the table and the order is given to put it away.

Didn't have to have laundry done in the laundry bag. Did hand wash it on the floor of the shower stall half-naked crammed between several other dudes while the DI yelled "SCRUB" and we had to yell "HARDER".
None of that anymore. New Nimitz got rid of the communal showers

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Eating by the numbers is gone?!!

Yes. If I had to roll back every change made to OCS policy in the last year but one, I'd probably leave that one out.

That doesn't sound too hygenic, to say the least.

The laundry situation in new Nimitz is much better than the old building (I did half of OCS in each) - my clothes were actually clean and dry. It was a miracle.