• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

44magnum

Thanks for the info. Didn't see as cool as much as a representation of who you work for, that being America. It's a shame you have to publicly duck around the fact you are in the armed forces but I get it. As for the fresh out of OCS noob vibe I feel like one should be proud of the fact they successfully made it into the brotherhood of officers and rather than be laughed at encouraged to get to where their seniors are. Hell, I would have a lot of respect for a senior who gave me a pat on the back, maybe OCS will change my perspective though. Who knows.
I didn't mean to give you a bad impression of the Navy. I meant the ridicule would come behind your back generally from E-6 and below guys (like me!) who are disgruntled that you now outrank them because you went to college. I don't mean a senior officer is going to come up and laugh in your face. You should be proud of the Navy and to get commissioned and also to wear the uniform. If more people did it it wouldn't seem as awkward. Don't worry what other people think, and make your own waves. Just don't go out to the club or the mall because that is questionable.

And NavyOffRec's post must be regarding a regional thing, because I've never heard it and I can't find any instruction indicating such. As PenguinGal pointed out, the Uniform Regulations is the official word nationally. They'd let you know in Newport if anything's different.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
To echo NavyOffRec, it's definitely something mentioned in force protection briefs and with good reason. You can be a target for any number of people including those nasty terrorists, wacko "love not war" hippies, guys who couldn't get in and just plain people from Oregon (I kid). All jokes aside, it is often discouraged and sometimes even a pain to travel in uniform with shirt stays, uncomfortable poly-wool/CNT and trying to maintain a military appearance. I did it coming back from Newport because I grew up in NY so it was close, and I commissioned, cleaned out my war locker and jumped in my car and got the heck out of dodge. Didn't feel like changing. Definitely be proud of what you do, and if you feel like traveling in uniform, go for it. Just know the regulations regarding it from Big Navy, your regional instructions and your command. In most military towns like Norfolk, Pensacola, San Diego, Bremerton etc. it just becomes 'old news' I guess is the way to put it. As long as you follow the rules, regulations and guidelines, who cares what people think.

On a side note, the days of wearing the uniform around town are gone for many reasons, some good. IIRC, during WWII they weren't allowed to wear civilian attire or even own it because of concerns of desertion, for some guys it was all they had too. Which ties into the Ruptured Duck pin (Google it if you're tired of studying the big 3), but I digress.

LET73

Overseas (in Europe), we weren't allowed to wear the uniform to travel, as a force protection measure. For a brief period, that included the commute from home to work; that got lifted. In the US (almost typed INCONUS...), you can fly in uniform. I don't like to, but that's a personal choice that mainly stems from the time I was coming back from Afghanistan in ACUs (Army uniform, as I had been assigned to an Army unit as an individual augmentee) and pretty much the whole airport descended on me to thank me for my service and so on, to the point where they were interrupting me seeing my family. I mean, thanks, but come on. I also feel like if I'm traveling in uniform, I'm angling for an upgrade to first class. In Navy towns like Va Beach/Norfolk and San Diego, it's common to see guys in uniform pretty much everywhere (mainly running errands), so you don't stand out so much. Also, it can be fun to throw on your dress whites or blues and hit the town.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
The days of the bar scene in Top Gun are no more.

I will have you know that on a det I was on recently that women approached our squadron in the bar and asked us to sing "You've lost that loving feeling" to them - and we did. On two separate occasions.

Thinking about it, its really not even cool to wear a collared shirt or pants anymore at all. It's all about the cargo shorts and flipflops these days. Maybe on a formal day a shirt with sleeves even. Oh I wish for the days when people dressed themselves appropriately.

Oh, the humanity!

exNavyOffRec

I didn't mean to give you a bad impression of the Navy. I meant the ridicule would come behind your back generally from E-6 and below guys (like me!) who are disgruntled that you now outrank them because you went to college. I don't mean a senior officer is going to come up and laugh in your face. You should be proud of the Navy and to get commissioned and also to wear the uniform. If more people did it it wouldn't seem as awkward. Don't worry what other people think, and make your own waves. Just don't go out to the club or the mall because that is questionable.

And NavyOffRec's post must be regarding a regional thing, because I've never heard it and I can't find any instruction indicating such. As PenguinGal pointed out, the Uniform Regulations is the official word nationally. They'd let you know in Newport if anything's different.

It isn't a USN instruction but a notification from US NORTHCOM in regards to force protection, it isn't something you can find just online as far as I know, I think it comes via SIPR

I am fairly sure NORTHCOM covers the entire US

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you were INCONUS and this was relatively recently, I think someone at your command misinterpreted the FPCON measures in effect.

exNavyOffRec

If you were INCONUS and this was relatively recently, I think someone at your command misinterpreted the FPCON measures in effect.

I referenced it a few post back and should have referenced it again but I was speaking about a time 18 months ago, given what I have seen on the base recently it appears things have lightened up quite a bit.

B619

When we get our laundry done, how can we tell apart from others which shirt, underwear, socks, etc are ours? Will we get our initials stenciled on or should we write our initials on each item with a permanent marker before going to OCS?

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I think you take a day to label (sharpie) your belongings. particularly for when it gets "hurricaned" from what I understand

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
When we get our laundry done, how can we tell apart from others which shirt, underwear, socks, etc are ours? Will we get our initials stenciled on or should we write our initials on each item with a permanent marker before going to OCS?
You'll get a couple laundry bags issued and you'll stamp those. Tie it up real tight and every thing gets washed in there. I'd recommend marking your stuff too incase your bag comes undone. Candios should give you some instruction.

Along that note, don't be afraid to speak up when you're running low on clean clothes. Indocs get smelly pretty quick.
"Clean clothes and hygiene are key at OCS";)

shellHEfuseVT

Pro Rec-Y SNA
You'll get a couple laundry bags issued and you'll stamp those. Tie it up real tight and every thing gets washed in there. I'd recommend marking your stuff too incase your bag comes undone. Candios should give you some instruction.

Along that note, don't be afraid to speak up when you're running low on clean clothes. Indocs get smelly pretty quick.
"Clean clothes and hygiene are key at OCS";)
That's kinda disappointing to hear. In bootcamp our wash was done in those laundry bags, never got clean, never got dry. I'm now mentally preparing to smell like a ripe asshole again....